Todd Dodge's Principles

UNT74HM

I did a Google search on "Todd Dodge" and found the following web page that describes Todd Dodge's 10 principles as given at a speaking event. I don't remember seeing this posted.

I don't like the idea of automatically ruling out a prospect for coach just because they fall into some category such as "high school coach."

Todd Dodge's Principles

---Great post----hope most people read it, especially those who think a HS coach should not be hired.... A lot of what he said reminds me a lot of what Gordon Wood was saying when coaching at Brownwood.... He also gave motivational speeches at times.

---Some the more interesting comments were 1. Kill their will to win... Wood often had his players laugh, smile, whatever, during the 4th quarter to make the other team think they were still having fun while the opponent was dead tired and bend over. 2. He also had players pop up immediately after a play and head back to the huddle (no mouthing) --avoids a lot of stupid penalities. 3. "Never give up" is very important but equally important is the fact your opponent knows you will not give in and that you will fight to the end. I have seen a lot of them just fold in face of that, in gets into their head that they are going to lose. 4. Wood paid a lot of attention to details and spent a ridiculious amount of time on special teams-- kicking, returns, punts, punt blocking, short yardage, etc. A huge percent of plays in a game involve special teams--- not just the usual offense and defense.

--Dodge knows how to win and does not like losing.. Wood did too, he won state nine times.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Dave Lieber- Tips On Success From Todd Dodge

Tips on success from a proven winner

By Dave Lieber

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Several thousand insurance salespeople from across the nation gathered in a Dallas hotel for a company party on New Year's Day. Former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Roger Staubach, the scheduled speaker, was to pump them up for big sales in the coming year.

But first there was another speaker, someone most of them did not know: a guy named Todd Dodge.

"That's that high school coach, right?" a man in the audience asked the person beside him. "I don't know," came the answer.

Soon they would.

Dodge is the Carroll Dragons football coach who was named USA Today National Coach of the Year last month after his team won the Texas Class 5A Division II championship. As he was introduced, Dodge, wearing a dark business suit, stood quietly in a corner. Nearby, Staubach waited his turn.

When the audience learned that Dodge's team was 47-1 in the past three seasons, many in the audience shouted, "Wow!"

As Dodge walked to the podium, the applause was light. He would need to prove himself. Few understand success like insurance salespeople. In their world, you produce or else. Not unlike Texas high school football.

As Dodge spoke, he began winning over his audience. Not unlike the way he has won over players, parents and members of the Southlake community.

His principles of success are worth noting, I believe, because the same principles can apply to business or life practices.

Here is a summary of Todd Dodge's 10 principles:

1. Never underestimate the power of kindness. One small gesture can change a life forever. "People wonder what compassion has to do with football," Dodge said. When you enter his locker room, Dodge said, "Check your ego at the door. It's what I can do for someone else; not what everybody has got to do for me."

2. Kill the will of your opponent. Every team has a great desire to win. It's your job to wear the opponent down so that by the fourth quarter the opposition has nothing left. But you do.

3. Remember that success can come through short bursts of high-intensity effort. If you play 100 percent for seven seconds every time the football is snapped, "that's really only about eight minutes of playing full speed if you really think about it."

4. Visualize the game before you play it. Picture yourself playing the perfect game. He tells the quarterback, "You're going to throw seven touchdown passes." He tells the linebacker, "You're going to make the perfect tackle." When you visualize, don't let a negative thought come into your mind.

5. Know that every close game will be decided by the kicking game. It's often less-glamorous factors of a job, factors sometimes overlooked, that make the ultimate difference in success or failure.

6. Stay true. Never give up. Never give up on a play, on a series or on your teammates. Before every game, he tells his players: "Believe in yourself. If we get behind, the greatest comeback in high school football history may happen today."

7. Be result-oriented. Expect to see something you haven't seen before from the opposition. You can't say, "Coach, you didn't show us that." You must be ready to adapt during a game.

8. What you do is so loud that I can't hear what you say. "Let your playing do the talking," he said. "We don't want to be doing a bunch of mouthing out on the field."

9. Never criticize, but always encourage your teammates. Dodge said, "I never understood in football that when someone scores a touchdown everybody on the team wants to be around them. They don't need you when they score a touchdown. When they throw the interception, when they fumble the ball, when they miss a tackle, that's when they need you."

10. Show class and poise after the game. When the contest ends, shake the hands of opponents and show gratitude to your fans and supporters.

When Dodge finished, audience members, now Dodge fans, showed appreciation by giving him a standing ovation.

Staubach was up next. He looked out at the large crowd, grinned and began his talk by asking, "How do you follow a guy who was 47-1?"

Silver, still think he needs help in public speaking?

I have been over to SLC's lockerroom and offices and as I have posted before, I was completely taken by surprise at the complete show of the power of positive attitude that hits you square in the face when you walk into that place. You immediately get the point while walking down the halway's that losing is not an option there. He's played at the highest college level, he's coached at the level just below that while here at NT and was considered by the pro's as a possible coach for them. I think we will regret not going after this guy if the opportunity comes.

Rick

10. Show class and poise after the game. When the contest ends, shake the hands of opponents and show gratitude to your fans and supporters.

Wow, it's too bad our lame duck never learned that.

I have a feeling that the kids that bolted to the tunnel before the Alma Mater was played have done that for the last time.

I wonder what meangreenpop is going to do with his "sulk and sob" speech now.

Dave Lieber- Tips On Success From Todd Dodge

Tips on success from a proven winner

By Dave Lieber

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Several thousand insurance salespeople from across the nation gathered in a Dallas hotel for a company party on New Year's Day. Former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Roger Staubach, the scheduled speaker, was to pump them up for big sales in the coming year.

But first there was another speaker, someone most of them did not know: a guy named Todd Dodge.

"That's that high school coach, right?" a man in the audience asked the person beside him. "I don't know," came the answer.

Soon they would.

Dodge is the Carroll Dragons football coach who was named USA Today National Coach of the Year last month after his team won the Texas Class 5A Division II championship. As he was introduced, Dodge, wearing a dark business suit, stood quietly in a corner. Nearby, Staubach waited his turn.

When the audience learned that Dodge's team was 47-1 in the past three seasons, many in the audience shouted, "Wow!"

As Dodge walked to the podium, the applause was light. He would need to prove himself. Few understand success like insurance salespeople. In their world, you produce or else. Not unlike Texas high school football.

As Dodge spoke, he began winning over his audience. Not unlike the way he has won over players, parents and members of the Southlake community.

His principles of success are worth noting, I believe, because the same principles can apply to business or life practices.

Here is a summary of Todd Dodge's 10 principles:

1. Never underestimate the power of kindness. One small gesture can change a life forever. "People wonder what compassion has to do with football," Dodge said. When you enter his locker room, Dodge said, "Check your ego at the door. It's what I can do for someone else; not what everybody has got to do for me."

2. Kill the will of your opponent. Every team has a great desire to win. It's your job to wear the opponent down so that by the fourth quarter the opposition has nothing left. But you do.

3. Remember that success can come through short bursts of high-intensity effort. If you play 100 percent for seven seconds every time the football is snapped, "that's really only about eight minutes of playing full speed if you really think about it."

4. Visualize the game before you play it. Picture yourself playing the perfect game. He tells the quarterback, "You're going to throw seven touchdown passes." He tells the linebacker, "You're going to make the perfect tackle." When you visualize, don't let a negative thought come into your mind.

5. Know that every close game will be decided by the kicking game. It's often less-glamorous factors of a job, factors sometimes overlooked, that make the ultimate difference in success or failure.

6. Stay true. Never give up. Never give up on a play, on a series or on your teammates. Before every game, he tells his players: "Believe in yourself. If we get behind, the greatest comeback in high school football history may happen today."

7. Be result-oriented. Expect to see something you haven't seen before from the opposition. You can't say, "Coach, you didn't show us that." You must be ready to adapt during a game.

8. What you do is so loud that I can't hear what you say. "Let your playing do the talking," he said. "We don't want to be doing a bunch of mouthing out on the field."

9. Never criticize, but always encourage your teammates. Dodge said, "I never understood in football that when someone scores a touchdown everybody on the team wants to be around them. They don't need you when they score a touchdown. When they throw the interception, when they fumble the ball, when they miss a tackle, that's when they need you."

When Dodge finished, audience members, now Dodge fans, showed appreciation by giving him a standing ovation.

Staubach was up next. He looked out at the large crowd, grinned and began his talk by asking, "How do you follow a guy who was 47-1?"

Silver, still think he needs help in public speaking?

I have been over to SLC's lockerroom and offices and as I have posted before, I was completely taken by surprise at the complete show of the power of positive attitude that hits you square in the face when you walk into that place.  You immediately get the point while walking down the halway's that losing is not an option there.    He's played at the highest college level, he's coached at the level just below that while here at NT and was considered by the pro's as a possible coach for them.  I  think we will regret not going after this guy if the opportunity comes.

Rick

I didn't say he needed help, I said that I've never heard him speak, nor have I ever heard that he's a great speaker or a motivator of fans. The one video clip that I saw of him doing a commercial wasn't very impressive to me.

THIS is impressive however.

"Let's give a cheer for U N of T, cheer for the green and white"

"Victory's in store, what'er the score, our team will ever Fight FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Shoulder to shoulder, we march along, striving for vic-tor-y. Playing the game for the honor and fame and glory of UNT!

* from the 2005 Mean Green Extra-Point.

GREEN BRIGADE POST GAME CONCERT

Mean Green fans are encouraged to remain in the stands as the Green Brigade Marching Band performs their traditional post game concert.

Hmmm.....sounds like a good match to me. wink.gif

Edited by SilverEagle

I have seen Southlake Carroll's program in action. I wish I had seen Coach Dodge's words before his team met up with our beloved Plano Wildcats at Texas Stadium last December. We were undefeated coming into the match with the Dragons. We knew the job would be tough but our team's momentum was rolling like a runaway freight train and our fans were poised for the kill. He calmly proceeded to wear our Cats down and kill our will at a time when no one thought it possible. He did the same this week to the mighty Trinity team. He's got it down. My only redemption at this point would be to see him bring his class act to my class act school, UNT. Like all college teams, we have not always won every football game we played but we have always played by the rules. We have done the very best we could every year with honesty and integrity. We have won bowl games and lost some. We fans have loved our Mean Green through thick and thin for over a century now. All we need now is a shiny new stadium and a classy coach to match our team and our dead on die hard fans. Our school has historically been known as a school that was easy to get into and hell to get out of. Now we want to make our football program consistently match our academic standards because one benefits the other. Time to make it easy to come into our stadium, and hell to get out of it. There are enough teams in Texas alone to have made a kick ass conference. But several area teams & their fans have promoted themselves as "better than" for years and have been hesitant to even put us on their schedule. So if you get the nerve to play us or it looks like you can make a buck doing it we say to you, BRING IT. And when you do, it had better be your best or there'll be hell to pay.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The WORST thing NT could do is hire a high school coach. Just because a guy can give a speech doesn't mean you throw a D1 job at him. If that's the case, let's hire Tony Robbins.

Hey, if Tony Robbins has only lost one game in five years at the highest classification in the best high school football state then I say let's at least consider him.

O.K., Dodge's 10 points for success is impressive, but should be listed as 9-1/2 points. Take number 4. On the golf course, I visualize every sweet shot before I make the shot. But they sure don't always come out sweet for me! wink.gif

4.  When you visualize, don't let a negative thought come into your mind.

O.K., Dodge's 10 points for success is impressive, but should be listed as 9-1/2 points.  Take number 4.  On the golf course, I visualize every sweet shot before I make the shot.  But they sure don't always come out sweet for me! wink.gif

This is where you went wrong. You must play with negative people. wink.gif