Last for the duration

Glad To Be Green

I won't be posting for the next few weeks. During this process I have tried to keep things clear and dispel inaccurate information. In the process I made what I do now feel may have been an unintended insensitive statement about a dear friend. Randy Butler, although not well known is a very good and respected coach. In my attempt to clarify the contact reported in the newspaper article I wrote that he was not a contender. I was responding to the statements attributed to Coach Butler by the Clarion Ledger that we initially contacted him to ask if he was interested in the job which was incorrect as he initiated the contact. Any coach that would manipulate a situation like that in the media could no longer be considered for a job by me. That was the basis of that comment. I apologize as I can easily see how some may be upset.

Therefore let the rumors fly, the inaccuracies persist and the bashing of the latest mentioned candidate or me continue. I won't attempt to monitor or clarify the information on the board during the duration of this process. I love to communicate with the fans but feel it is best to refrain from any further communication until the job is complete.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Nice work, jackals. He's taking his ball and going home.

Quoner and I were just talking about how we knew you'd ruin it for the rest of us.

At least we got the one rumor denied... Thanks, RV.

Wait a second.

Those jackels were not the problem, people are always going to anxiously speculate when there is a coaching vacancy, and many are going to second guess any decision that they think anybody may be contemplating. There is a lot of anxiety and excitement with every bit of information that's revealed.

Sorry, but this sounds more like somebody was rushed and didn't word a post the way he/she really would have wanted, and the result came accross as sounding mean spirited.

Certainly nobody is owed anything throughout this process, but it would be unfortunate to let a simple faux pas stand in the way of distribution of relevant information.

Hope all realize that RV visiting this site shows his willingness to mix and mingle with the everyday fans vs. governing from an "ivory tower". Subjects himself to potential for very harsh words and treatment from all of us armchair QBs/coaches. This is a very good thing! Thanks RV! We all want the same thing for the players, university and fans. We are behind you and look forward to you picking the right coach!!

Hope all realize that RV visiting this site shows his willingness to mix and mingle with the everyday fans vs. governing from an "ivory tower".  Subjects himself to potential for very harsh words and treatment from all of us armchair QBs/coaches.  This is a very good thing!  Thanks RV!  We all want the same thing for the players, university and fans.  We are behind you and look forward to you picking the right coach!!

Absolutely !

Every time I read one of RV's posts on this board, it makes we want to dig a little deeper when it comes to supporting the athletic program. I would much rather read an emotionally charged message from the AD here, instead of getting printed material in the mail that contains a carefully worded mission statement.

While there are only a handful of regular posters here, there are probably hundreds (or thousands ?) of lurkers. IMHO, this forum is probably the best way for RV to reach the alumni that currrently follow the football program loosely, but don't currently attend the games often or help out financially.

I am really proud that we have an AD that is not afraid to speak his mind in a public place. It shows passion, interest and dedication.

I absolutely respect RV and all of his interactions with the NT fans. The first game of the year I had to pick up my season tickets from Will Call and who was behind the counter helping hand out tickets ten minutes before kick off, RV. I've got a friend who graduated from Tech that said he wouldn't be able to pick his AD out of a lineup, let alone interact with him in any form of communication. RV is a solid AD and I believe he has the best interest of NT at heart and therefore, I have faith that he will get the best coach for our situation. Not that interacting with the fans makes him a good AD, but it is an example of him going beyond his job description.

Good luck RV!

I absolutely respect RV and all of his interactions with the NT fans.  The first game of the year I had to pick up my season tickets from Will Call and who was behind the counter helping hand out tickets ten minutes before kick off, RV.  I've got a friend who graduated from Tech that said he wouldn't be able to pick his AD out of a lineup, let alone interact with him in any form of communication.  RV is a solid AD and I believe he has the best interest of NT at heart and therefore, I have faith that he will get the best coach for our situation.  Not that interacting with the fans makes him a good AD, but it is an example of him going beyond his job description.

Good luck RV!

I made an post earlier in year on how surprised I was last year to see RV in the soccer concession stand, serving....... IMO a very good way to keep the pulse of programs and see and gauge the passion of the fans, reading and participating in the blog is another good way. This year, he was a frequent visitor to the soccer home games, and made an early flight to see the finals in LaLa on a bum knee and crutches, and rushed back to airport to be back in time for what I believe was the FB game that eve. Again, certainly not your cookie cutter AD!! Would have been real easy to have watched the webcast from Denton, but he made the trip, joined the faithful 20 of us in the stands, and pulled for his program.

You know, when I was over on the USM board and the links here started to be posted, I thought that surely no I-A AD would be posting on a school's idiot forum. Don't take as offense because EagleTalk is USM's idiot forum.

I thought to myself, "No way their AD is really posting that stuff." But, then I came to my senses and remembered that RV is your AD. I am sort of glad I saw this, because it reassured my previous conviction that when the AD job opens at USM I will do everything in my power to insure that RV is not considered. I will also encourage everyone I know to voice opposition.

Thanks for the reminder Pizza Man, it seems that you've not changed a bit. You've always been the type to tell the folks what they want to hear, truth and facts be dammed.

Thanks again for reminding USM fans just how unprofessional you are.....and always were while in Hattiesburg.

I am sort of glad I saw this, because it reassured my previous conviction that when the AD job opens at USM I will do everything in my power to insure that RV is not considered.  I will also encourage everyone I know to voice opposition.

That would be wonderful. We really appreciate it because we want to keep RV around as long as possible. He does a GREAT job!

You know, when I was over on the USM board and the links here started to be posted, I thought that surely no I-A AD would be posting on a school's idiot forum.  Don't take as offense because EagleTalk is USM's idiot forum.

I thought to myself, "No way their AD is really posting that stuff."  But, then I came to my senses and remembered that RV is your AD.  I am sort of glad I saw this, because it reassured my previous conviction that when the AD job opens at USM I will do everything in my power to insure that RV is not considered.  I will also encourage everyone I know to voice opposition.

Thanks for the reminder Pizza Man, it seems that you've not changed a bit.  You've always been the type to tell the folks what they want to hear, truth and facts be dammed.

Thanks again for reminding USM fans just how unprofessional you are.....and always were while in Hattiesburg.

You're clueless, and hopefully not representative of normal USM fans.

That would be wonderful. We really appreciate it because we want to keep RV around as long as possible. He does a GREAT job!

Great, we'll both be happy for a long time then. I can assure you that very few USM fans will be jumping stumps to get him back if Giannini retires. I am happy you have him but more happy that we don't.

Great, we'll both be happy for a long time then.  I can assure you that very few USM fans will be jumping stumps to get him back if Giannini retires.  I am happy you have him but more happy that we don't.

Yep, its a good thing all the way around. After the HC hire, look for us in New Orleans, and we won't come to lose this time.

You know, when I was over on the USM board and the links here started to be posted, I thought that surely no I-A AD would be posting on a school's idiot forum.  Don't take as offense because EagleTalk is USM's idiot forum.

I thought to myself, "No way their AD is really posting that stuff."  But, then I came to my senses and remembered that RV is your AD.  I am sort of glad I saw this, because it reassured my previous conviction that when the AD job opens at USM I will do everything in my power to insure that RV is not considered.  I will also encourage everyone I know to voice opposition.

Thanks for the reminder Pizza Man, it seems that you've not changed a bit.  You've always been the type to tell the folks what they want to hear, truth and facts be dammed.

user posted image

Rick

Care to share facts, or are you just going to throw out wild claims and not support them?

Care to share facts, or are you just going to throw out wild claims and not support them?

I had a number of dealings with RV while he was at USM. The bottom line is that he never took a stand on much of anything and always told people what they wanted to hear. It was so bad that one of my buddies and I would often play a little game, when a controvertial issue would come up. I would call and bitch to RV on one side of the issue until he assured me that he felt the same way. I would then gratiously thank him for listening (which he always did). A few minutes later my buddy woudl call and bitch on the other side of the issue until RV assured him that he felt the same way and would work to make it happen, then he would thank him for his time and listening to his concern. Then we would both laugh our asses off at him.

I know the majority of you will choose not to believe this as fact, but I assure you that it is factual. RV is a great people person, when you meet him you can't help but like him. He wants so bad to make everyone around him and everyone that supports his program happy that he will always tell you what you want to hear even if it has a slim chance of actually happening.

Edited by BigSack22

While I agree with you on some points on RV. He has done great things at NT. You choosing not to disclose your name just shows your screen name to be true BigSack of doo doo.

Brett Tulloss

I had a number of dealings with RV while he was at USM.  The bottom line is that he never took a stand on much of anything and always told people what they wanted to hear.  It was so bad that one of my buddies and I would often play a little game, when a controvertial issue would come up.  I would call and bitch to RV on one side of the issue until he assured me that he felt the same way.  I would then gratiously thank him for listening (which he always did).  A few minutes later my buddy woudl call and bitch on the other side of the issue until RV assured him that he felt the same way and would work to make it happen, then he would thank him for his time and listening to his concern.  Then we would both laugh our asses off at him.

I know the majority of you will choose not to believe this as fact, but I assure you that it is factual.  RV is a great people person, when you meet him you can't help but like him.  He wants so bad to make everyone around him and everyone that supports his program happy that he will always tell you what you want to hear even if it has a slim chance of actually happening.

Talk about hard hitting facts. Man, why did we ever hire him dry.gif

Say what you will about RV's "lack of professionalism". Who cares?

Traditional professionalism involves no interaction with the people that are most important to your operation. Accessibility to the "guy in charge" is an asset that should be required of all CEO's or, in this case AD's.

I currently work for a large airline that is extremely successful and recently acquired another regional airline. The CEO is now presiding over two airlines, so I KNOW he's a busy man. That said, I've only been here a month and I've already already had two good conversations with the guy. And I'm one of 10,000 employees.

That may not mean much to anyone, but it tells me that, when the shit hits the fan, the guy is going to genuinely care. Sure, he won't remember my name 10 minutes later...but the gesture is what matters. And is it any wonder that our company remains union-free?

In RV's case (and, really, in the case of Dickey as well), I've never had anything but great interactions with him. Half the time, he remembers my name. And I'm not a donor...yet he always takes the time out to have a conversation with anyone who wants to talk. In my experience, I've never heard him say anything that he didn't try like hell to follow through on. And he keeps the most important people to his operation, the fans, well informed for the most part. Sure, he may try to ride the fence, but he has to play politics a little.

So screw traditional professionalism...

Edited by JayDub