I predict that Coach Dickey will eventually

Green Grenade II

Darrell Dickey, though not totally successfu here (won-loss record, and OOC dismal record), will land on his feet in another Head Football Coaching Job. I will be pulling for him. Maybe Mattress Mac can open doors for him in the Houston, South Texas area.

He is a good man, and he did take us to 4 SBC championships, and one win in 4 attempts in the New Orlean Bowl.

So, here's to you, Coach Dickey. Full speed ahead.

Meanwhile, back at North Texas...we will have a new Head Football Coach and probably a new football staff. Probably and new helmet design using our new logo instead of the words "North Texas." People know who we are....they'll find out on the football field.

Do you mean that Coach Dickey was also responsible for our not using our new logo on our helmets?  Now that really ticks me off.

No, Dickey didn't have enough control of the helmet logos....think about, four conference championships and bowl games with the cursive North Texas logo, ...and... five forgetable losing seasons when using the other logos.

Coincidence, I think not.

1. Coach Dickey is an outstanding man and football coach. I truly believe the FB team struggles correspond with his health problems. Hopefully that is all behind him now and he can resume his life doing what he loves best. He very much should get another chance/fresh start elsewhere. I have found him to be a man of his word and integrity.

2. Being a recent UNT fan, I have to say that the "mean green" reference is awkward. Seems that it originally started due to Joe Green and his style of play. Don't think that should have migrated to team slogan. Would like to see us go back to the Eagle emblem on helmets and be known as the Eagles. Makes for a defined, tangible mascot that portrays bravery, speed, power etc. Besides, most of my buddies that follow college FB make fun of "directional schools". Those teams typically are not powerhouses which is why you see them on the big programs non-conference schedules for easy wins. Let's move away from that associaton. Not saying we change the school name but you know what I mean.

PS. mean green references what? are we martians, green with envy, green bean people, green because of weak stomachs, greedy people of money or what? Anybody else agree?

Football Fan-Your "recentness" is showing.

Please read about the name "Mean Green" and you will understand the nickname was around before Joe Greene. It's a common mistake, but the sooner you learn the origin, the better.

Mean Green is unique. In the Denton area alone you have the Argyle Eagles, the Valley View Eagles, to say nothing about a pro team in Philadeliphia.

Mean Green stands alone like Chrimson Tide and Tulane's Green Wave.

Now,

Join the MEAN GREEN CLUB

Buy Season Tickets (you probably already are a season ticket holder)

And say out loud with me

GO MEAN GREEN

Point of information.....the Mean Green name was first given the defense in 1967, then it was commonly used for the whole team in 1968 and 1969 and then intermittently until the present time. Joe Greene was on campus and playing when the name Mean Green was given initially to the North Texas defense. Just think if Joe Greene's name when he came to the Steelers was 'Eagle Joe Greene.'

Point of information.....the Mean Green name was first given the defense in 1967, then it was commonly used for the whole team in 1968 and 1969 and then intermittently until the present time.  Joe Greene was on campus and playing when the name Mean Green was given initially to the North Texas defense.  Just think if Joe Greene's name when he came to the Steelers was 'Eagle Joe Greene.'

Joe got the "Mean Joe Greene" name only after he was a top pick of the Steelers. A Pittsburg sportswriter was confused and thought the nickname Mean Green was a refernece to Joe Greene. The headline read Steelers Draft "Mean Joe" Greene. The rest is history.

PS. mean green references what?  are we martians, green with envy, green bean people, green because of weak stomachs, greedy people of money or what? Anybody else agree?

No, I don't agree. Syracuse? Alabama? There are a plenty of "eagle" teams out there but only 1 mean green.

Mean Green is our nickname.........an eagle named Scrappy is our mascot. We have a logo that is an eagle, what more is needed?

Mean Green stands alone like Chrimson Tide and Tulane's Green Wave.

The big difference here is that both the Crimson Tide and Tulane's Green Wave can be thought of as tangible objects...Mean Green on the other hand seems like two adjectives describing nothing. I always wondered why we couldn't be officially the Mean Green EAGLES...thats still unique!

The big difference here is that both the Crimson Tide and Tulane's Green Wave can be thought of as tangible objects...Mean Green on the other hand seems like two adjectives describing nothing. I always wondered why we couldn't be officially the Mean Green EAGLES...thats still unique!

user posted image

The Mean Green are Eagles, with TEETH!

Tangible enough for ya? biggrin.gif

Rick