Our Quarterbacks

chrisfisher

Let me start by saying that I hold each player responsible for their position. However, I can't help but notice that our QB's seem to get WORSE over time. Why is that? Please correct me if I am wrong, but Daniel Meager was a highly recruited QB before a H.S. injury. And Woody Wilson thrilled us all as a "raw" QB in our opening games. Since Woody started getting most of the snaps in practice, he performance has deteriorated. In fact, Woody looked like Meager last night. In short, our QB's go from Pimp to Gimp, Hot to Not the more time they spend in our system. Please discuss.

There are 2 big problems with the QBs right now.

1. Dickey needs to pick 1 and stick with them. I think alot of Wilson's mistakes were him trying to hard to make something happen for fear he would get benched if he didn't. Name a QB and let him develop rythem with the O. Stop the QB switching!

2. The O-Line is getting dominated. I blame this on poor coaching and lack of motivation . They have the size and talent to play ALOT better. The sack from the blind side that caused Wilson to fubmle on the opening drive was a missed assignment by Venegas.

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

2. The O-Line is getting dominated.  I blame this on poor coaching and lack of motivation .  They have the size and talent to play ALOT better.  The sack from the blind side that caused Wilson to fubmle on the opening drive was a missed assignment by Venegas.

"In 2001 Etheridge authored the book "Coaching Front Liners"......"

And look for the sequel in 2006, "Coaching Front Liners Into Mediocrity"

And the next sequel, coaching entire teams past mediocrity and into total and complete failure.

Just a note, Etheridge is the O-line coach and the O-line is what I see as the key to our stalled offense. Lineberry was All-conference and used to be a stud, seems like he's lost it. Etheridge's first year was the year Jamario won the rushing title. I could attribute that to his predecessor whose line block for a rushing champ as well. Etheridge's second year led for a 1000 yard rusher but only because Cobbs was one hard-nosed son of a gun. Looking back I don't think I can blame last year all on Meager anymore. I think the O-line coach wittled our line away. Just my opinion.

There are 2 big problems with the QBs right now.

1. Dickey needs to pick 1 and stick with them.  I think alot of Wilson's mistakes were him trying to hard to make something happen for fear he would get benched if he didn't.  Name a QB and let him develop rythem with the O. Stop the QB switching!

I agree with you here 100%.

It's painfully obvious that he's trying too hard to make a play.

I wonder why our QB would feel this way? dry.gifrolleyes.gif

Looking back I don't think I can blame last year all on Meager anymore. I think the O-line coach wittled our line away. Just my opinion.

I am starting to come to the same conclusion. I don't know that we came blame Meager. Look at Woody now. He looks horrible. Even in his limited play against UT (#1 defense in the nation) he looked more fluid and confident. Even his scrambling ability has declined. The more he practices the worse he gets. There is something seriously wrong with this?!?!

Looking back I don't think I can blame last year all on Meager anymore. I think the O-line coach wittled our line away.

Meager shouldn't have been blamed for anything last year. He was a FRESHMAN for god's sake, and the line play was bad last season as well. Phillips and Meager were lucky they had their faculties after the beating they took. They took a lot of undeserved criticism last year, IMO.

I was willing to give the OL benefit of the doubt last year because of so much youth and inexperience, but this is now week 6 of the season, and Saturday was unacceptable--particularly since they have started SBC play. Playing conferences with better athletes is one thing, but the MG OL has some talent. It's time for them to nut up.

I am starting to come to the same conclusion.  I don't know that we came blame Meager. Look at Woody now. He looks horrible.

It's a freaking jailbreak in the backfield every play. Good grief. dry.gif

It's a freaking jailbreak in the backfield every play.  Good grief.    dry.gif

I agree, but it seemed like Woody couldn't hit the side of oversized barn. I still think he is going to be fantastic QB, but I can't help but think that he is getting "coached" into the ground. He is probably so freaked out about not making an error or getting the reads done properly that he is losing his spontaneity and creativity. He looked totally out of sync with the receivers.

Guest JohnDenver

The phone from RF was ringing as soon as the ball hit the ground. Wilson and Meager were standing next to the phone trying to see who would go in next... It was quite sad really. The players don't even know if the coaches have their backs. They get yanked as soon as they have a bad quarter of football. If we treated the RB position like that, we would already have the coke-boy out there getting destroyed...

I felt bad for both Meager and Woody, they both did there best and took tremendous shots. Meager took one right on the chin and it was the hit of the game. If we don't spend the next year recruiting the best offensive line class that has ever come through here then the offfseason will have been a failure.