NT hires athlete development associate

OldTimer

Leon Joins Athletic Development Staff

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 06/26/2006

Courtesy: Rick Yeatts

DENTON (6/29/06) - T.J. Leon recently joined the North Texas Athletic Department as an athletic development associate after spending the the last two years at the University of the Oklahoma.

Leon will assist in all facets of fundraising including the Capital Campaign and the Mean Green Club. He will also be involved in assisting with the organization of various athletic special events.

Leon received his master's degree in education with an emphasis in intercollegiate athletic administration in 2005 from Oklahoma. While attending OU, Leon volunteered with the Sooner Club the fundraising arm of Oklahoma Athletics, which led to a graduate assistantship in 2005. He assisted in several fundraising initiatives with the Sooner Club, including OU's new soccer stadium.

The Norman, Okla., native received his bachelor's degree in parks, recreation and tourism from the University of Missouri in 2003. Leon was a three-year letterwinner with the football team where he was named to the Academic All-Big XII First Team and Commissioner's Honor Roll. He received the Most Inspirational Player award in 2002 and served for two years on the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.

Hmmm, is this a new position, or is it a consolidation of more than one position?

I think that it's great that they hired a young energetic person, who's obviously a real over achiever (academic all-Big 12 and most inspirational player).

However, this young man has operated in a football culture where people are standing in line to participate. Just a guess, but when you're doing fund raising at OU, you're basically going to people who've been donating millions a year and asking them to donate a few million more for the "next big project".

I hope North Texas isn't too much of a culture shock for this young man.

And, at the risk of sounding too provincial (business wise), don't we ever have any young energetic North Texas graduates who want to work for the Athletic Department?

However, this young man has operated in a football culture where people are standing in line to participate. Just a guess, but when you're doing fund raising at OU, you're basically going to people who've been donating millions a year and asking them to donate a few million more for the "next big project".

I hope North Texas isn't too much of a culture shock for this young man.

And, at the risk of sounding too provincial (business wise), don't we ever have any young energetic North Texas graduates who want to work for the Athletic Department?

I think that this is the perfect hire. I want someone from OU or a similar program running that position. As bad as it may sound I dont want a guy from UNT in that role. I want someone who was on the inside where they have a tradition of getting big money in the door. hopefully he studied OU history and can figure out how to start this here.

I think that this is the perfect hire. I want someone from OU or a similar program running that position. As bad as it may sound I dont want a guy from UNT in that role. I want someone who was on the inside where they have a tradition of getting big money in the door. hopefully he studied OU history and can figure out how to start this here.

Well he can study OU tradition all he wants, but that doesn't have anything to do with North Texas history. The most obvious difference is that OU is only one of three major Universities in Oklahoma. And they have always been the 800lb Gorilla......in everything.

THAT'S what I'm talking about in reference to (potential) culture shock. wink.gif

Having said that, I wish him well.

Edited by SilverEagle

I see your point but I couldn't disagree more. I want a guy (or gal) who came throught NT going to games, seeing the highs and lows, and feeling the sting of being second class in facilities and public perception. I want this person to take it personally every time they hear the word "no" because they have a vested interest in seeing THEIR university rise or fall.

I see your point but I couldn't disagree more.  I want a guy (or gal) who came throught NT going to games, seeing the highs and lows, and feeling the sting of being second class in facilities and public perception.  I want this person to take it personally every time they hear the word "no" because they have a vested interest in seeing THEIR university rise or fall.

You just described my perfect hire to a "T"....or should I say "NT".

I thought we had the wonderful Mandy to do the solicitation of Mean Green Club memberships, etc. What will she do now? Maybe stay away from the public where she belongs. Another poor hire, as we once again, slap our own alma mater in the face and go elsewhere for another employee who will spend time building resume so he can go on somewhere else. Add this to Lee Jackson and you have a hard time getting out the wallet. What ever happened to the former NT soccer player who was supposed to be doing this job? However, if you think this is bad, just wait until you see who Jackson will hire as President....I shudder.

The problem with getting an NT person to do it, is that a young energetic person would be from the Era where the students give 2 $hits about the athletic program. 5 years from now there will hopefully be plenty of people that would work, but right now they're in short supply. So we hire someone with some experience from a place with a tradition of getting what they want. It will only work one of two way. Either he'll succeed or he'll fail, which are the same 2 choices you'd have hiring a NT grad. I'd be willing to bet they'd RATHER take a NT graduate, but like I said, how many of those are out there that have the skills to do the job AND the drive to see NT improve. I can think of quite a few people that can do the job, but they're not that excited about NT athletics.

(Before you rip me - Yes, I'm aware that there are probably several candidates from NT that would be acceptable, but did they apply for the job?)

Mad,

I agree with you. It would be nice to have an NT alum, but sometimes we need some outside blood. I think it is possible for someone to be a wonderful steward of our university and not be a graduate. I don’t like the “but we have always done it that way” mentality. The guy has come from a large, successful university. It will be a harder sell at UNT, but maybe he’s got a few tricks up his sleeve.

As far as padding the resume goes, doesn’t everyone in just about every type of business do that? I work for a great place, but I’m not sure I will retire here. However, I am the organizations biggest fan and will promote it always while I am here.

I thought we had the wonderful Mandy to do the solicitation of Mean Green Club memberships, etc.  What will she do now?  Maybe stay away from the public where she belongs.  Another poor hire, as we once again, slap our own alma mater in the face and go elsewhere for another employee who will spend time building resume so he can go on somewhere else.  Add this to Lee Jackson and you have a hard time getting out the wallet.  What ever happened to the former NT soccer player who was supposed to be doing this job?  However, if you think this is bad, just wait until you see who Jackson will hire as President....I shudder.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif That's the funniest thing I've read in a looooong time.

This is the perfect example of what I (and possibly Emmitt) are talking about.

And again (having said all that, and taken a shot at the hiring practices of the current athletic department), I wish this young man well.

Edited by SilverEagle

Guest GrayEagleOne

Welcome to the world of UNT fundraising, Mr. Leon. It pains me to say it but you can't possibly succeed at North Texas because:

1. You were hired by Lee Jackson

2. You are a SMU plant

3. Our monied alumni don't even give to their church

4. All that would give won't be contacted

5. Your fellow employees are a bunch of imbeciles

6. You don't know what it's like to suffer

7. Mattress Mac is already taken

I beg to differ.  You don't have to have a degree in Sports Management/Administration to do this job.  Just a sound business mind with people skills, and some old fashion common sense.

maybe I am the odd ball here, but I think that a degree in sports administration is kind of a pre-requisit for a sports administrator.

maybe I am the odd ball here, but I think that a degree in sports administration is kind of a pre-requisit for a sports administrator.

Not trying to argue, but what did all of the BCS and top tier athletic programs throughout the country do for fundraising and facility upgrades before sports administration degrees became in vogue? Bad example here, but I doubt the Univ of Texas had a sports administration degreed person to generate financial support during their first 100 years in athletics.

Texas Tech has an attorney for a FB coach.........

IMHO let this guy from OU, who was an Academic All American in FB, who has seen what it is like to do get the job done in probably one of the best fund raising factories in America put together a similar program at UNT. This guy has 2 years experience at OU!!!

Why in the name of Allah laugh.gif would you want someone from UNT to put together a "Big Time" program who has never been around one????

Guest GrayEagleOne

chuck vincent is gone.  again, what capital campaign??????????????????????

Chuck Vinson is still listed as Director or Development and I assume that the roster is current as it's on the official website. He just doesn't have anything to do with athletics directly anymore.

There is an ongoing Campaign North Texas and athletics is a part of that. The problem is that there is no monetary goal or time limit. Some goals listed are nebulous but the clear object is to retain Division 1-A status. Each College or School plus Athletics has now been given a Development Officer. Fralicks is the Director of Athletics Development and now Leon is the Associate Director. Mandy McKinley does have Mean Green Club duties but is not associated with fundraising.