Famous Alumni? Cool Stats? Rankings?

WIFE2HOT4U

If you look at any list of famous alums from any university or college, you can be sure that if they are famous they need not have graduated to be 'knighted' as an alum of that institution. Joe Blow might just be a former student, but a celebrity is an alum.

Guest JohnDenver

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Alumni

a·lum·nus  Audio pronunciation of "Alumni" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (-lmns)

n. pl. a·lum·ni (-n)

A male graduate or former student of a school, college, or university.

Norah Jones is a FORMER student ... thus ALUMNUS. Per any dictionary.

Edited by JohnDenver

One of the Von Erichs of wresteling fame played football and basketball.

I think you're right about that. I saw a Von Erich at the Letterman's tent (Coor's Light) two years ago before a game.

I heard he is interested in making a large donation to the football program but only because Steve Austin has made a sizeable donation to the mens/womens basketball program. So large in fact that they are changing the name of the colliseum from "The Super Pit" to "The Stone Cold Colliseum"

Apparently the Von Erichs want to keep up with the "Jones".

Guest JohnDenver

True true .. but it is kind of (from what I can tell) a word that is rarely used anymore. It is deemed sexist. style_emoticons/

You won't find Alumna license plates at Voertmans.

T. Lewis...1/2 of the animation team that created "Over the Hedge." See today's FW Star-Telegram, Section D, page 3. "Lewis is a well traveled Houston native who kicked around boarding schools in Switzerland and Africa before ending up in Denton where he received a fine arts degree from the University of North Texas."

Guest GrayEagleOne

Unfortunately he seems to have forgotten us.  His sons and money go to SMU (and he likes to boast about what a great university SMU is) mad.gif

Not so about the money. He gives $5,000 every year to NT athletics.

They left off Jordan Case, who was a great QB at North Texas, had a good career in the CFL and is currently President of Park Place Lexus.

Also, I've mentioned this guy before, but if the official web-site is going to bring up former students from the 20's and 30's who made it in Hollywood, they should mention this guy.

Guinn "Big Boy" Williams

Nicknamed "Big Boy" by his friend and frequent coworker Will Rogers, beefy Western star Guinn Williams was the son of a Texas congressman. After attending North Texas State College, Williams played pro baseball and worked as a rodeo rider before heading to Hollywood in his teens to try his luck in films. While he starred in several inexpensive silent and sound Westerns, Williams is better known for his comedy relief work in such films as Private Worlds (1935), A Star Is Born (1937), Professor Beware (1938), and Santa Fe Trail (1940). "Big Boy" Williams is also a familiar name to devotees of Orson Welles; it was Williams who once accosted Welles in a parking lot and cut off the "boy wonder's" necktie. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Nobel Willingham was just about one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to know. My uncle met him when Willingham was a teacher at the school where my uncle coached football. I was lucky enough to get to meet him several times, the first was on the set of the movie "The Boys in Company C" in which Nobel had a small part. He was a great Texan and a great guy. You might be interested to know thatin 2000 he ran for the GOP against Maxie Sandlin for a congressional seat in East Texas but lost. He was a staunch paleo-conservative and just a terrific guy. He died in 2004, God rest his soul.

Didn't Jim Hightower go to UNT?

Edited by Varsity

Not so about the money.  He gives $5,000 every year to NT athletics.

Now if we could get UNT graduate Dr. Phil to write yet another book Norman Vincent Peale'esque titled "How To Win Fans (friends) and Influence Fans (people)" & quit calling them part of the Focker Family for heaven's sake)! unsure.gifsmile.gif

.................................................................................................

And GrayEagleOne, didn't you tell me years ago at Ken Murphy's business that you knew UNT grad and Hollywood actor James Hampton? Most of you would know him once you saw his mug as he is one of those faces you recognize but usually don't know his real life name.

JUST WHO IS THIS NT EX JIM HAMPTON GUY? Jim Hampton played the guy in the first "The Longest Yard" with Burt Reynolds who when he turned on the light in his cell the explosives-rigged light bulb exploded and he burned to death.

Actually, Jim Hampton and NT Ex & Rock & Roll pioneer Pat Boone were on our campus a couple of years ago and took a tour of the Murchison Performing Arts Center while the NT Symphony was in rehearsal. Of course, the Hollywood-ites were duly impressed with both. cool.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

JUST WHO IS THIS NT EX JIM HAMPTON GUY?  Jim Hampton played the guy in the first "The Longest Yard" with Burt Reynolds who when he turned on the light in his cell the explosives-rigged light bulb exploded and he burned to death.

Actually, Jim Hampton and NT Ex & Rock & Roll pioneer Pat Boone were on our campus a couple of years ago and took a tour of the Murchison Performing Arts Center while the NT Symphony was in rehearsal.  Of course, the Hollywood-ites were duly impressed with both.  cool.gif

Correct me if I am wrong Plumm, but isn't Hampton just interested in $$$ for appearances? I've heard he'll show up to anything for relatively cheap (I mean come on, who is he really?), but in the end he needs his beer money. Is this true or does he give back?

Just curious....hey, maybe that should be my new sig...

Hampton shows up every year for the Don January and gets a couple of his peers to play as well and I know that they do not get paid for their appearance.

ohmy.gif

cool - thanks for answering

Now if we could get UNT graduate Dr. Phil  to write yet another book Norman Vincent Peale'esque titled "How To Win Fans (friends) and Influence Fans (people)" & quit calling them part of the Focker Family for heaven's sake)!  unsure.gif  smile.gif

That might be a more convincing argument if Peale had actually written that book. "How to win friends and influence people" was written by Dale Carnegie.

That might be a more convincing argument if Peale had actually written that book.     "How to win friends and influence people" was written by Dale Carnegie.

Well, Peale would have done a better job with the theme! }:>) lol!

Uh.................senior moment?smile.gif

Nevertheless, thanks for the correction, BA, but my theme still remains the same no matter who authored that book.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen