Smu game Is it the biggest game ever?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope team, coaches, students, and players feel the same and will not just look at this as just another ho-hum OOC game. For what's at stake from a PR standpoint at this time I can't remember a bigger home game at Fouts and I've been around the program since '58. I feel we should all let RV know we will double our MGC donations if we see a win over SMU. $$$$ talk, and that may get DD's attention. Just think what these elitest snobs have done to NT just lately:

1)Blocked ANY chance for C-USA and publicly supported LA Tech.

2)Blocked PC & JT from consideration for Doak Walker award

3)Attempting to thwart efforts fot UNT law school in DT Dallas

4)Refuse to acknowledge any athletic or academic aceivement of UNT with total control of BELO Press --DMN & DRC.

5)Perpetuate false "commuter school" stereotypes even though current stats show more UNT students on campus than SMU & TCU combined.

If these aren't enough refer to Arthur Perkin's 1990 comments that SMU alums believe that NT produces some of the best domestic help in HP. If you can't get up for these A-holes for this game, we need to give up on FB @ UNT. I only wish I could get a chance to put a lick on one of them even at age 59. It remains to be seen if those that count accept this game as the challenge it is. BEAT THE HELL OUT OF SMU!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I sure hope team, coaches, students, and players feel the same and will not just look at this as just another ho-hum OOC game. For what's at stake from a PR standpoint at this time I can't remember a bigger home game at Fouts and I've been around the program since '58. I feel we should all let RV know we will double our MGC donations if we see a win over SMU. $$$$ talk, and that may get DD's attention. Just think what these elitest snobs have done to NT just lately:

4)Refuse to acknowledge any athletic or academic aceivement of UNT with total control of BELO Press --DMN & DRC.

5)Perpetuate false "commuter school" stereotypes even though current stats show more UNT students on campus than SMU & TCU combined.

If these aren't enough refer to Arthur Perkin's 1990 comments that SMU alums believe that NT produces some of the best domestic help in HP. If you can't get up for these A-holes for this game, we need to give up on FB @ UNT. I only wish I could get a chance to put a lick on one of them even at age 59. It remains to be seen if those that count accept this game as the challenge it is. BEAT THE HELL OUT OF SMU!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif

Nice post Green! I say give 'em a double dose of what we gave Baylor last time they were in town. I lived in University Park for a few years, so I'm very familiar with the BS attitudes of a school which is basically full of non-Texans and HP grads. who are trying to hide out from the real world in the "bubble" of the Park Cities. If we can't get up for the Punies then we can't get up for anyone. Regardless of what happens in Austin, let's kick some butt in front of a packed MeanGreen dominated house this fall. It's time to knock them off their hilltop and teach the uppity fools some manners!

If these aren't enough refer to Arthur Perkin's 1990 comments that SMU alums believe that NT produces some of the best domestic help in HP. If you can't get up for these A-holes for this game, we need to give up on FB @ UNT. I only wish I could get a chance to put a lick on one of them even at age 59. It remains to be seen if those that count accept this game as the challenge it is. BEAT THE HELL OUT OF SMU!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif

Excellent post, dallasgreen, all of those statements are solid facts all NTer's should be aware of, Biggest Game at UNT, Ever, YES!

Mean Green go wild against the Mustangs, yea!!!

They also the main reason we were not admittted to the SWC 25 years ago. They voted against our admissiion along with with TCU and Baylor who was believed to have been convinced to to do so by SMU.

Had we been admitted then our athletic program and image would be much different today. For years they refuse to even acknowledge we even exist and have claimed they had the only one of various academic programs in the area when we have had well established ones of the same program for years. They constantly insult us in their media interviews.

Below means my two favorite teams will play in the NT/SMU game. North Texas and whoever plays SMU...... and both are the same team....... NORTH TEXAS.!

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

The Baylor game was huge, but it was so big because there were nearly 30,000 people and we stomped the crap out of a big XII team. Replace 'big XII' with 'metroplex rival' and its the same caliber.

People were saying how bad last years performance could/did hurt our recruiting, especially after the blow out loss to tulsa. But if we can go out and hit these guys in the mouth and come out with a big win I see all of that erased.

Lets face it, lots of people and many recruits don't care if we can beat a school in lousiana that no ones ever heard of.

smu is just a glorified high school program.

Some people think the same thing about us.

We have got to beat these guys, in front of a full and passionate Fouts, and build on the momentum from this game to carry us through the season. That will make 2-9 go away and get us back to winning Sun Belt crowns.

Nobody expects us to do a thing against Texas. I just hope for a respectable game myself. I was there last time and it was not that at all. But we need to heal the bumps and bruises quickly and beat the hell outta SMU! I just hope the players and current students realize how big this game can be for us as much as us alums do.

no to the original question.   smu is just a glorified high school program.

a highschool program that has more heisman trophies and top ten finishes/victories than us...

SMU will be a competitor for CUSA west this year. mark it. a victory over them would be a good thing for our program. Its not going to be a given like it has been in the past.

Edited by Eagle1855

They also the main reason we were not admittted to the SWC 25 years ago.  They voted against our admissiion along with with TCU and Baylor who was believed to have been convinced to to do so by SMU.

Didn't basically everyone else (or at least, the non-snob schools) give us the thumbs up for that conference back then?

Edited by meangreendork

1. Part I -- Speculation, Part II -- True. Tulane did SMU a favor and vouched for SMU to be included with the two other private schools from the WAC, Rice & Tulsa. SMU sealed itself as a package deal with those 2 schools. SMU and Tulane's Presidents are good friends, SMU publically stated that they wanted LA Tech due to conference ties and because Tulane also wanted to see the inclusion of LA Tech. SMU was a brand new member, they had no votes in further expansion plans. Do you think SMU said "We are coming or UNT is coming? You're choice!" UNT came off of a 9-win season the year prior, SMU came off a 0-win season the year prior. I hardly think we had any clout.

2. Complete speculation. SMU has a member on the Doak Walker selection committee. The candidates for the award are also chosen by many other members. You give SMU way too much clout and ownership of the award by saying we struck either of those 2 candidates from consideration. Both are respectable backs, and if they had played even in the WAC conference, I am sure they would've received heavier consideration.

3. Rumor. Where on earth have you heard this? SMU Law would have no qualms with a UNT-Dallas law school. SMU acknowledges that it meets the needs of a group of future-lawyers in Dallas. Those that want to pursue "big firm" and other corporate law jobs. SMU is a poor choice for those seeking government jobs and other prestigious, though not initially as high paying, legal jobs in the Dallas market (public defenders, asst. district attorneys, etc). A SMU law degree comes with a hefty price-tag so most grads go to work for big firms to pay off loans quicker. A public law school in the metroplex is very much needed. SMU has no power in the state-legislature like UT or A&M to pull $ away, so unless you have printed evidence of SMU trying to prevent this happening.. it's just a conspiracy theory.

4. The DMN covers SMU more than UNT because SMU is located inside the city of Dallas. The DMN covers SMU more than they cover TCU as well. And if I'm not mistaken, TCU has had much more recent success than SMU or UNT. I don't read the DRC but I highly doubt they cover SMU more than UNT. Are you upset with TCU because the Startle-Gram covers them more than y'all? They're going to cover their home-team markets first.

5. I think you mistake the opinions of a few posters on PonyFans as SMU administration proclamation. Schools don't talk about each other. The only schools I've ever heard SMU administration refer to are Duke and Vanderbilt, which they are using as benchmark schools to improve SMU as a whole university. I've never seen or heard one SMU official publically ridicule UNT or put down the school. SMU and UNT have very different ambitions as far as their schools go, no doubt about it. As a private school, SMU is much more concerned with its rank and "prestige." UNT, as a state university, serves to educate as many people with quality programs at an affordable price. Nothing is wrong with either, they just serve different needs of different people.

Of course UNT has more people living on campus than TCU and SMU. SMU and TCU combined have about 14,000 undergrad students. (6,200 SMU -- 7,500 TCU). If you met SMU people outside of PonyFans, I really think you'd be shocked at how basically no animosity exists at SMU towards UNT. I certainly have no poor opinions, and I've always heard that UNT leads the metroplex in graphic arts programs and music and performance arts.

* I think SMU has really changed as a school since the last time UNT and SMU played on the gridiron. While SMU still keeps a large number of "Parkies" close to home (though they still decide to live on-campus which I don't understand), SMU has really recruited the South East hard the past couple of years. The states of Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, the Carolinas, and Florida combined make up nearly 40% of the student body -- with 51% coming from Texas. It's not just HP-13th grade anymore.

Go Mustangs and SMU. Where Tailgates and Football games look like the Kentucky Derby. <adjusts tie and re-ties Sperry's>

I wasn't around during NT's glory days so it would be hard for me to say how big this game is. One thing I do know, both programs are nearly at the same point as we speak, IMO. This game will prove how far NT has come along and whether the program can maintain it's momentum. A loss to SMU will be a huge setback for the Green in so many ways.

1. Part I -- Speculation, Part II -- True. Tulane did SMU a favor and vouched for SMU to be included with the two other private schools from the WAC, Rice & Tulsa. SMU sealed itself as a package deal with those 2 schools. SMU and Tulane's Presidents are good friends, SMU publically stated that they wanted LA Tech due to conference ties and because Tulane also wanted to see the inclusion of LA Tech. SMU was a brand new member, they had no votes in further expansion plans. Do you think SMU said "We are coming or UNT is coming? You're choice!" UNT came off of a 9-win season the year prior, SMU came off a 0-win season the year prior. I hardly think we had any clout.

2. Complete speculation. SMU has a member on the Doak Walker selection committee. The candidates for the award are also chosen by many other members. You give SMU way too much clout and ownership of the award by saying we struck either of those 2 candidates from consideration. Both are respectable backs, and if they had played even in the WAC conference, I am sure they would've received heavier consideration.

3. Rumor. Where on earth have you heard this? SMU Law would have no qualms with a UNT-Dallas law school. SMU acknowledges that it meets the needs of a group of  future-lawyers in Dallas. Those that want to pursue "big firm" and other corporate law jobs. SMU is a poor choice for those seeking government jobs and other prestigious, though not initially as high paying, legal jobs in the Dallas market (public defenders, asst. district attorneys, etc). A SMU law degree comes with a hefty price-tag so most grads go to work for big firms to pay off loans quicker. A public law school in the metroplex is very much needed.  SMU has no power in the state-legislature like UT or A&M to pull $ away, so unless you have printed evidence of SMU trying to prevent this happening.. it's just a conspiracy theory.

4. The DMN covers SMU more than UNT because SMU is located inside the city of Dallas. The DMN covers SMU more than they cover TCU as well. And if I'm not mistaken, TCU has had much more recent success than SMU or UNT. I don't read the DRC but I highly doubt they cover SMU more than UNT. Are you upset with TCU because the Startle-Gram covers them more than y'all? They're going to cover their home-team markets first.

5. I think you mistake the opinions of a few posters on PonyFans as SMU administration proclamation. Schools don't talk about each other. The only schools I've ever heard SMU administration refer to are Duke and Vanderbilt, which they are using as benchmark schools to improve SMU as a whole university. I've never seen or heard one SMU official publically ridicule UNT or put down the school. SMU and UNT have very different ambitions as far as their schools go, no doubt about it. As a private school, SMU is much more concerned with its rank and "prestige." UNT, as a state university, serves to educate as many people with quality programs at an affordable price. Nothing is wrong with either, they just serve different needs of different people.

Of course UNT has more people living on campus than TCU and SMU. SMU and TCU combined have about 14,000 undergrad students. (6,200 SMU -- 7,500 TCU).  If you met SMU people outside of PonyFans, I really think you'd be shocked at how basically no animosity exists at SMU towards UNT. I certainly have no poor opinions, and I've always heard that UNT leads the metroplex in graphic arts programs and music and performance arts.

* I think SMU has really changed as a school since the last time UNT and SMU played on the gridiron. While SMU still keeps a large number of "Parkies" close to home (though they still decide to live on-campus which I don't understand), SMU has really recruited the South East hard the past couple of years. The states of Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, the Carolinas, and Florida combined make up nearly 40% of the student body -- with 51% coming from Texas. It's not just HP-13th grade anymore.

Go Mustangs and SMU. Where Tailgates and Football games look like the Kentucky Derby. <adjusts tie and re-ties Sperry's>

Want to comment on the SMU lobbying to keep us out of the the SWC as member #10 after Houston was admitted as #9? The PAC-8 had just gone to 10 members by adding the two Arizona schools and the Big-10 had 10 members. At the time we were doing well in football and basketball with Fry and Blakely and were larger than most SWC members.

I have read many interviews through the years in the DMN in which SMU claims they have the only "whatever" program in the area when in fact we often have an older, larger and well recognized dept. Some have even been start-up programs by SMU. Basicly they ignor us and it is insulting!!

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Back to the original question - anyone remember that - “Is this the biggest game ever?”

No, it’s not. The first New Orleans Bowl certainly was bigger as it broke the longest time between bowls appearances in NCAA history. (That is, to that point. I think both New Mexico State and Rice have past it now.)

The game back in 78 or 79 when the Independence Bowl folks were looking at us also was bigger. If more than 15K fans had shown up, we could have gone to the I Bowl and gotten a lot of positive notice. Showing we could get to a bowl game as an independent would have been more reason to include NT in the SWC, even over the objections of SMU. Remember, SMU fought against Tech and Houston getting and and eventually they did anyway. Instead, the I bowl folks saw a sparse crowd, pasted on us for the bowl, Hayden was frustrated and got a timely offer from Iowa, and the bottom dropped out.

Win or lose, the SMU game next year is not likely to have decades of effect or make history like both of those games.

I don’t hate SMU, but I would be happy is we score more on them than Houston did back in the Run and Shoot days!

a highschool program that has more heisman trophies and top ten finishes/victories than us...

SMU will be a competitor for CUSA west this year. mark it. a victory over them would be a good thing for our program. Its not going to be a given like it has been in the past.

They do have more heisman trophies and top ten finishes. They've also been busted for paying their players more times. I wonder, could there be a corrolation?

Want  to comment on the SMU lobbying to keep us out of the the SWC as member #10 after Houston was admitted as #9?  The PAC-8 had just gone  to 10 members  by adding the two Arizona schools and the Big-10 had 10 members. At the time we were doing well in football and basketball with Fry and Blakely and were larger than most SWC members.

I have read many interviews through the years in the DMN in which SMU claims they have the only "whatever" program in the area when in fact we often have an older, larger and well recognized dept.  Some have even been start-up programs by SMU.  Basicly they ignor us and it is insulting!!

I understand the animosity towards the SWC deal. But... I think that whole 1987 sanction on SMU might have been punishment enough. This whole incident occured awhile back.. both programs stifled themselves, and UNT made the larger strides until last year.

But in re: to the SWC, I think it might help to look at the situation differently. People on here often chide that SMU forced Baylor, TCU, and Rice to omit UNT from future SWC expansion plans. However, put yourselves in the administrative role of a SWC private school institution at that time... the budgets for schools like UT, A&M, Arkansas and Tech made it nearly impossible to compete on a level-playing field. TCU, SMU, Baylor, and Rice were having to do all they could to keep up with the Jones' in the SWC... add another state-funded school? No way.. I don't think it was just SMU. I think it's just as fair and reasonable to assume that all of the private SWC universities saw how quickly UH rose to the top, and did not want more competition than they already had. They were making decisions to keep their athletic programs merely afloat. It was more about survival, especially SMU and TCU and Baylor seeing UNT in their backyards.

Did SMU commit wrongdoings? Yeah. Did SMU pay for its wrongdoings? I would say so... I just think that the "conspiracy" theories between UNT and SMU are more "fun" for internet chat than they really are close to being facts.

SMU claims they are the leader in "Dallas" in many aspects. Schools often do this... I would imagine UNT says in the DFW Greater Metroplex. Most schools do this with advertising. It's more of a "pumping up your own chest" than it is ignoring other schools.

But back to the topic -- while I think this game is a big deal b/c whoever wins this game most likely won't start 0-2... I don't think it will have an immediate impact on either team's season or program long-term. Beating a SMU team that came off of a 5-6 season is better than what (aside the '05 campaign) UNT teams are capable of... and beating a 2-9 UNT team for SMU isn't as important as the TCU win last year.

But it certainly looks to be the most intriguing match-up between either team OOC for the '06 campaign.

I understand the animosity towards the SWC deal. But... I think that whole 1987 sanction on SMU might have been punishment enough. This whole incident occured awhile back.. both programs stifled themselves, and UNT made the larger strides until last year.

But in re: to the SWC, I think it might help to look at the situation differently. People on here often chide that SMU forced Baylor, TCU, and Rice to omit UNT from future SWC expansion plans.  However, put yourselves in the administrative role of a SWC private school institution at that time... the budgets for schools like UT, A&M, Arkansas and Tech made it nearly impossible to compete on a level-playing field. TCU, SMU, Baylor, and Rice were having to do all they could to keep up with the Jones' in the SWC... add another state-funded school? No way.. I don't think it was just SMU. I think it's just as fair and reasonable to assume that all of the private SWC universities saw how quickly UH rose to the top, and did not want more competition than they already had. They were making decisions to keep their athletic programs merely afloat. It was more about survival, especially SMU and TCU and Baylor seeing UNT in their backyards.

Did SMU commit wrongdoings? Yeah. Did SMU pay for its wrongdoings? I would say so... I just think that the "conspiracy" theories between UNT and SMU are more "fun" for internet chat than they really are close to being facts.

SMU claims they are the leader in "Dallas" in many aspects. Schools often do this... I would imagine UNT says in the DFW Greater Metroplex. Most schools do this with advertising. It's more of a "pumping up your own chest" than it is ignoring other schools.

But back to the topic -- while I think this game is a big deal b/c whoever wins this game most likely won't start 0-2... I don't think it will have an immediate impact on either team's season or program long-term. Beating a SMU team that came off of a 5-6 season is better than what (aside the '05 campaign) UNT teams are capable of... and beating a 2-9 UNT team for SMU isn't as important as the TCU win last year.

But it certainly looks to be the most intriguing match-up between either team OOC for the '06 campaign.

Just like I've been saying, folks...........

CONSPIRACY!

rolleyes.gif

PS: Actually, I've worked with many SMU alums in the sector of education I've been in for 25 years and SouthernMustang is most right on with his assessement; but its really more fun to think other-wise, now isn't it? smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

3. Rumor. Where on earth have you heard this? SMU Law would have no qualms with a UNT-Dallas law school. SMU acknowledges that it meets the needs of a group of  future-lawyers in Dallas. Those that want to pursue "big firm" and other corporate law jobs. SMU is a poor choice for those seeking government jobs and other prestigious, though not initially as high paying, legal jobs in the Dallas market (public defenders, asst. district attorneys, etc). A SMU law degree comes with a hefty price-tag so most grads go to work for big firms to pay off loans quicker. A public law school in the metroplex is very much needed.  SMU has no power in the state-legislature like UT or A&M to pull $ away, so unless you have printed evidence of SMU trying to prevent this happening.. it's just a conspiracy theory.

Of course UNT has more people living on campus than TCU and SMU. SMU and TCU combined have about 14,000 undergrad students. (6,200 SMU -- 7,500 TCU).  If you met SMU people outside of PonyFans, I really think you'd be shocked at how basically no animosity exists at SMU towards UNT. I certainly have no poor opinions, and I've always heard that UNT leads the metroplex in graphic arts programs and music and performance arts.

I pretty much agree with your assessment.

As to #2, Patrick Cobbs was nominated in 2005. There are 153 people on the selection committee. Other than Tony Dorsett, I don't know who they are but I don't beleive that many are from SMU.

As for snobs, SMU certainly has more than their share but that is true for most private schools. That's mainly due to money and I don't know any way to overcome that. Very few wealthy people are 'regular guys'.

As to SMU being against our admittance to the old SWC, that's true. They had co-conspiritors in TCU and Rice but I heard both ways on Baylor. Supposedly, Baylor would have relented because Hayden Fry was a Baylor grad. I also heard that Arkansas was against us. It was just the fact that we were located in Texas and they were the only outsider. An assistant AD at the time told me that only Texas, Texas Tech and A&M could be counted on so Houston could have been against us also.

I beleive that Dallas Green is right about the effect on giving. Beating SMU would be a boon to Mean Green Club membership and giving for the new stadium; a loss would be devastating. For that reason alone, this may be the most important game in our existence. So let me add my BEAT THE HELL OUT OF SMU!

They do have more heisman trophies and top ten finishes.  They've also been busted for paying their players more times.  I wonder, could there be a corrolation?

perhaps, or maybe they just sucked at cheating... its naive to think it isnt going on in other top ten schools. Gotta wonder why Ramonce Taylor's 2004 Tahoe was registered to himself and the father of the QB he played ball with in highschool. Maybe they were just really close. Close enough someone would help pay for a $40k SUV. Wish I had friends like that.

given our success in OOC play, and 2-9 campaign it almost makes us look stupid saying anyone is a glorified highschool program

Edited by Eagle1855