TX Senate approves college bond bill NT to get

OldTimer

As with everybody else, unfortunately, the legislature didn't appropriate any money to help pay for these. In the past, the legislature appropriated funds to pay back the bonds.

Now, to get all these projects done, universities would actually have to pay back with tuition. We'll see how all this shakes out. For instance, it may be impossible to get all those projects for UNT by paying them back with tuition proceeds...at least not without huge tuition increases and/or robbing other needs (which are usually already stretched thin).

It may be 2007 before this issue is taken-up again in the next legislative session.

Right now, they have technically given universities the authority to get these buildings with the tuition revenue bonds, but, whether the schools can in reality is another question.

As with everybody else, unfortunately, the legislature didn't appropriate any money to help pay for these.  In the past, the legislature appropriated funds to  pay back the bonds. 

Now, to get all these projects done, universities would actually have to pay back with tuition.  We'll see how all this shakes out.  For instance, it may be impossible to get all those projects for UNT by paying them back with tuition proceeds...at least not without huge tuition increases and/or robbing other needs (which are usually already stretched thin).

It may be 2007 before this issue is taken-up again in the next legislative session.

Right now, they have technically given universities the authority to get these buildings with the tuition revenue bonds, but, whether the schools can in reality is another question.

Thanks for that info, Go_UTA...

Out of the 4 projects for UNT, I am going to wager a guess that 2 of those will get off the drawing boards to construction sites ASAP (and with the necessary funding no matter how that part is done) and those 2 will be:

(1) the College of Business bldg at our main campus in Denton and

(2) the General Academic Bldg at UNT-Dallas

...............................................................................................

A side note: The FW Museum of Natural History, Omni Theatre, etc, etc,etc, are going to spend $65 million on their much needed new facilites. Yes, I said.............SIXTY FIVE MILLION DOLLARS!

There sure seems to be bukuus'(sp?) and bukuus' of money here in one of the "Fortune 500" meccas of American business many call the Metroplex, now doesn't there?sad.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

My pleasure, Plumm. That's my understanding of the situation. $50 million should get you a heck of a show place of a business building. I bet they put some nice amenities in it...big career center, break-out rooms for students to meet, student lounge, and some "professional" finishes, e.g., wood paneling in certain areas. These are the things going in new business buildings, it seems.

Science buildings and engineering buildings typically cost more per square foot. For instance, in chemistry labs, you have to install hoods and emergency equipment. With a business building, you don't have all the expensive equipment needs.

Yeah, likewise, I'm betting UT Arlington does everything humanly possible to move forward with the just-approved Engineering Research building. They have been clamoring for that for sometime. Engineering is considered to be one of that campus' hallmark strengths, and they are chomping at the bit big-time to add more research space at the engineering complex clustered at the north end of campus.

Guest e-bone

Have locations for the new buildings been identified? There isn't much real estate left on campus, and I would figure they would want to keep the business building close to the center and not way the heck away from everything.

Have locations for the new buildings been identified? There isn't much real estate left on campus, and I would figure they would want to keep the business building close to the center and not way the heck away from everything.

My understanding is that NT would put the new Biz Building between the current Biz Building and the ISB.

In the recent master plan that came out last year, the location of the new business building will be at the site of the old wellness building. So I would assume as soon as they can get the old wellness center cleared out of that area, they will start construction on the new business building.

In the recent master plan that came out last year, the location of the new business building will be at the site of the old wellness building. So I would assume as soon as they can get the old wellness center cleared out of that area, they will start construction on the new business building.

So what then becomes of the old business building?

So what then becomes of the old business building?

Currently what the College of Business Administration is having to do is base classes out of several buildings since there isn't enough class space in the current COBA building. Curry Hall would be an example of one of these buildings. The new COBA building will allow the College of Business Administration to have all their classes in their own buildings, and to have more room for faculity offices and whatnot.

Edited by NTEagle08

Is there any chance they could build the new COBA building in the area where a certain football stadium is currently located? unsure.gif  Lot of expansion possibilities for acadamia out there I hear. rolleyes.gif

This could act as a real life “lab” as to how NOT to run a business huh.gif

or

“Marketing – Who needs Marketing 101” rolleyes.gif

Guest GrayEagleOne

with the popularity of a business degree I would hope they keep the building as a secondary Business building.

According to the new Master Plan, the old (COBA) building will be refurbished and used by the College of Education and whatever was in Kendall Hall.

I can't recall with any certainty but it seems like the area occupied by the "Wellness Center" is smaller than the current area of the Business Administration Building.

There is no mention of Curry being updated or a change in usage.