Not a Negative post, but I'm concerned...

Season Ticket numbers are not a "state secret" nor is the number of mean green club members.  All you have to do is ask RV or Mandy and they will tell you.  Nothing they do is a secret.

Don't you have another untrue women's basketball rumor to go start somewhere?

wink.gif

Don't you have another untrue women's basketball rumor to go start somewhere?

wink.gif

Quoner, I realize the above post from you was directed to flyonthewall, but what has been posted on GMG.com not in print in an NT women's basketball media guide would you consider untrue? Just curious, that's all.

Most of us on GMG.com are fairly open minded to the truth (& nothing but the truth so help us Scrappy) and to the way things really are in MG Country. And yes, we still have the few & the bold who want to bury their heads in the sands of non-realisim and low expections for MG varsity athletic programs, too. One day when things are much better for MG athletics (W/L-wise), they will be the very ones, too, who wonder why all that couldn't have happened sooner truth be known.

All the info in each UNT varsity program sports media guides sorta' spells it all out in black and white for those who wonder how any NT varsity sport has been doing of late. Not really sure what other barometers we have at NT to measure success other than by those W/L records over an extended period ot time unless that woujd be attendance averages.

What does NT women's varsity baskeball games average per home game during the years that have been called successful in Denton? Many schools use how far into the NCAA tourney (beyond a first round opening game) does their program go if they are fortunate to win their league championship to get to that 1'st round game.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Quoner, I realize the above post from you was directed to flyonthewall, but what has been posted on GMG.com not in print in an NT women's basketball media guide would you consider untrue?  Just curious, that's all. 

Most of us on GMG.com are fairly open minded to the truth (& nothing but the truth so help us Scrappy) and to the way things really are in MG Country.  And yes, we still have the few & the bold who want to bury their heads in the sands of non-realisim and low expections for MG varsity athletic programs, too.  One day when things are much better for MG athletics (W/L-wise), they will be the very ones, too, who wonder why all that couldn't have happened sooner truth be known. 

All the info in each UNT varsity program sports media guides sorta' spells it all out in black and white for those who wonder how any NT varsity sport has been doing of late.  Not really sure what other barometers we have at NT to measure success other than by those W/L records over an extended period ot time unless that woujd be attendance averages. 

What does NT women's varsity baskeball games average per home game during the years that have been called successful in Denton?  Many schools use how far into the NCAA tourney (beyond a first round opening game) does their program go if they are fortunate to win their league championship to get to that 1'st round game.

I'm referring to the Ajekwu fiasco - thread has been rightly deleted. He "broke" the news.

Not questioning your facts, Plumm.

I have not ordered yet but definitely will.  I am a fan regardless of their record although I do prefer to be able to brag about thed Mean Green to my friends.

Same goes for us over here. Besides, with as much Mean Green decor as we have in our house and the fact I have a mean green car (see avi) I could and would never consider not buying tickets. just waiting 4 the package to arrive.

and for those who say my car last season and noticed the flag missing, well.. the flag is back!! long story about that regarding defects and the company but at least i have it back. smile.gif

"Most of us on GMG.com are fairly open minded to the truth (& nothing but the truth so help us Scrappy) and to the way things really are in MG Country. And yes, we still have the few & the bold who want to bury their heads in the sands of non-realisim and low expections for MG varsity athletic programs, too. One day when things are much better for MG athletics (W/L-wise), they will be the very ones, too, who wonder why all that couldn't have happened sooner truth be known. "

What an arrogant, we the elite, know-it-all, everyone else is ignorant, crock of S%$# post. It is these kind of paragraphs that totally de-legitimize every PMG post.

Are you telling me that just because I don't think Dickey should be fired after one losing season, I am not a realist, and have low expectations?

It seems to me that you are the one that is not the realist! You don't think having one of the sorriest football stadiums in college football is a recruiting (coaches and players) handicapp. You have your head in the sand when it comes to understanding the financial resources our athletic department is hamstrung by compared to other universities even the other two in our backyard (TCU/SMU ~20million budget). No one is to blame for our lack of resources except our generally apathetic alumni. You are not a realist when it comes to assessing the impact of injuries / deaths of qb's sad.gif / losing players to grades mad.gif , on a season, especially if those players were going to be in key positions.

You want to take all these factors and lay them at the feet of DD/RV, and play the woe is NT instrument, and whine and moan. What really pisses me off is that you seem to be such a fair weather fan because before this past season you would write long novels about how optimistic you were and what great things lie ahead. Maybe you need to go back and read some of your old novels because I think some of those posts are closer to reality than the ones we are seeing today. All it took was one season for you get in the corner of the doom and gloomers.

PMG, I don't know about you, but I'm not going back to Egypt! smile.gif I'm going to the promised land wherever that is, and I'm not letting one bad season stop me.

Go Mean Green!

Buy season tickets!

Donate to the mean green club!

Ignor PMG posts, until he realizes that we ain't going back to Egypt!

THURSDAY REVISIONS

Points, uh, well taken, Black Scholes... blink.gif (Jeez, did I whiz in someone's bowl of soup today or what)?!?!? rolleyes.gif

Heading toward the 33 year mark of following MG football and the promise of things that could and should have come post-Fry era, I think most of the group from our era (and prior to the 70's) are not just real enthused with what we are seeing. I cannot remember a college football program that has progressed/regressed & progressed/regressed as many times as ours seems to have the last 4 decades. Almost enough to make one giddy (or worse). Sorta' gives us all a big hint as to why we have not retained our MG fan base from one decade to the next, though.

As I head toward the 33 year mark of following (pretty closely) MG football we are still closer to an SBC/Bottom 10 co-existance than the preferred Top 25 vicinity. This is not progress and in most companies across the USA, changes would be made no questions asked because after all, NCAA D1-A football is a businesss now isn't it? Most of the trends we see in every aspect of what makes a good D1-A college football program that is reaching its masses (and that means more than 15K per game averages during our bowl years) indicate that we will not be hovering around the Top 25 anytime soon, either.

THIS IS JUST NOT ABOUT THE MAN HIMSELF BUT RATHER WHAT A VERY CLOSE & SCRUTINIZING LOOK AT THE MOST RECENT UNT FB MEDIA GUIDE WOULD TELL US HOW WE'VE DONE VERSUS ALL LEVELS OF COMPETITION, THAT'S ALL:

Darrell Dickey's best has not shown anyone in or outside of Denton that it will get Mean Green football anywhere remotely close to where I think most on this board prefer. Similar schools in the MAC seem to be making it happen; but after 4 bowl trips and during/after all of that, our not even being close to smelling a Top 25 ranking should be a matter of concern for any NT alum who invest or has invested in this program. Again, the MAC's top football schools annually seem to make it to a Top 25 ranking and if that is not our goal at UNT, then just what is it? Merely fielding a football team that we can call 1-A and being the best of the worst; you know, as in our being in a league that some on this board said didn't have one NFL draft choice? wink.gif

And in conclusion, Moses himself didn't even get to the Promised Land but he sure was allowed to get a glimpse of it. In Mean Green Country, we are not even at the "glimpse stage of seeing the Promised Land" under current leadership or conditions and right now even a glimpse would be a welcome sight for most of us who still really believe there are some more Tennessee-type wins in our Mean Green future.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

PMG.....

I would not relate DD to Moses. Moses, after being one of Egypt's greatest field commanders, did lead his people to the "river." We all know the story. Joshuah led the people into the "Promised Land."

DD as on OC: 13-31-1 (UTEP and SMU)

DD as HC: 39-55 (UNT)

Everyone's question comes from the Rhyme of the Anchient Maranier: "Water Water everywhere but not a drop to drink." or in our lingo, "players players everywhere but not a (top 100) one to recruit."

Am I tired of UNT being ranked #109 out of 117 in D-1A......yes

Am I tiered of UNT being ranked #161 in Saragin................yes

From where we are the only way is UP!!

By the end of September we should know the state of UNT football with all but one OOC opponents out of the way.

IMHO, it will be interesting to see the new D and a more wide open O.

PMG, I just hope the rapture does not come before we get into the top 25 (again).

We all know about our stadium. However, Much has been done to upgrade the stadium. Big Screen for replays, state of the art turf, etc. It looks bigger than the amount of people that it holds, and if we the fans and alumni were filling it up, then it would look really good. I for one am tired of hearing about the stadium being a recruiting crutch. Good salesmen sell to their strengths. New athletic center, new locker rooms, new academic center, new practice fields. I want a new stadium too. I will be one of the first ones to pony up when the new capital campaign starts to build it, just like I was for the academic center. But for right now, quit bitching about the stadium and work with it. It is much improved than before RV got here.

We all know about our stadium.  However, Much has been done to upgrade the stadium.  Big Screen for replays, state of the art turf, etc.  It looks bigger than the amount of people that it holds, and if we the fans and alumni were filling it up, then it would look really good.  I for one am tired of hearing about the stadium being a recruiting crutch.  Good salesmen sell to their strengths.  New athletic center, new locker rooms, new academic center, new practice fields.  I want a new stadium too.  I will be one of the first ones to pony up when the new capital campaign starts to build it, just like I was for the academic center.  But for right now, quit bitching about the stadium and work with it.  It is much improved than before RV got here.

Good post, flyonthewall...

I think we all (basically) want the same things for UNT, its just we sure as hell have so many different methods on how we think we can attain all that we want to happen in MG Country during our lifetimes. Of course, from a discussion standpoint, that is what makes Harry Miers UNT oriented sports board, ie, GoMeanGreen.com so darn interesting to read most the time, eh? rolleyes.gif

Also, I guess we all have to remind ourselves from time to time that we are (in deed) on the same side with all this and how we all want dear ol' alma mater to be seen in a good light in every aspect.

Yet we all know (no matter what era we attended NT) how marvelous & wonderful that (eventual) new football stadium is going to look as it sparkles on that rolling Texas prairie of prime interstate real estate located at the apex of the Dallas/Fort Worth triangle with Denton, Texas, America at the tip of the triangle that culminates at Texas Interstates 35-E and 35-W. Could there possibly ever be a better location for such a new college football stadium than a location off those 2 interstates that has almost 65,000 cars that pass by that area daily at last TxDOT count?

Many of us know some older nestors on this board who have followed all this almost a half century (or more) that we can all only hope get to see such a stadium @ Eagle Point Campus. IMO, they deserve to have that ultimate satisfaction as much as anyone in the entire UNT community.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest Aquila_Viridis

So I will take PMG to be saying that I am essentially giving up because there is no way my requirements will be met. Look at my requirements. If those are not met, why are we bothering doing this? If those are not met, I do not think it is true to say that, on balance, progress is being made, and you have to understand I am going back to the 80s here. You have to judge against what other schools are doing. Too many other schools are making MORE progress. This is a moving target. Either we are moving with it, or just making fools of ourselves. I am saying to the school, be successful in this, and I will way increase my support, not just for athletics but for the school in general. Now some will say, there can't be success unless we all greatly increase support, and I am increasing it, but I also want to leave room for a reward. I am at this time looking for a sign of commitment, because that commitment from the school is ALSO necessary. Without it, the support won't come, and even if it did, the success still won't happen. So they need to get it together right away, or the school as a whole will miss out, because it will soon get to a point where I don't care anymore. So my whole idea for this year is, give them a shot in the arm and let them know that if they do something with that, then there will be a lot more. That is a message I would like many to send. That si the only way it will make a difference. And to those who say, it is too late for that to do any good for this season, then my response is, it is not, because at least the increased immediate commitment demonstrates sincerity, and secondly I think one thing that will make a difference is if everyone through the ranks is feeling some heat for this season. Maybe it will bring up the intensity level, which has been sorely lacking even in our 'good' years. I was there in Austin two years ago, and that was a 'good' year. Remember? SIXTY-FIVE to ZERO. One more of those and I'm done.

And for anyone who made it this far, I will say that what I want the school as a whole to understand is that success in men's football (and then basketball) will be great for the school as a whole. And I mean now, not ten years from now. By the way, I got two notes from the University of Virginia yesterday begging for money. That's a relentless commitment to success. With North Texas, it is a commitment that is missing by comparison. And that's a high standard, but then we are talking about a school with a team that got whacked by Virginia Tech last year. But on the other hand they beat a good team in a bowl too. It's a standard NT should be shooting for. I don't see it, but if they meet my 2006 football requirements, I will start to see it.

I'm going to double my MGC as well as renew my 2 season tickets this year. I'm also going to give 5 times as much in my annual general UNT support.

If the football team loses no game by more than 30 (including UT), beats SMU, and has a winning season, I am going to further double both those annual gifts for the next five years.

If they miss any of those objectives, I'll continue the 5X general support (but not doubled i.e. 10X) for 5 years, but I will not continue MGC or season tickets after this year. 

I hope others will adopt the same approach. That would make some upside for the school besides avoiding embarrassment this coming season. Maybe then some pressure will be felt. But my bit alone is not going to do that. Others need to take a similar approach and let the school know.

Maybe it seems extreme to hinge so much on the season and those games, but it is important to me to not have NT thought of as pitiful in this regard. Further, I say there is plenty of time to get ready to accomplish those objectives.

REVISED

Aquilis_Viridis, if your expectations for the 2006 season are met and we even became a Top 50 school because of it, I think many would have to re-evaluate their present concerns of MG football completely. Personally, I don't see those being met and I know others who say the same but just won't publicly post it on GoMeanGreen.com. Still (in this great country of ours) there is the freedom to have a change of heart or a change of mind.

One asked me just today just what was it that changed my own mind with the direction of this current MG football program and as to why my posts became much different than how they had been about this time last year. There is a simple answer to that:

Start with 2 strategic losses to 2 schools that a "4 years in a row" bowl program like UNT's should have (at least) been competitive. One of those 2 losses was the worst loss in Fouts Field history and that versus the Tulsa Golden Hurricane AND then............our going to Ruston, LA, to get schooled by a school many had previously thought we had been out-recruiting the last 3-4 years or you know, as during our "bowl years" when no mid-major from this region should have come even close to UNT with their recruiting classes' quality, especially those (which mean't most of them) who hadn't even been to a bowl game or it had been umpteen years since they had gone to a bowl. Yet had we actually been out-recruiting La Tech during our string of bowl years, it surely didn't translate on the football field.

So all that was a giant wake-up call for me (and FWIW, many, many, many others as well). Other things I won't elaborate on with this post are recent bowl losses to "4'th place" CUSA teams, losses to future SBC schools during years we went bowling as the SBC rep and...............DD's non-stop public relation gaffes and verbal gestures on post game radio shows that have appalled even the most casual of NT fans.

As another posted, I think by the end of this September/first part of October we will know all we need to know about the direction of this football program and how it stacks up outside the SBC. Outside the SBC? The SBC can never be a barometer for UNT football because if it ever came to that, we will be dead in the water as a viable NCAA D1-A football program and stuck in the bottom quadrant of NCAA D1-A; we will never receive any respect across the USA, but even more important than that, across the almighty sovereign state of Texas where most of us on this board live and work.

Next Fall, we can all hope for the best, but we sorta' did that when we played Tulsa and La Tech just last Fall, now didn't we?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest Aquila_Viridis

It is a fine line between success and absolute failure with D1 football. Success is within reach for this coming season. It was within reach last season and the people involved didn't stretch far enough. Mean Green, work HARD! It can be done.

We all know about our stadium.  However, Much has been done to upgrade the stadium.  Big Screen for replays, state of the art turf, etc. It looks bigger than the amount of people that it holds, and if we the fans and alumni were filling it up, then it would look really good.  I for one am tired of hearing about the stadium being a recruiting crutch.  Good salesmen sell to their strengths.  New athletic center, new locker rooms, new academic center, new practice fields.  I want a new stadium too.  I will be one of the first ones to pony up when the new capital campaign starts to build it, just like I was for the academic center.  But for right now, quit bitching about the stadium and work with it.  It is much improved than before RV got here.

I too want to see a new stadium. But when I go into Fouts now, I just remember that tape that I had of the UNT/UTA game at the end of 1985 season. When I looked at the tape a couple of years ago, I was shocked at what a dump Fouts was back then. It was the next season (1986) that the first artificial turf was installed.

Aquila--

I will have to agree that there is a fine line between winning and losing. What I saw, with others who were at the games was an abyss. A fine line is for being competitive and the abyss was for being not competitive.

1. We saw the abyss in ALL of the OOC games, again (what else is new).

2. We were not competive, by the stats, because all of the SBC teams out played us on paper by running through our "D" and our "O" did not start to do anything until about half way through conference play. Silver Eagle is correct in stating to RF that, "we are being outcoached."

3. Are we going to have that "fine line" this year between winning and losing?? Texas will beat us, as they should; SMU is a much improved team and has been out recruiting UNT over the last 3 years. Look what they did last year. SMU won the last 4 out of 6 games. They lost to Tulsa by 7 (we lost by over 40), they lost to East Carolina by 7, they lost to Marshall by 3 and lost to Baylor by 5; Akron....MAC champions last year....the SBC does not compare to the MAC in competition. The SBC champ would have trouble beating the #2 or #3 team just as we have trouble beating the #4 CUSA team.

4. Naturally, like everyone else who supports UNT athletics, I want to see the university fathers support a COMPETITIVE team/program instead of just "FIELDING" a team for entertainment purposes.

5. If the university fathers are complacently content in the current state of affairs of UNT football and all the financial windfalls that we have reaped (and I say this in jest) then just let all UNT alum know that mediocrity is the best we can expect from this university.

6. Do I appreciate the new athletic facilities .... yes.

7. Do I care if we continue to play in Fouts Field if we are "COMPETITIVE?"...no.

8. Would I like to see a new football facility?..... yes.

9. Do I think DD has reached the apex of being a HC??... yes

10. By the end of September we should know the state of where the FB team is headed again from how we play in the OOC games. I hope we can win one OOC game this year.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

What I mean by the fine line is that it does not take much falling off to fall a long way. We fell a long way, no doubt. However, I do think we can go from where we were last season to the kind of season I need to see, in one season, if the University of North Texas makes it a priority. If they don't, then adios, amigo.