Is The Direction of MG Football Today Better

Jeff Saragin has repeatedly said you can NOT use his poll for overall rankings between 1A and 1AA because there is not enough games played between the two groups. The his system is of limited usefulness in comparing a single 1A team to a single 1AA team if the two are playing. So suggesting Appalachian State is ahead of 48 1A teams is simply not accurate.

And, if you remember back in 78, there were two Top 20 polls. No one did a Top 25 till after CNN was started in the 80s. The AP ran a poll of sports writers. UPI ran a poll of coaches in which Hayden got to vote the year we were ranked.

More coaches than just Hayden had to vote for us to get the ranking we had. But if Hayden had voted us number 2 or 3 - any team that go a number 1 vote was listed as getting such a vote - then under “others receiving votes” we would have shown up as getting 18 or 19 votes under the old system. The next week, when we would win, there would be a reason to start thinking about NT and vote for us. When enough did, we were ranked by the coaches. We were never ranked by the sports writers.

VideoEagle, I may be off on the exact year and I stand to be corrected, but the Mean Green did beat a #18 or #19 ranked San Diego St. Aztec team the year I think we were ranked.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Ive been told by members of the saac committee that rick v is given a certain amount to run the athletic program on by the president. he then tries to run it as thriftly as he can.

• Upvote 1

VideoEagle, I may be off on the exact year and I stand to be corrected, but the Mean Green did beat a #18 or #19 ranked San Diego St. Aztec team the year I think we were ranked.

North Texas has a 1-6 record vs San Diego State. The lone NT win was in 1974. NT & Sand Diego State did not play in 1977 when NT was ranked #16 in the coaches poll and San Diego State was #16 in the AP & #19 in the Coaches.

Edited by MeanGreen61

North Texas has a 1-6 record vs San Diego State. The lone NT win was in 1974. NT & Sand Diego State did not play in 1977 when NT was ranked #16 in the coaches poll and San Diego State was #16 in the AP & #19 in the Coaches.

Muchos gracias for the correcion', MG61.

Fact still remains no matter how many showed up in that "2 win" season (Fry's 2'nd Fall at UNT) that the Mean Green still beat a Top 20 ranked team which made those of us who were around at that time very proud. Hayden Fry got his ticket to the Big 10 because of his OOC wins over known football schools.

But it was like Dandy Don Meredith used to say on Monday Night Football and I quote "The Danderoo" as Cosell called him: "If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas" and the next part of this post is for sure hindsight with a a very big "IF"..........but for the life of me, had Hayden Fry only been our AD and head football coach when UNT had 32,000 students (like now), 100,000 plus citizens in the City of Denton (like today) and now almost 600,000 population in Denton County, one could only wonder or speculate what could have taken place with a dramatically larger constituency than we had in the 1970's.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

VideoEagle--

I appreciate your comments about the Saragin Poll.....but where would you rank UNT after last year in D-1A?? If Saragin is a subjective poll and is subjectively fair to all schools then it is hard to imagine UNT is above a ranking of 100 for all D-1A schools. You will also have to admit that after last year UNT could not beat a bunch of D-1AA schools, right? With that in mind what sort of VideoEagle Poll would you place UNT in all of D-1A schools and where would you put them if you included D-1A and D-1AA schools???

My point, again, is that UNT hired DD with a 13-31-1 record as an OC (UTEP & SMU). blink.gif Was this the "best" that the university fathers could come up with?? Evidently, DD could not recruit there and still can not recruit here thus placing UNT in the position where we are now. He got a position of one of 117 D-1A schools with less than a mediocure record as an OC (39% winning percentage).

I just think it is time to get a creative coach in here that can put together game plans with the philosophy that we can win every game......that can be competitive in recruiting......a PR man on campus, community and around the state (even if it means speaking to small crowds of alum in any part of the state).

My expectations: win 2 OOC games, run the belt and beat the #4 CUSA team in the NOB.

VideoEagle--

I appreciate your comments about the Saragin Poll.....but where would you rank UNT after last year in D-1A??  If Saragin is a subjective poll and is subjectively fair to all schools then it is hard to imagine UNT is above a ranking of 100 for all D-1A schools.  You will also have to admit that after last year UNT could not beat a bunch of D-1AA schools, right?  With that in mind what sort of VideoEagle Poll would you place UNT in all of D-1A schools and where would you put them if you included D-1A and D-1AA schools???

My point, again, is that UNT hired DD with a 13-31-1 record as an OC (UTEP & SMU).  blink.gif  Was this the "best" that the university fathers could come up with??  Evidently, DD could not recruit there and still can not recruit here thus placing UNT in the position where we are now.  He got a position of one of 117 D-1A schools with less than a mediocure record as an OC (39% winning percentage).

I just think it is time to get a creative coach in here that can put together game plans with the philosophy that we can win every game......that can be competitive in recruiting......a PR man on campus, community and around the state (even if it means speaking to small  crowds of alum in any part of the state).

My expectations:  win 2 OOC games, run the belt and beat the #4 CUSA team in the NOB.

One might say when a UNT football program starts beating the 4'th place CUSA football team in the New Orleans Bowl that only then can we say we are beginning to make significant inroads in making our departure from the bottom quadrant of the 117 member NCAA D1-A.

If we don't beat the #4 ranked football team in CUSA, then aren't we just going to (probably) be playing musical chairs with the rest of the Sun Belt Conference football membership as far as who gets the annual honor of hosting the NO's Bowl and getting our heads handed to us on a silver platter? And that by a CUSA football team that would hardly be their best? In fact, there would be 3 other CUSA teams better than the one who would annually show up in the Big Easy.sad.gif

• 10 years later...

FAST FORWARD 10+ years......

With Wren Baker running the helm at AD, Seth Littrell taking us to a bowl game, it sure seems like we have come quite a long way from where we were back a decade ago.  Instead of wanting to beat the 4th place team in C-USA in a bowl --  we are now in C-USA and playing bowl games against ARMY.  Facilities have improved for sure yet we still seem to require more for success.  Recruiting not so much but it is still early to tell.  Interesting that there remains the common theme of high expectations.  Will it ever end?  STAY TUNED as we will revisit this subject again in a decade from now. GMG!

30 minutes ago, Harry said:

FAST FORWARD 10+ years......

With Wren Baker running the helm at AD, Seth Littrell taking us to a bowl game, it sure seems like we have come quite a long way from where we were back a decade ago.  Instead of wanting to beat the 4th place team in C-USA in a bowl --  we are now in C-USA and playing bowl games against ARMY.  Facilities have improved for sure yet we still seem to require more for success.  Recruiting not so much but it is still early to tell.  Interesting that there remains the common theme of high expectations.  Will it ever end?  STAY TUNED as we will revisit this subject again in a decade from now. GMG!

All of the 'accomplishments' were under RV's direction.

We should make a "Time Capsule" thread where everyone posts where they would realistically like to see the Athletics Dept in 2027.   Then dig the thread back up in 10 years to compare 2027 reality to 2017 fantasy.

• Upvote 2

On 4/18/2006 at 9:06 PM, Green Grenade II said:

Coach Dickey isn't going anywhere soon, so we better fall back in love with his style of coaching and hope for a winning season. We will be more experienced, and while we played SunBelt conference foes close...that's another talk show.

I don't even want to think about out-of-conference games. could be dismal.

On 4/19/2006 at 7:45 AM, meangreen11 said:

I agree with Green Grenade, Dickey will be our coach for several more years in the least possibly another couple of decades if he keeps winning. Our destiny as a top 25 program is directly tied to Dickey in that regard.

I think we had one bad year and we were due for a slip up. They will right the ship this year and beat SMU.

Way off on Dickey but @meangreen11 was right about SMUg. Little did they know, Dickey would be fired just 6.5 months later.

On 4/19/2006 at 2:42 PM, Mean'n'Green07 said:

This is a pretty easy answer: Yes, and the main reason why is because of RV. We're not happy where we are at, but we are better off than 10 years ago. As long as RV stays here I think we will continue to progress.

Yes and no.

I just hope to see something from DD next season. And if he goes 2-9 again I think he gets the boot no question.

Nailed it. 3-9 but damn close.

On a more real note, has @MeanGreen61 passed on?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

On a more real note, has @MeanGreen61 passed on?

Not sure.  But Rick Spears, aka GreenGrenade II...the father of "The Flyn Worm" has.  We lost him a couple of years back I believe.  Kindest old fella ever and one of the most talented NT alumn's I ever knew.  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Not sure.  But Rick Spears, aka GreenGrenade II...the father of "The Flyn Worm" has.  We lost him a couple of years back I believe.  Kindest old fella ever and one of the most talented NT alumn's I ever knew.  

Rick

I'm sorry/sad to hear that. Thank you for the info Rick.

• Upvote 2