Women lose to ASU 78-62

NTEagle08

This is getting rediculous.

It's sad how in the 3 years that I have been going to this school, that neither basketball team has won one game in the conference tournament.

They have a shot, probably small now, of making the NIT tournament. But at this point does it even matter if they do get in.

I don't think you can fire Coach Slinker after winning the regular season division title.  That bought her a year for me.  But if she's .500 or under next season it's time for her to go.

JJ hit that this season IMHO.

No, you couldn't fire her, but this is the last year of her current contract. You could just say move on and get a new head coach.

This is getting rediculous.

It's sad how in the 3 years that I have been going to this school, that neither basketball team has won one game in the conference tournament.

They have a shot, probably small now, of making the NIT tournament. But at this point does it even matter if they do get in.

I am very surprised your ladies lost last night. I thought for sure the semi's were a lock with Western Kentucky and FIU on one side and us and you guys on the other side.

But this begs the question, why is the East so much stronger in women's basketball than the West? And in retrospect you may be able to say the same thing about the men's side. But especially the women.

That just doesn't seem to make sense to me, and it's not just North Texas that is slipping to East Division teams. It's also the Cajuns, the Jags, the Privateers. Pretty much everyone in the West Division.

What are the East Division schools doing that is causing them to look so much better than the West. It can't be just winning those cross division games that gives the East the edge. There's gotta' be more to it than that.

I am very surprised your ladies lost last night.  I thought for sure the semi's were a lock with Western Kentucky and FIU on one side and us and you guys on the other side.

But this begs the question, why is the East so much stronger in women's basketball than the West?  And in retrospect you may be able to say the same thing about the men's side.  But especially the women.

That just doesn't seem to make sense to me, and it's not just North Texas that is slipping to East Division teams.  It's also the Cajuns, the Jags, the Privateers.  Pretty much everyone in the West Division.

What are the East Division schools doing that is causing them to look so much better than the West.  It can't be just winning those cross division games that gives the East the edge.  There's gotta' be more to it than that. 

What a quandry. This is something that I will ponder for a long while.

Edited by GangGreen

makes you wonder why RV promised Slinker a contract extention after this year at the MIDDLE of the season. WHY?????

WHY?

Because this athletic program has run completely amuck, has no clear direction (except one that seems to be pointed south) and..................UNT (whose administrative and BOR leaders have a worse than terrible legacy with the hiring of MG varsity head coaches of which other D1-A programs almost annually never show an interest in trying to hire them away from us. Some would call that a "tell tell" red flag, but others at UNT (strangely) call that "keeping a stability" with the same varsity coaches; but will these be varsity coaches who will probably never reach .500 no matter how long they keep getting their contracts extended in Denton? Some unusual style of athletic management at an NCA D1-A level that keeps getting rubber-stamped annually by the NT Board of Regents.

I realize this is a BB thread, but the following represents some of our varsity hirings in football. Head BB coach hirings at UNT may not be much better if you look at overall records of several roundball coaches we've had the last 3 decades in Denton.

........................................................................................................

JUST A FEW TIDBITS & THOUGHTS OF RECENT NT FOOTBALL COACHES POST HAYDEN FRY ERA:

** Jerry Moore//1979-1980//<>*<> 11 wins.....11 loses

Took over some good Hayden Fry talent and attempted to turn Fry's finesse style of talent with his wide open style of offense into a Big 8 three yards and a cloud of dust plow mule. He was .500 in Denton so that suggests to many on this board that he wasn't successful with his Big 8 experiment in Denton. Most NT Exes were hardly disappointed when TTech took a "2 year" .500 coach from Denton who many of us quite frankly felt he never used the talent he had in Denton in a way that had been previoulsy successful under Fry. I recall many Tech fans wondering why they ever hired Moore from UNT in the first place. I feel Moore's overal tenureship in Lubbock probably proved it not to be so a good hire for the Red Raiders.

** Bob Tyler//1981//<>*<> 2 wins.....9 losses

Many of us did enjoy a Country Music Revue headlined by T.G. Sheppard in a post game concernt during the State Fair in the Cotton Bowl. Crowd was one of those "pull the plug" type crowds with the OSU Cowboy fans having more fans at this game than NT.

** Corky Nelson//1982-1990<>*<> 46 wins.....43 losses

Had other situations that apparently caused NT leaders to decide to end his contract during a year that his team even beat SMU, ie, some of your own bell cow for DD come next season.

** Dennis Parker//1991-1993<>*<> 11 wins.....21 losses

SAY WHAT?!?!?!? NT administrators and the NT BOR's approved the choice of Dennis Parker over Dennis Francione to be the NT head football coach who would follow Corky Nelson).

** Matt Simon//1994-1997<>*<> 18 wins.....26 losses

Have talked with some who believe that our 1994 season may have been their favorite overall MG football season since the 1975 season when NT beat the UT Volunteers--UNT met NCAA D1-A criteria in that 1994 football season. The defining moment of the Matt Simon as far as when started going south was about the time a MG football player fumbled a punt during what had been a pretty exciting TAMU/UNT game in Texas Stadium.

** Darrell Dickey//1998-???? 26 wins.....39 losses after 8 seasons

Not many OOC wins for DD in 8 years and it appears no schools seem to ever have him on their "long or short" list of head football coaching candidates when there are D1-A openings...............also, DD's teams have played and won against SBC schools ranked anywhere from around 95 thru 117 on an annual basis which has created excitement for some on this board while for others it has been a point of frustration with what seems to be low set goals with low expections from our NT leadership.

DD's is probably the most unusual head football coaching job of any NCAA D1-A school I've observed in 40 years of being a college football fan. Wonder what an upcoming new NT President will have to say about all the sub .500 varsity coaches in MG Country with many years under their belts to have done other-wise?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think they are still in the mix, but I really dont think they'll get in. Granted they HAVE won a a couple of games to good teams, like MTSU and Lafayette (wohoo) they have also LOST more to lower tiered teams, like Denver (twice), FIU, and a couple of other I cannot think of off the top of my head. ALSO, they didnt win 20 games....and this is only 4 more wins that last year i might add. I hope I am wrong, but I think they'll miss it!

I agree...if they cant even win their own tourney I dont want to see UNT embarrassed by a team from a better conference. When they were last in the WNIT they got drummed in the first game of the tourney. This is just ridiculous! Instead of a FIRE COACH DICKEY board we need a "FIRE COACH SLINKER" board! She just doesnt cut it...I mean they should have known what kind of coach she was when they hired her...Marsha Sharp got rid of her when she was an assistant coach at Tech!

Guest GrayEagleOne

I agree...if they cant even win their own tourney I dont want to see UNT embarrassed by a team from a better conference.  When they were last in the WNIT they got drummed in the first game of the tourney.  This is just ridiculous!  Instead of a FIRE COACH DICKEY board we need a "FIRE COACH SLINKER" board!  She just doesnt cut it...I mean they should have known what kind of coach she was when they hired her...Marsha Sharp got rid of her when she was an assistant coach at Tech!

I agree that this has gotten to the ridiculous stage, but with her record (this year) compared to our other sports, she probably deserves a contract extension (tounge-in-cheek).

I realize that she was one and done in the Sun Belt Tournament and any thoughts of a WNIT invitation are absurd but it's hard to fire someone who finished with a 19-9 record and won the West Division, weak or not.

Consider our other sports this year. Men's basketball was 14-14 but 11-14 against Division I opponents. I don't need to remind you of our 2-9 record in football. Thanks to a late season run of five straight wins our volleyball team won 14. Of course they lost either 18 or 21 depending on how you feel about 'promo' losses. Out tennis team now stands at 4-9 (or worse). Our softball team is around .500. Cross country had losing seasons, both men and women (I consider it a losing season if more teams finish ahead of you than behind). Men's and women's golf are mediocre. Swimming and diving were the least competitive of all (I believe Grand Green has already dissertated on this). Indoor and outdoor track has been good, but not overwhelming.

The only other sport that had a winning season was soccer. They finished with a fine 16-3-2 record but they were also eliminated in the first round of the NCAAs.

Now, I agree that in spite of this year's record, she still has a losing record overall after 17 seasons and it's time to go. In fact, if we keep Hedlund, and maybe Sheffield, and release the rest, it would be fine with me. I'm ready to give others a chance to see if they can lift our programs.