This is a big year

catman12

I've been one of the few on this board that has given Coach Dickey some credit for our past success. That being said, in my opinion, this coming season should determine where our program goes in the coming years. If we have another disappointing season like the last, I think we should search for other coaching options. I think Dickey has been wonderful for our program and I think he has done a fabulous job. But we all do want bigger and better things for our program.

I just thought it would be interesting to discuss the importance of this coming football season. In my opinion, we are at a critical point in our football program's history and next season will go a long way in determining which direction we are headed. I would like to hear some other thoughts.

In the interest of time, let me sum of what's likely to happen to this thread.

Some "malcontent" will come over and start talking about higher expectations and how you're selling out the program. Then myself and a few other "apologists" will swoop in, begging those guys to cool it. There will be some sort of verbal barrage, and everyone will leave upset. That seems to be the way things work around here these days.

But, for the record, I agree with what you say.

I can honestly say that, without seeing a snap of practice, I have no idea what our record will be this upcoming season. I'd classify every game on the schedule besides Texas as a legitimate "winnable" game. But there are so many "ifs" (offensive line, defensive line, Jamario's health, QB development, team vision and focus, et. al), that I could see a one loss or a one win season.

My expectations? Win the Sun Belt, and go at least .500 in OOC. That's what I expect, but, because of those "ifs," I wouldn't put any money on it.

Some "malcontent" will come over and start talking about higher expectations and how you're selling out the program. Then myself and a few other "apologists" will swoop in, begging those guys to cool it. There will be some sort of verbal barrage, and everyone will leave upset. That seems to be the way things work around here these days.

AMEN!

I'd classify every game on the schedule besides Texas as a legitimate "winnable" game

This statement could get a man beat down these days. I have heard garbage about who this is out time to beat Texas since they will be playing with a freshman QB. Forget the fact that they lose like maybe 5 of their 22 starters.

This board needs to have realistic expectaions, like the ones stated by Illuvius.

With that being said, bring on the low expectations, and the we will never win the National Championship with that attitude people.

I especially like those that think it is no stretch of the imagination for us to be playing in the extra BCS Bowl "made for mid-majors".

I really get a good hearty belly laugh out of those people.

Who was that guy, maybe he was one of the best coaches to walk the sidelines in many peoples opinion, he said something, "YOU ARE WHAT YOU ARE!"

If we have another disappointing season like the last, I think we should search for other coaching options. I think Dickey has been wonderful for our program and I think he has done a fabulous job. But we all do want bigger and better things for our program.

coaches dont get fired in other conferences for Not being coach of the year once. and they dont get fired in this conference untill they havent been coach of the year for at least 4 years.

I've tried to hold my criticism of DD (not the easiest thing to do, and sometimes I don't), but he needs to have a .500 or better OOC record and hold the SunBelt title at the end of the year, or else this season is a disapointment to me. Last season was a BIG disapointment, but he earned the right to have a down year. We as fans have raised the bar, in large part due to DD, now it's his turn to bring it up a notch.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad to see everyone "Stating" YOUR expectations for this year's season in FB.

I was wondering with me posting my expectations over the last few months: Win 2 OOC games, Win the SBC and beat the #4 CUSA team, when most of you would "follow suit" and "cross the line in the sand" instead of just giving "lip service in some ambigous way (pro/con)." I do not care if we win 2/4 OOC games by 1 point and lose the other 2 by 30,40 or 50.....just win 2 OOC games.

It is important in any program to know what each and eveyone of you SPECIFICALLY EXPECT of our program leaders.....if it be in FB, BB, Soccer...etc..

Now, IMHO, I hope that DD carries through with his promise to surprise some teams to kick their AS_!! The way the board is divided it will the oposition's AS_ or DD's AS_!! IMHO, again, I think we will know the direction of the FB program by the end of September 2006. We will certainly know where it is headed by Mid December.

Let us all live in reality and not get too enchanted by what may be said of our new recruits when they are presented to us starting at noon on Feb. 1. We all have to remember what Matt Simon told us once. " This recruiting class is just as good as Alabamas."

We will "not" know what our new guys can do until they perform in the class and on the field.

I wish everyone of our new recruits the best of luck, hard hitting and the best of health.

I think there are other more important things to worry about this time of the year. Like if Jeff Bagwell will be in a Houston uniform next year.  blink.gif  dry.gif

maybe ... but on this board the #1 topic at this time should be --who signs or shows up in uniform next year.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

It is important in any program to know what each and eveyone of you SPECIFICALLY EXPECT of our program leaders.....if it be in FB, BB, Soccer...etc..

Personally, I think most of our expectations are about the same. Sure there's an outlier who expects to beat Texas, but mostly, I think we're on the same page.

Where many of us are not on the same page is what happens when those expectations are not met. Some of us feel that someone should be fired, some think that we should wait just one more year, and the rest fall somewhere in between.

Maybe it might be better to state what you feel should be done if your expectations are not met. Without knowing what kind of season we'll have, I don't know exactly how I'll react, but I don't think how I feel matters: if we have another 2 win season, I wouldn't be shocked if there were a firing or two.

But, hey, if it is a deal where we win the Sun Belt again, and beat SMU, I'll probably be a happy guy. This all might be a moot point.

A repeat of this past fall is definitely grounds for some shake-ups at coaching positions across the board. Every coach should be pushing for more of their side of the ball- just in case the other side doesn't come through and because it's a thorough way to coach.

I want that SMU win, though. I want them smashed. I want the coach to be hit so hard that he goes home questioning his career choice.

I agree that the upcoming year is a pivotal one. My experience in my long tenure as a UNT fan has been that just when we seem to be near a breakthrough, we fall backward. We just never seem to be able to get over the hump and I think we are beginning to lose the momentum we have built the last few years, making next year a cruticial one in all sports. We either get over that hump or we may be on the backslide as an athletic program for years to come.

I agree that a football win over SMU is critical, as well as at least 2 out-of-conference wins. We also have to be much more competitve in Sun Belt football than we were this year (basketball is holding its own at the moment). We need to keep the positve media exposure. We started out with the Cobbs/Thomas media blitz this year and then our football season just crushed all that momentum--again another example of not getting over that hump.

I would like to include some of my "off-the field" expectations:

Coaching:

1. During public statements/interviews, concentrate on the positives of the school, athletic department, facilities and fan base rather than the negative--it's been said for a long time that you get more by using "honey than vinegar" (Coach Jones seems to understand this concept--I don't know if it came naturally or the has learned from the mistakes made by other coaches, but it seems to be serving him well). I hope it is not too late for others to make amends in this area

2. Project a positive image when dealing with the public--use of profanity at public events (which is offensive to some people) and ignoring or criticizing the fan base does not lend itself to good public relations with the fans or interest by recruits and their parents, both of which are necessary for the program to move in the direction we would like

3. Instill in the players the concept that the fans are part of the "team effort" and need to be treated as such

4. Continue improvement in the graduation rate of athletes

Now for the fans, who also need to step up next year:

1. Continue your attendance at events regardless of your feelings about the coaching staffs or the records of the teams--we need to establish some consistency among the fan base--we need to grow our real fans!

2. Support the Mean Green Club in any way you can---join, increase your contribution, get friends to join, take part in the activities, etc.---we need to have the solid foundation of the Mean Green Club and it needs to grow

3. Spread your support among as many sports as you can, not just football--we need to have a well-rounded atheletic program to move to the next level and they all need our attendance and monetary support

4. Continue helping to sell the Mean Green program---there is power in numbers and it can't all be done by the athletic staff---fly those flags, hang those posters, bring new people to the games, keep in contact with the media asking for more coverage, support the radio network, etc., according to your ability to do these things--everyone can do something postive next year

5. Keep in mind that this is a "team" effort and that unless the fans do their part, we will never move up to the next level

Just an opinion from a loyal fan of many years who still has hope that the program can progress to the next level and hopes it happens in my lifetime!