Greatest UNT Coaches of All Time

meangreen11

Football

Best

1. Hayden Fry (No one else is close)

2. Rod Rust (imo, very good coach; suffered from budget cutbacks and change in recruiting rules in his last 3 years)

3. Corky Nelson (Solid coach who always managed to get up for the big OC games)

4. Matt Simon ( Did a very good job his first couple of years; promoted the program and played respectable ball when you consider the teams he played and that NT had just returned to 1a ball) (Completely lost it his last year)

Worst

1. Bob Tyler (Fired after one year)

2. Jerry Moore (Detroyed a potentially great team)

3. DD (Would rate higher if only based on results, but his continued imo stupid comments about NT and the program puts him in this list)

Basketball

Best

1. Dan Spika (imo easly the best, lousy record but played in equalivant of ACC at time.)

2. Bill Blakeley (Best modern record achieved with Robbin's recruits)

2. Gene Robbins (Great recruiter, bad record but played a much toucher schedule)

4. Jimmy Gales (Played exciting bb and had NT's one NCAA experience)

5. JJ (Jury is still out)

5. Tim Janovitch (It was obviously a mistake firing TJ and replacing with Trilli)

Worst

1. Vic Trilli ( In a landside)

2. Harry Miller (Left after 1 year to take Wichita State coaching job)

3. Tommy Newman (Was hired with 1 year of college coaching exp at lower level)

W. Basketball

Best

1. Tina Slinker (Only coach in modern era of w. basketball, could also be on other list)

2. Judy Nelson (I hated losing her more than Corky at the time)

Worst

1. Cherri Rapp (left after 1 year to take A&M head coaching job)

BEST

football -

1. Fry (best all-time coach at 3 D-1 schools)

2. Mitchell (great recruiter, probably as good as Fry)

3. Nelson (great job, bad circumstances (1-AA))

4. Dickey (not the best, but pretty good job, though he hates the fans)

basketball -

1. Blakeley (the best at coaching, recruiting, national publicity, etc)

2. Spika (those were some entertaining teams)

3. Jones (we don't have much legacy, and he's pretty good)

WORST

football

Rust, Parker (Uncle Festus), Tyler

basketball

Tommy Effing Newman, who told my Frat in a meeting that "we at NT" were "not interested" in a player like Spud Webb, or "the kind of game" he played......at least he was honest, albeit an idiot!!!

Guest GrayEagleOne

Football

Best

1. Hayden Fry (College HOF...no one else is close)

2. Odus Mitchell (got great effort from what he had)

3. Rod Rust (one of the best when he has the hosses)

4. Corky Nelson (terrific at getting team up for big [1A] games)

5. Matt Simon (went to NFL from here)

Basketball

1. Dan Spika (Blakeley is my friend but Spika was the best for Xs and Os)

2. Bill Blakeley (but outstanding for coaching and entertainment)

3. Gene Robbins (our best recruiter)

4. Tim Jankovich (sold but not spectacular)

5. Jimmy Gayles (some pretty good teams; some mediocre)

Women's Basketball

1. Tina Slinker (rough start, but the last eight years have been good)

2. Judy Nelson (she was just starting to get things clicking when she left)

There just isn't enough history for the women's program.

Those of you who didn't like Tommy Newman as a coach, take at close look at what Jimmy Gales did with his players once he left! Recruited arguably one of the best players to play at UNT - Worrell.

Some coaches are made for college, some high school, and some pro. He was a heck of a coach at Trinity High, in fact leading them to two state title games, one of which I believe he won. Developed over 15 D-1 kids. Not to mention a great guy.

Just my two cents.

With all of the incredible advances in modern medicine and science, I say let's go with incubating a test tube coach. He would be called Coach Uber. We take some recruitng DNA from Mitchell, some fiestyness DNA of Simon, some get up for big games DNA from Corky, and some overall program management DNA from Hayden. We might want to throw in some Tina Slinker DNA to soften Coach Uber just a bit so Coach Uber can better deal with the quirks of the modern athlete.

With all of the incredible advances in modern medicine and science, I say let's go with incubating a test tube coach. He would be called Coach Uber. We take some recruitng DNA from Mitchell, some fiestyness DNA of Simon, some get up for big games DNA from Corky, and some overall program management DNA from Hayden. We might want to throw in some Tina Slinker DNA to soften Coach Uber just a bit so Coach Uber can better deal with the quirks of the modern athlete.

That's one ugly SOB

I think it's interesting that, just one year ago, Matt Simon was considered an idiot by many on the board and would never have made any of these lists ahead of DD. (I am a closet Simon fan, myself---afterall, he was the coach when I started at NT and he coached the biggest OOC win I've yet seen by the Mean Green---97's win over tech in Lubbock and one of the most exciting --97 season finale vs. Utah St.(conf champ))

I don't think Simon should be considered one of our best coaches. He may be a good assistant, but not a head coach. All he did was make excuses. Sure he had some tough NC games, but we would also get beat 55-0 against teams in our own conference. Sure he beat Tech, but we have beat them 4 out of the 8 times we've played them.

As for Fry, great head coach, poor AD. Taking us independent was a bad move. I understand what he was trying to do, but it was a complete failure which led to the main reason why he left, which was we weren't invited to any bowl games.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Those of you who didn't like Tommy Newman as a coach, take at close look at what Jimmy Gales did with his players once he left!  Recruited arguably one of the best players to play at UNT - Worrell.

Some coaches are made for college, some high school, and some pro.  He was a heck of a coach at Trinity High, in fact leading them to two state title games, one of which I believe he won.  Developed over 15 D-1 kids.  Not to mention a great guy.

Just my two cents.

Tommy Newman was the coach that took Spud Webb's scholarship away.

Tommy Newman was the coach that took Spud Webb's scholarship away.

Tommy Newman brought in a slow it down, work the clock offense that was like watching paint dry. He may be a nice man and a good high school coach, but his style did nothing for North Texas.

Tommy Newman brought in a slow it down, work the clock offense that was like watching paint dry.  He may be a nice man and a good high school coach, but his style did nothing for North Texas.

Wasn't he the head coach at Texas Weslyan, who had some success there. As I recall, we hired him after he beat us with that "watching-paint-dry" offense.

Just another example of how the administrators at North Texas make decisions. North Texas has an off night against TWU (in Fort Worth), we're looking for another coach, and BINGO! we get him....... mad.gif

Wasn't he the head coach at Texas Weslyan, who had some success there. As I recall, we hired him after he beat us with that "watching-paint-dry" offense.

Just another example of how the administrators at North Texas make decisions. North Texas has an off night against TWU (in Fort Worth), we're looking for another coach, and BINGO! we get him....... mad.gif

You are exactly right on both his offense and NT's decision process. Texas Weslyan had a boat load of 1a talent that could not get in NCAA 1a schools or were second chance players, and they stomped NT that year. I do disagree on that it was an off night, TW had the much better team.

As an aside, anyone who thinks Newman is a great recruiter; couldn't have watched his teams. Worrell turned out to be a good player for NT but to suggest that Gales' ncaa tournament team was build on Newman's recruits is imo not true. Morgan, Hunter, Roberson and most of that team were recruited by Gales.

Worrell was an under the rador recruit from North Carolina that really didn't develop until his junior and senior year under Gales.

You are exactly right on both his offense and NT's decision process.  Texas Weslyan had a boat load of 1a talent that could not get in NCAA 1a schools or were second chance players, and they stomped NT that year.  I do disagree on that it was an off night, TW had the much better team.

As an aside, anyone who thinks Newman is a great recruiter; couldn't have watched his teams.  Worrell turned out to be a good player for NT but to suggest that Gales' ncaa tournament  team was build on Newman's recruits is imo not true.  Morgan, Hunter, Roberson and most of that team were recruited by Gales.

Worrell was an under the  rador recruit from North Carolina that really didn't develop until his junior and senior year under Gales.

This is no more true than the statement that Blakeley won with Robbins' recruits ( Kenneth Lyons as an example), but if you want to point to bonehead administrative decisions taking Jerry Moore over Bill Brashier and making Andy Everest A.D. had to be the all time worst. If we had chosen Brashier our whole defensive staff stays intact, and we might just have retained a young Bill Snyder as offensive coordinator. Blakeley was much more qualified to be A.D. and with his oversight Gales would have been able to continue to move BB forward. Probably the best opportunity for advancement of NT athletics of all time and the decision was left to the egg heads in their Ivory Tower. That's why Faculty control and leave it to " DA JUDGE" ---LJ scare the hell out of me!!!

Probably the best opportunity for advancement of NT athletics of all time and the decision was left to the egg heads in their Ivory Tower. That's why Faculty control and leave it to " DA JUDGE" ---LJ scare the hell out of me!!!

Me too. With Dr. Pohl being forced out and LJ selecting his own I expect a decline of emphasis in Athletics. Not good times ahead I fear. sad.gif

Best FB coach

1. Hayden Fry ( no person comes close)

Worst FB coach

1. Dennis Parker,man was he awful, thats what you get when you bring a HS coach

Best BB mens coach

Bill Blakely, great coach and fun to keep up with

Worst BB coach

Vic Trilli

Best Lady BB Coach

Tina Slinker, hope she is here for a long time, great potential

This is no more true than the statement that Blakeley won with Robbins' recruits ( Kenneth Lyons as an example), but if you want to point to bonehead administrative decisions taking Jerry Moore over Bill Brashier and making Andy Everest A.D. had to be the all time worst. If we had chosen Brashier our whole defensive staff stays intact, and we might just have retained a young Bill Snyder as offensive coordinator. Blakeley was much more qualified to be A.D. and with his oversight Gales would have been able to continue to move BB forward. Probably the best opportunity for advancement of NT athletics of all time and the decision was left to the egg heads in their Ivory Tower. That's why Faculty control and leave it to " DA JUDGE" ---LJ scare the hell out of me!!!

Lyons was not a Robbins' recruit. Blakeley 20 games winning seasons were done with a team made up almost entirely of Robbins recruits, unlike Gales' couple of good teams that only had a few Newman players. Blakeley did recruit Weasel Johnson but most of the other contributing players were recruited by Robbins/Tubbs. Carl Jones, Fred Mitchell, Melvin Davis, Terry Bailey and Kenneth Williams, who anyone would agree were the backbone of Blakeley's 20 win teams were all Robbins signees.

I am not way saying that Blakeley was not a good hire, just that he benefitted from inheriting a very strong group of players.

As far as bonehead NT administration athletic moves, it would be hard to pick a winner because you have so many choices. My choice would be failure to any significant degree to fight going 1aa in football.

FB

1. Fry (most innovative)

2. Nelson (did more with less than anyone)

3. Rusk (had just great talent from Mitchell-but couldn't recruit)

4. DD (has rebuilt the program but now needs to go further)

BB

1. Spika (he will always be #1 in my book...got me hooked on BB)

2. Blakely (run and gun..wow)

3. JJ (we are getting that intensity back again)

4. Pistol Pete Jankovich (just kidding about the pistol pete part...only ncaa appearance)

They didn't choose Jerry Moore over Bill Brasher. They told Brasher that he would have to apply like everyone else, and that they would take his application under advisement. This pissed Brasher off so much that he made the decision to not go through the application process and instead joined Fry in Iowa.

Brasher had devoted his playing and coaching career to North Texas. I don't know if he worked for Odus Mitchell, but he did work for Rod Rust, and Hayden Fry retained him when he took over the program. Since most head coaches like to bring their own people in, what did that say about Brasher's abilities as a coach?

I was reminded of all this "North Texas Administrative boneheaded stuff", when I read recently about the Boise St. head coach being hired by Colorado. The Boise St. head coach is hired by Colorado on December the 17th. Immediately after that announcement (and I'm talking the same day folks) Boise St. officials announce that the DC has been elevated to the head coaching position.

So, in one decisive stroke, the Boise St. program maintains a great deal of it's continuity, and they will probably continue (without much disruption) the progress that they've enjoyed for the last 20 years.

Because you will never see the NT administration act with such decisiveness and forethought, we will always be fighting an uphill battle to get our football program operating any higher than where it is now.