Improvements

Mad Hatter

Alright - I was driving home from work today and I had a couple of ideas about ways to improve the game experience at Fouts, and I thought, Man, I can hardly wait to post those on GMG to get some feedback. Then I thought, If folks from the administration/athletic dept really read this forum, then what a great way for them to get some constructive/innovative ideas.

So I'll post my ideas, and ya'll let me know what you think, but if you have some ideas (other than "Fouts Sucks! Build a new stadium!") post them here. It could be like an alumni and student brainstorming session of ways to help. Maybe we could find some things that we as alums could work on as well.

Ideas:

Move the band out of the middle of the student section and put it on one of the edges. They have some of the best seats on the student side, and end up dividing the students in half. I think it would help to increase the energy level to have the students all together feeding off each other's excitement.

Which brings me to my next point:

Have some kind of student spirit section and come up with a catchy name for it, ie the Pit Crew for basketball. Technically you could say it's the Talons, but I was thinking of something less organized, that any Joe student who wanted to get loud and crazy could go to sit. Then the cheerleaders would know where to start to get the crowd into the game. Maybe paint the bleachers in that section or something.

Which then leads to my last idea:

While thinking of names for the student area/section I was trying to think of anything that has to do with the word "Green". First I came up with Greenbacks, or Greenbackers. But then I thought of the Green Zone.....I couldn't think of where I'd heard that until I heard a news story on Iraq and the Green Zone in Baghdad. So I started wondering to myself if maybe we could have an area (maybe in the endzone bleachers) and call it the GreenZone. Then maybe we offer any military personal a free ticket and halfprice to their families, and allow them to sit there. Maybe you paint that section Green, and encourage them to wear camo?

So those are the ideas I came up with. Any suggestions? Or critiques? Also let's throw some other ideas around too. UNT Staff, if you're reading this, PAY ATTENTION! You might get something you can use!

GMG!!!

PS - Sorry for my very first lengthy post.

Edited by Mad Hatter

Have some kind of student spirit section and come up with a catchy name for it, ie the Pit Crew for basketball.  Technically you could say it's the Talons, but I was thinking of something less organized, that any Joe student who wanted to get loud and crazy could go to sit.  Then the cheerleaders would know where to start to get the crowd into the game.  Maybe paint the bleachers in that section or something.

Which then leads to my last idea:

I have always been an advocate of some kind of huge spirit group. I would love to see something that unites students from all the dorms, social organizations, and anyone interested into one united front. ( nothing against the Talons, but it's a tiny group that involves dues, fines, mandatory meetings, service projects, pledgeships, initiations, formals, etc... ) The new group could be for dedicated North Texas football fans, and involve only football games and maybe a few parties.

Then again, maybe the best idea would be to totally restructure the Talons organization to function in the way listed above, and not as a spirit oriented fraternal organization.

This is kind of a different subject about gameday, but I have wanted to discuss this all year.

When the team walks through before the game, does anyone else think they look ragged?? The way they dress has something to be desired.

I wish that DD or RV would make them dress better. Most if not all SEC teams wear at least a tie when doing there walk through. UT, A&M and others wear team issued collared shirts and jeans.

Just a thought.

ohmy.gif

This is probably the most productive thread in some time. I like the ideas of getting students more involved on gameday. I was thinking of something like the 12th man gig A&M does on gameday. Have a drawing and let one Frat-student a game dress out and be on the sidelines. (you know the other frat brothers and sisters would be there to support him) Give him a "00" number jersey and let that be a tradition. I dont know about playing them on coverage teams, but there may be a place to play them on extra point tries? Obviously we may have to modify it some so it doesnt seem so much like we stole the idea, but I really like it.

Just a thought to get the students to be more of a part???

Good thread...GMG!!!

This is probably the most productive thread in some time. I like the ideas of getting students more involved on gameday. I was thinking of something like the 12th man gig A&M does on gameday. Have a drawing and let one Frat-student a game dress out and be on the sidelines. (you know the other frat brothers and sisters would be there to support him) Give him a "00" number jersey and let that be a tradition. I dont know about playing them on coverage teams, but there may be a place to play them on extra point tries? Obviously we may have to modify it some so it doesnt seem so much like we stole the idea, but I really like it.

Just a thought to get the students to be more of a part???

Good thread...GMG!!!

How about allowing one student each game the opportunity to be the head coach and one alumni the opportunity to be the offensive coordinator. Just imagine how many more games we would win.

A few years ago the part of the band would come to the alum side and play the fight song from the "equator" between the upper and lower sections.  That hasn't been done in a while.  I'd like to see the Dancers come over as well and do a routine with the band on the equator.

Yes! The "mini-band" was great. I can't imagine why they cut that out. Oh, I'll bet the highly-professional "event staff" wouldn't let them loiter on the equator long enough to play the fight song.

I like all the ideas, with the exception of putting military or anyone for that matter in the end zone...the end zone seats are next to awful at Fouts...

Great idea about the "Green-Zone"...good band idea too.

Obviously you were not sitting in the row immediately above the band ......they played while the game was on and no one immediately in front of them (for several rows) and they strung them out for about 50 feet....

We couldn't see the game because of them....which is why I don't believe this is a good idea...How about on the sidelines immediately in front of the first 3 or 4 rows and see how that section of fans like this idea.

I would like to see a school sponsored pre game Chili Cook Off before one game each year.

Make it a big deal, have some celebrity judges, give away decent prizes...etc.

I think there is a something to this, pregame activity theme for every home game would be great Chili Cook off, BBQ contest, Best burgers, best sausage, and others. Where's the beef contest!!!!

They kind of started this at the end of the season but the best tailgate party & best food. Video for the jumbo-tron.

Maybe an Intramural Olympics to get the dorms, apartments and the Greeks to compete before the game.

Well if the wacko neighbor would stop filing frivilous lawsuits we could get the shop done and get he new smoker done and painted up. Then we should get our very own Greenbackers Smoking team set-up to start competing.

Plus with parties in the parking lot now, we should have a more lively crown next year

I would like to see a school sponsored pre game Chili Cook Off before one game each year.

Make it a big deal, have some celebrity judges, give away decent prizes...etc.

We actually already have a Chili Cook off every year before the Family Day football game. It's sponsored (at least in part) by UNT Housing. I know they have sold Tshirts for it in the past and I think they gave out trophies....Rachel probably can reply with more info...

I am a season ticket holder, and I didn't know about the chili cookoff commented on above. Who do we petition to get more notice out as to the events on campus?

Also - how does one get to be a judge? I know I can eat some chili!

We actually already have a Chili Cook off every year before the Family Day football game.  It's sponsored (at least in part) by UNT Housing.  I know they have sold Tshirts for it in the past and I think they gave out trophies....Rachel probably can reply with more info...

The biggest Gameday Improvement they can make is the score of OOC games at Fouts.  The constant OOC losses are killing our credibility as a 1-A program.  A 7-38 OOC record deserves someone else give it a try.  dry.gif

So you suggest schedule a bunch of cream puff games at Fouts?

I think that would be worse for our credibility then going to Austin, Norman, Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, or Lincoln (or any other major college football city) and getting beat like a drum. At least NT gets paid for those games (half a mil for LSU last season, probably same for UT next season).

While not all of the 45 OOC games you have accounted for in that record have been against major football powers, a lot have.

So you suggest schedule a bunch of cream puff games at Fouts?

Cream Puffs? Do you consider Tulsa and La Tech major powers we should lose to by 40 points, like we did? How about SMUt...if we stay within 30 is that OK? Get a grip, we are losing ground to these mid-road programs. BTW, the 7-38 includes losses to many new programs and average ones as well. dry.gif

Edited by NT80

I think people are missing the point of threads like these. The topic is what can "We" the fans do to improve the game day environment to help the school draw more fans.

It is completely pointless for us as fans to have discussion about scheduling and on the feild decissions. Let use this off season as fans to find ways that "we" can help.

I think people are missing the point of threads like these.  The topic is what can "We" the fans do to improve the game day environment to help the school draw more fans.

It is completely pointless for us as fans to have discussion about scheduling and on the feild decissions.  Let use this off season as fans to find ways that "we" can help.

You mean pissing and moaning isn't helping? huh.gif

I think that the game day atmosphere is getting better and better every year. The Greenbackers already drag a big a$$ smoker to the tailgating area and feed people for free. They (we) also bring refreshments that we give away. The Greenbackers welcome anyone who wants to join in the festivities, and never ask for any reimbursement.

Short of finding people the woman/man of their dreams, I'm not sure what else we can do to make gameday more enjoyable for the casual fan. huh.gif