Vince Young whines about the Hesiman Trophy

Got5onIt

Great article on this:

Quit Acting Like a Baby, Vince

excerpt:

Vince got his panties in a pile when he lost out in the Heisman voting to University of Southern California running back Reggie Bush. Instead of being gracious and congratulating Bush like he should have, Vince got his jock in a knot. He didn't party with Bush after the ceremony, breaking Heisman protocol.

"I'm just disappointed for my fans, especially for my teammates and my family for not representing them in the right way," Young said after the ceremony. "I feel like I let my guys down, let my family down, let the whole cities of Austin and Houston down."

I live in Austin, I go to University of Texas football games, and I don't feel let down. Do you? Who cares who wins the Heisman? Now, the Rose Bowl and the national championship, that's another matter. That's Texas. That's braggin' rights. That's for the honor of the Lone Star State. Screw that one up, Vince, and we'll talk about your mamma.

But Vince Young and the Heisman is a personal problem. Got an empty space on your trophy shelf, Vince? Buy a vase.

I dont see whats wrong with not being happy about being number 1. who likes to be #2, obviously NT. I like that competitive edge in Vince Young. He's going to be pissed off during the Rose Bowl and light up USC! GO HORNS!!!

Hook em'

bottom line NT fans...quit settling for 2nd place!

Well, until this year, the Horns regularly settled for second place. There is a difference between being competitive and being competitive with class.

I dont see whats wrong with not being happy about being number 1. who likes to be #2, obviously NT. I like that competitive edge in Vince Young. He's going to be pissed off during the Rose Bowl and light up USC! GO HORNS!!!

Hook em'

The problem with Vince's attitude is not that he likes to win. There's nothing wrong with that. But the problem is that he wasn't a gracious loser. He lost. A proper response would have been "Yeah, I'm disappointed but Reggie is a fantastic running back and deserves the honor. I'll meet him in the Rose Bowl." That would have illustrated a competitive attitude while still being a good loser.

And taking pot shots on North Texas fans was a low blow. dry.gif

Well, until this year, the Horns regularly settled for second place.  There is a difference between being competitive and being competitive with class.

Vince was motivated into his actions by the actions of the baseball team a coupe of years ago when they lost the championship game. Did you see how much Young was pouting on the sidelines during the Aggie game?

Vince was motivated into his actions by the actions of the baseball team a coupe of years ago when they lost the championship game.  Did you see how much Young was pouting on the sidelines during the Aggie game?

That doesnt really make any sense, or its a loose association at best to relate him to the baseball team

And I didnt take the bank machine game to be pouting, more that he looked frustrated with his own play. we have a QB that seems to do that alot, sitting off by himself pouting. Careful throwing stones..

On the other hand, I also think its not that big of a deal. I get tired of the rehearsed "everyone is wonderful" speeches. At least he's being real-- or "gangsta" , as he calls it laugh.gif

Edited by Eagle1855

The problem with Vince's attitude is not that he likes to win. There's nothing wrong with that. But the problem is that he wasn't a gracious loser. He lost. A proper response would have been "Yeah, I'm disappointed but Reggie is a fantastic running back and deserves the honor. I'll meet him in the Rose Bowl." That would have illustrated a competitive attitude while still being a good loser.

And taking pot shots on North Texas fans was a low blow.  dry.gif

Im trying to remember, isnt there a word for a gracious loser? oh yeah LOSER. of course he is upset he is not use to losing. it just dosent happen to him very often, cut him some slack. I dont feel like partying with the guy who gets the promotion I was up for.

Im trying to remember, isnt there a word for a gracious loser? oh yeah LOSER. of course he is upset he is not use to losing. it just dosent happen to him very often, cut him some slack. I dont feel like partying with the guy who gets the promotion I was up for.

Maybe you don't feel like it, but you do it anyway, if it's expected of you. Do you think Matt Leinart really wanted to party? How about last year - think any of the other finalists wanted to party? Well, they did it anyway. Sometimes you have to put out of mind your disappointment and represent yourself and your TEAM in a situation that's less than ideal. No excuses. Quit whining.

Maybe you don't feel like it, but you do it anyway, if it's expected of you. Do you think Matt Leinart really wanted to party? How about last year - think any of the other finalists wanted to party? Well, they did it anyway. Sometimes you have to put out of mind your disappointment and represent yourself and your TEAM in a situation that's less than ideal. No excuses. Quit whining.

Heaven forbid someone should break protocol. I don't see anything wrong with what he did. OH NO, someone wants to do what they want!? Who cares? So Vince isn't part of the status quo. I don't really know what he did to make everyone mad, but it really doesn't seem that important.

And, as an organization, I don't know how the 'Horns don't have class.

Bush got it despite competing for attention against last year's winner ON THE SAME TEAM.

That speaks volumes about what Bush did this season.

I think it speaks volumes to the hype that USC gets, and that the Heisman is really decided based on 1 or 2 games at the end of the year.

I think it speaks volumes to the hype that USC gets, and that the Heisman is really decided based on 1 or 2 games at the end of the year.

No question Bush was hyped, and will continue to be hyped until draft day, then for the 2006 NFL season. Almost feel bad for the guy because it will be tough to live up to all the expectations.

I think Bush should have won the heisman, I just dont think it should have been the land slide victory that it was. I think VY and ML both had legitimate cases for the trophy (if you look at the body of work done in the season), but like you said, the last 2 games are everything to the voters. Even Terry Bowdens' brilliance pointed that out in one of his "gems" on yahoo. the media ran wild with bush, all but declaring him the winner 3 weeks before, which i thought was pretty lame.

Edited by Eagle1855

Hook em'

Your love fest for every other Texas school is getting old now.

Maybe it says something about what the voters think of UT's opponents.

Ohio State #4

Texas Tech #18

Maybe it says something about what the voters think of USC's opponents.

Notre Dame #5

Oregon #6

UCLA #17

The real reason Bush won the Heisman is that Vince Young is a once in a decade athlete. Reggie Bush is a once in a generation athlete. Vince Young will probably be a decent NFL quarterback. Reggie Bush will be a stellar running back, kick returner, punt returner, possibly wide receiver.

They're not in the same class...no matter how pretty the picture of a cow on the side of Vince Young's helmet.

I saw a lot of Reggie Bush out in the West and this was not a two game wonder as some of you all think. The Fresno game was one of the most unbeleivable games I have ever seen, followed by the USC vs Notre Dame tilt - 2 unbelievable games in one season!

USC is a team of destiny and the cows are about to be exposed - love it. Vince just gave them even more ammo and he probably hurt his chances at the statue next year. That type of "baby" mentality does not get forgotten in one year.

Did you see JMO crying after being left off the Doak Walker list last year? Everyone around him was, but if I recall I don't recall JMO spewing in disgust.

GO Trojans!

GMG