LaMonroe interesting blast of NT's football

OldTimer

Weatherbie is a frickin 'tard.

This is from last year's game with ASU

"Their punter is so bad, you don't know where to line up," Weatherbie said.

The thing is he had a great average but the coaches had drilled into his brain the importance of net yards over punt average and taught him to kick away from good returners, put it out of bounds, etc, whatever it took to turn the field around without giving up a good return so kicked the ball over the place against Monroe and they had basically zip in returns and got pinned inside the 20 several times.

As to thinking Weatherbie took a shot at JT, no doubt about it. According to an article that had been posted on TribalGrounds after the UNT-ULM game he apparently said that if Jamario didn't have learning disability he wouldn't be at UNT because he would have academically qualified to place some place else. (ASU fans HATE Weatherbie and we keep fairly close track of his horse arse comments).

After that same game he whined about ULM having better stats but giving the game away. Just as he made the same complaint after the last two ASU wins over them. Did I mention that ASU fans hate him. biggrin.gif

ULL is the class of LA.  LA Monroe...who needs 'em.

Monroe has some really good fans that really deserve better.

In the last two years their administration has held up a schedule change ASU needed (OU was dropping a game with us and we were able to get LSU to move a game from 2005 to 2004) until they got a $50,000 "fee" for their trouble in moving in game on "short" (ie. 7 months) notice. Then they did the same thing for UNT getting $50,000 out of the deal (at least LSU picked up the tab that time instead of UNT).

Over the years ASU has had to shift games before to help out conference mates and never charged a fee and UNT has done likewise. ULM's administration is the only one that charges to be helpful.

Same administration that was supposed to send a "secret" binding notice to the Sun Belt to declare whether they intended to join the Sun Belt for football and sent out a press release announcing their what their intention was. Any school sending in the declaration to join was obligating itself to join but it did not assure them of an invitation and since it would be secret they wouldn't be embarassed if they didn't get invited. ULM was afraid that enough intent letters would come in and they wouldn't be invited. The ULM announcement caused La.Tech to publicly announce that they would not join because if they did and ULM got left out it would be clear WHY ULM didn't get invited, that is that Tech successfully lobbied against them. So it was easier for Tech to just declare they wouldn't join and hope it fell apart. Tech publicly announcing they were out, caused Central Florida to pull out.

If ULM had kept their trap shut Central Florida likely ends up in the Belt instead of the MAC.

Wow, with all that said, there would be no SBC football if we hadn't joined. Also, if we hadn't screwed up our schedule for UNT to get a payday at LSU then we might be undefeated in conference now and we wouldn't be having to play a game with students gone and paying staff to stay over the holidays. I am all for helping out a conference mate, but in turn it may cost us the bowl game. Weatherbie makes some stupid comments sometimes, but he is a GREAT man and a very good christian.

Wow, with all that said, there would be no SBC football if we hadn't joined.  Also, if we hadn't screwed up our schedule for UNT to get a payday at LSU then we might be undefeated in conference now and we wouldn't be having to play a game with students gone and paying staff to stay over the holidays.  I am all for helping out a conference mate, but in turn it may cost us the bowl game.  Weatherbie makes some stupid comments sometimes, but he is a GREAT man and a very good christian.

With your logic - If ULM does not join the Belt would you have gone back to 1-AA? You did not do the Belt a favor, rather the Belt and ULM supported each other in this case.

ahh so its not the losing of the football games that keeps you out of a bowl game, rather it is adjusting your schedule so that NT can get paaaaiiiid!

Heres a thought, win your games and you wont have to worry about not going to the bowl. We did it for 4 straight years (and had to adjust our schedule a time or two), Im sure you guys can handle it once. biggrin.gif

Cant say I wish your team luck this weekend (with any thread of sincerity), but I do hope you guys have a good time at the game and enjoy your time in Denton!

Wow, with all that said, there would be no SBC football if we hadn't joined.  Also, if we hadn't screwed up our schedule for UNT to get a payday at LSU then we might be undefeated in conference now and we wouldn't be having to play a game with students gone and paying staff to stay over the holidays.  I am all for helping out a conference mate, but in turn it may cost us the bowl game.  Weatherbie makes some stupid comments sometimes, but he is a GREAT man and a very good christian.

I would like to personally thank the Indians for riding in on their white horses and saving the Sun Belt. Oh, and if you want to go to the bowl game, win. Don't blame your losses on the schedule.

As I said.

I like ULM fans.

But I intensely dislike numerous things that have been done over the years and they aren't the fans fault.

ULM was going to have a place in the Sun Belt because they had the friends in the league to make it happen (notably Arkansas State and Louisiana Lafayette who were totally fed up with La.Tech), but issuing the a press release announcing your "secret" decision made the process harder than it should have been and it nearly caused UNT to balk because UNT was very anti-ULM at the time.

ULM didn't make Sun Belt football happen, the ULM administration made it happen later than it should have. Then later when the NCAA hit us with new rules requiring 8 full members we were down to inviting flippin Idaho to join in all sports because ULM was trying to clean up a mess.

All that said. Cofer from all accounts has been a great hire.

That doesn't excuse forcing league members to pay for help.

As to Weatherbie, he may be a good Christian and he is getting the program on track but he is the only coach in this league that I can think of to ever insult one player, much less two on the record.

I think we are stable from what I gather. Most schools are in one of two camps. Those that would desperately like to leave but pretty much get along because it is where they are and those that are happy with the association (though they wouldn't mind a call from another a league) and figure making the place you are at better, is in their best interest.

I don't sense there is anyone would that leap at just any offer and we saw that in action with the WAC and with the Mid-Con's attempted raid of UALR, USA, and UNO.

My impression is that there are a couple of I-AA's that have made some noise about wanting to come in and that the league feels confident enough in where it is that they better have a solid plan that is funded for moving to I-A and being competitive in basketball or they will be encouraged to not apply. All the signs point to the folks believing that when the normal five year shake-up rolls along that the shakes will be minor and are unlikely to impact them (ie. Big East won't expand or will only add one school).

I can understand the feelings towards Weatherbie after the comments he made. I also think you guys are right that we just need to win and things will take care of themselves. I don't however understand you guys hate for the fans or players or our school. I don't have a problem with UNT. I always thought we had somewhat of a healthy rivalry and in fact I almost went to UNT. I have always had a good bit of respect for your program as we have had many a good games over the years.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I can understand the feelings towards Weatherbie after the comments he made.  I also think you guys are right that we just need to win and things will take care of themselves.  I don't however understand you guys hate for the fans or players or our school.  I don't have a problem with UNT. I always thought we had somewhat of a healthy rivalry and in fact I almost went to UNT.  I have always had a good bit of respect for your program as we have had many a good games over the years.

This is a bad time for trying to spread love for Northeast. My hope is that our school will finally get its act together and leave y'all in the dust.

I can understand the feelings towards Weatherbie after the comments he made.  I also think you guys are right that we just need to win and things will take care of themselves.  I don't however understand you guys hate for the fans or players or our school.  I don't have a problem with UNT. I always thought we had somewhat of a healthy rivalry and in fact I almost went to UNT.  I have always had a good bit of respect for your program as we have had many a good games over the years.

I don't think anyone has said anything derogatory about your players or fans, just Weatherbie.

Maybe we just don't want anyone who lost to an I-AA team to be conference champs...?

Ok, I see.  I guess there is no being nice with you guys.  I was honestly looking for some meaningful pregame discussion and finding you guys to tailgate some, but I see that is probably not going to happen.  mad.gif

I'm just saying that's how I feel, I'm not trying to talk trash, & I don't think anyone else is really. They just don't like some of the comments made by your coach.