Mean Green winning the SBC this year...

gangrene

This may sound like a silly topic, but I am serious. Would it benefit this program to win the SBC again and go to the NO Bowl with a 6-5 record??

I've already heard DD and numerous people on this forum comment about how we went 1-5 our first season in the SBC, and then won the conference. Well, I agree that was a great accomplishment...but do I want to repeat that every year?? HELL NO!!!

Some teams actually turn down bowl offers when they have a poor record. I don't want us to do that, but it's a bit embarrassing to be the worst team to receive a bowl invite every year.

Aside from that...it seems we are never going to get our expectations up as long as we keep squeaking our way by SBC opponents. I wonder if it would be better if we lost the remainder of our games this year...that may be the only way we'll ever see any changes. (Don't get me wrong...I'm not hoping for that.) Would everyone finally realize how seriously bad this team is if we went 2-10??? Or would we all just excuse it as having a young, inexperienced team?

If you won the Belt again this year it would be good for us, bad for the rest of the conference.

It always good to win your conference. In no way does winning the conference hurt UNT. However if UNT pulls it out/the Troy-ASU blows it, it would be a bad move for the overall conference. It makes the rest of the conference look like a bunch of schools that don't belong in D1 because they can't keep up with UNT, who can't keep up with anyone else.

Only beating the Bottom 10 teams in the country is the reason we're in the mess we're in now. The "4 Bowls, 4 Conference Championships" hide the fact our record against the rest of college football (including 1-AA) over the same coaching period is 7-41, soon to be 7-42.

The best thing I can imagine is if we win our conference as co-champions and we don't have to get blown out at the bowl game by a CUSA team.

Some school some where believes the DD BS and buys out his contract, we get a whole new coaching staff.

I will miss the draw play on 3 & 11.

I don't think I could take the DD "nobody had any faith in us, but we stuck together as a team......" speech if we do happen to win out. Winning the conference would only reinforce the fact that doing the bare minimum is good enough to win the Sunbelt every year.

There should be no way we could win it, but as goofy as this collection of teams is, you never know.

Only beating the Bottom 10 teams in the country is the reason we're in the mess we're in now.    The "4 Bowls, 4 Conference Championships"  hide the fact our record against the rest of college football (including 1-AA) over  the same coaching period is 7-41, soon to be 7-42.

Keeping DD will keep us in that mess, which is probably going to happen if we finish 4th OR 1st in the conference, so we might as well win conference and get another bowl birth. Maybe the exposure and the $$ we receive for it will nab us that one 4-star guy that can be the catalyst for a better future.

Darryl wouldn't know what to do with a good QB if he had one. All he wants to do is hand the ball off! How do we get playmakers to come to NT if all we want them to do is block? AS long as the Darryl is here, get used to boring offensive football.

This may sound like a silly topic, but I am serious.  Would it benefit this program to win the SBC again and go to the NO Bowl with a 6-5 record??

I've already heard DD and numerous people on this forum comment about how we went 1-5 our first season in the SBC, and then won the conference.  Well, I agree that was a great accomplishment...but do I want to repeat that every year?? HELL NO!!!

Some teams actually turn down bowl offers when they have a poor record.  I don't want us to do that, but it's a bit embarrassing to be the worst team to receive a bowl invite every year. 

Aside from that...it seems we are never going to get our expectations up as long as we keep squeaking our way by SBC opponents.  I wonder if it would be better if we lost the remainder of our games this year...that may be the only way we'll ever see any changes.  (Don't get me wrong...I'm not hoping for that.)  Would everyone finally realize how seriously bad this team is if we went 2-10???  Or would we all just excuse it as having a young, inexperienced team?

I could see UNT winning the Belt because you are 2-1 with two road wins, even though I think right now you may be the worse team in the Belt.

The thing that jumped out at me at the last two ASU games is how mentally frail they are. It was not so much that they won as it was that ULL and FAU lost. Apparently the same thing can be said for some others (ie MTSU).

Playing the Mean Green just seems to push all the wrong buttons for the other SBC teams.

It's not so much that Dickey doesn't know what to do with a good QB. He did good stuff with Hall and Smith.

It's just that Dickey and RF don't seem to know what to do with a rookie QB and don't want to really take risks or try new things in playcalling.

Winning the SBC will probably encourage complacency with the leadership. "Well, we won again, so it doesn't matter if we keep him," will be the gist of it. Maybe going without the title will slap the leadership awake and tell them that there are reasons why Dickey was ignored for different position while DeLoach was looked at by a variety of schools.

Not a concern.  We won't win conference.  ULM and ASU will be losses.  Possibly even FAU.

I agree...but stranger things have happened. MUTS kicked our butts up and down the field, yet we still managed to win the game.

The person I really feel bad for is Patrick Cobbs. He was a top 5 - 10 RB two years ago and may have been drafted in the NFL as high as the third round....now I think he'll be lucky if he gets drafted at all.

I also agree that one losing season isn't going to facilitate a change in the head coaching position, but it would put us one step closer. I like DD and I think he's a great guy. However, his coaching style leaves much to be desired. He only knows one style to play football and he doesn't seem to be recruiting the right players to fit his style. Heaven forbid he change or adapt his style to suit the talents of the players on the team.

If I read it correctly, if Troy wins out and we win out, Troy would be co-champs and go to the bowl. This might be the best solution, although I hardly think Troy would do much better representing the conference this year. No disrespect to Troy, but they are having much the same problem we are this year. Unless the team just lays down and quits, I think we will win the rest of the conference schedule. The team made mistakes but showed some signs of life and some offense in the second half at LaTech; I personally think it was the best half of football we have played this year. Is it a coincidence that this occured when we opened up the offense a little? I think not. Hint to OC.

If I read it correctly, if Troy wins out and we win out, Troy would be co-champs and go to the bowl.  This might be the best solution, although I hardly think Troy would do much better representing the conference this year.  No disrespect to Troy, but they are having much the same problem we are this year.  Unless the team just lays down and quits, I think we will win the rest of the conference schedule.  The team made mistakes but showed some signs of life and some offense in the second half at LaTech; I personally think it was the best half of football we have played this year.  Is it a coincidence that this occured when we opened up the offense a little?  I think not.  Hint to OC.

Depends on what happens with ULM.

ULM has already beaten Troy. If UNT were to win out and Troy wins out that would leave a 3 way tie for first (unless ULM were to lose to someone other than just UNT).

With a three way tie at 6-1 the New Orleans Bowl would pick the team. You can scratch UNT off the list after 4 appearances and a fiasco of a non-conference season. That would leave it between ULM and Troy. The committee would likely pick ULM. You have to figure they want a Louisiana school to play in the game after the fall they have had. Their dream was probably ULL-Tulane with ULM being the #2 pick from the Belt and USM the #2 CUSA followed by Houston.

Now if ULM were to lose twice and it came down between Troy and UNT then Troy goes because of the head-to-head victory.

Thanks for the clarification, ArkstFan. I meant no disrespect to ArkSt by my opinion that we would win out. In fact, if either brand of Indians hits some big plays and puts up 28 points we're dead meat. I just think we'll win out because of home field and a continually-improving defense. For pride, I don't relish seeing UNT get another thrashing on national television so I will settle for a piece of the championship and watching someone else represent us in the NOB this year. Not a bad thing.

I was told that the QB at Nebraska,  Zac Taylor,  WANTED to come HERE, but we did not recruit him. That is what someone with the football team told me.

Mabye DD doesn't really want a good QB.  blink.gif

Your source is wrong. Zac was given the full song and dance, and after it looked like he was coming here, was swept off his feet by the children of the corn.

Would it benefit this program to win the SBC again and go to the NO Bowl with a 6-5 record??

Yes. It's better to be in a bowl game at 6-5 than to be home at 6-5 or 5-6, no matter how little respect the New Orleans Bowl and Sun Belt get in Division I.

These bowl games and conference wins put North Texas on the map. People know who we are, and that's the first step towards becoming a respected mid-major like Marshall or (kills me to say this) South Florida. If prep players in DFW think of North Texas as a place where they've got a strong chance at a bowl game, that's a good thing.

------------DUMB QUESTION------------

OF COURSE IT IS BEST TO WIN THE CONFERENCE.

CAN WE???

OF COURSE!!!!!.......WHY NOT BE THE TOP DOG IN THE SBC????

WILL BEING THE BEST IN THE SBC GET US INTO A BETTER CONFERENCE????

Well, I sort of think it's a dumb question too. But if we win again, then we won't likely see any changes (and no guaranteed change if we don't) and we'll just continue with the "business as usual" routine of getting pounded by OOC opponents and squeaking by the SBC because that's what keeps DD his job.

We certainly can still win the SBC...I just don't know if that will get us the recognition many of us are seeking.