Mean Green offense vs the Belt?

FirefightnRick

I posted something about this earlier, that other Belt teams seem to be able to produce on offense, if just a little bit against the bigger teams but we never seem to be able to. Other than Baylor in '03 and Colorado in '04, our offensive strategy just doesnt' seem to get it done.

Arkansas State, 330+ yards against Oklahoma State this past weekend,

Troy, 320+ yards against Missouri

FAU, 246 yards against Minnesota

ULM, 211 yards against Georgai. I know this isn't anything to talk about, but Tulsa is no Georgia?

This in no way is a complete example of what I'm talking about. You can go back and search through the years past and see that even in blowout loses, and during some wins, that many of our Belt bretheren have been able to at least move the ball against the larger programs. But we consistently have not been able to including a crappy 129 yards against Tulsa.

Something is very wrong with this.

Thoughts?

Rick

Other than the fact that most sunbelt teams have somewhat of a passing threat and we never really have had much of one is my only logical guess, that and like many others have said..DD doesn't seem to care about OOC wins.

Our offense is protect the ball and push people around (run the ball), then use play action to pass the ball. It has worked very well against the Sunbelt teams becuase we have been more talented on the OL than they have been on defense.

Other Sunbelt teams obviously throw the ball more and doing that you will typically hit something and get some yards. Unfortunately for them, they also turn the ball over alot more.

In Sunbelt, we push them around and run the ball pretty successfully, they turn the ball over alot. We can then successfully go to play action and hit a few big pass plays. We win.

Out of Sunbelt, we can't push them around as much (or in many cases at all) and so we don't move the ball and don't score. If there is no success in running, we have no play action, and now we have no passing either. They don't turn the ball over as much and we can't stop them as well as we do against Sunbelt teams. We lose.

Our offense is protect the ball and push people around (run the ball), then use play action to pass the ball.  It has worked very well against the Sunbelt teams becuase we have been more talented on the OL than they have been on defense.

Other Sunbelt teams obviously throw the ball more and doing that you will typically hit something and get some yards.  Unfortunately for them, they also turn the ball over alot more.

In Sunbelt, we push them around and run the ball pretty successfully, they turn the ball over alot.  We can then successfully go to play action and hit a few big pass plays.  We win.

Out of Sunbelt, we can't push them around as much (or in many cases at all) and so we don't move the ball and don't score.  If there is no success in running, we have no play action, and now we have no passing either.  They don't turn the ball over as much and we can't stop them as well as we do against Sunbelt teams.  We lose.

Yeah, I think that's right on the money. I think we compound the problem by insisting on going off-tackle on most every running play. Tulsa had two very large DT's that weren't going to be moved off the line. Most good defensive teams have run-stoppers in the middle (Booger, for example).

My frustration Saturday was that PC had success getting to the corners when given the chance. He broke one for 38 yds and was real close on a couple of others. We aren't giving him enough opportunity to use his moves and quickness to make big plays.

Just to take our philosophy a step further:

We're built on the run, right? Passing to catch up in a blowout isn't exactly what this offense counts on. When other Belt teams are down, they've had their passing game a little ahead of ours at the early goings of a season to at least fling it around hoping for a score late in these OOC games.

Meanwhile, we go down 45-2 and run draws on third and long. dry.gif

Just a thought