One Year Later

Coach

It is only hours away from being exactly one year from the tragedy of losing Andrew Smith. I still think about what happend all the time, it is still heavy on my heart.

I once again will ask everyone to make the best of what happend to Andrew and learn from the mistake he never had a chance to learn from. Last fall during Red Ribbon week, I wore his jersey to school and told all my classes about him. It made an impact on the kids because it put a name and a face with the consequences of drugs and alcohol. It also showed that nobody is immune from the consequences no matter how talented or well known you are. I intend on doing the same this year as well. If it can help someone avoid a similar situation, it is the only solace I could imagine coming from the tragedy of a year ago.

Keep his family in your thoughts and prayers, this will surely be a tough time for them.

I miss Drew. Strange you posted this as I was thinking of the same thing this morning about 2:45 a.m. while working out on east Loop 820 in FW, just north of Sun Valley Dr. Watch tonights 10 oclock news or read the paper in the morning and you'll see what I'm talking about. Sickening! I don't know what it's going to take to educate folks, I just don't know what it's going to take?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Tonight at church, the pastor had on his North Texas polo shirt with the #12 on the sleeve. I wonder if that was done personally. I didn't have a chance to talk with him. It was pretty cool seeing that.

I didn't realize Tommy Nelson was a North Texas alumni. I've never had the opportunity to visit but have heard great things about Denton Bible. Maybe Denton Bible could sponsor a night with the Mean Green. Just a guess, but with the attendance that Denton Bible has, I would expect to see 5,000 to 10,000 there for the game.

I didn't realize Tommy Nelson was a North Texas alumni.  I've never had the opportunity to visit but have heard great things about Denton Bible.  Maybe Denton Bible could sponsor a night with the Mean Green.  Just a guess, but with the attendance that Denton Bible has, I would expect to see 5,000 to 10,000 there for the game.

Tom Nelson played football at North Texas as I recall and his wife's family were good friends with my ex's (Cindy for you who knew her)) family out in the Marshall/Longview area. In fact, we got a very nice and thoughtful wedding gift from Tommy's in-laws as I recall.

I remember when Denton Bible started out at the old Cumberland Presbyterian Church off Welch Street. Seems they have grown quite impressively since they left that spot.

.................................................................................................

Thank you, Coach. Could this be posted?

"It is only hours away from being exactly one year from the tragedy of losing Andrew Smith. I still think about what happend all the time, it is still heavy on my heart.

I once again will ask everyone to make the best of what happend to Andrew and learn from the mistake he never had a chance to learn from. Last fall during Red Ribbon week, I wore his jersey to school and told all my classes about him. It made an impact on the kids because it put a name and a face with the consequences of drugs and alcohol. It also showed that nobody is immune from the consequences no matter how talented or well known you are. I intend on doing the same this year as well. If it can help someone avoid a similar situation, it is the only solace I could imagine coming from the tragedy of a year ago.

Keep his family in your thoughts and prayers, this will surely be a tough time for them."

Beloved QB Will Be Remembered

Posted on Sunday 08 August @ 23:02:06

The Mean Green Nation mourns the loss of one of its heroes today. Quarterback Andrew "Drew" Smith Jr. was tragically killed in an automobile accident early Saturday morning. Smith was on his way from his hometown of Bay City, Texas to Denton for two-a-day practices, which start later this week. His truck was on Highway 6 near Calvert, Texas early Saturday when he collided with an 18-wheel tractor trailer. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Smith was just 21-years old.

Smith was an outstanding quarterback in high school leading his Bay City Black Cats to the Texas 4A State Championship in his senior year. He passed for 2,281 yards and 23 touchdowns and was selected honorable mention All-State. In 2002, as a redshirt freshman quarterback, he led the University of North Texas football team to their first bowl victory in 56 years, defeating Cincinnati 24-19 in front of a nationally televised audience.

Drew was blessed with one of the strongest arms I have ever seen. He could literally throw a frozen rope. He was also a player that could be counted on to come through in the clutch.

I will never forget the play that Drew made to seal the huge bowl victory against Cincinnati. He needed 4 yards to get the first down to ice the game late in the 4th quarter. UNT had a narrow 5-point lead and momentum was in the Bearcats favor. He ran an option play left, outran a defensive back and came up with just enough to get to the sticks. The determination on his face as he came around that corner to seal the win was inspirational to everyone associated with North Texas. He proved on that day that UNT could win a big game, and in doing so took our program to another level.

I know I was one of many fans that hugged Drew that night after the victory in New Orleans. That night was electric, and clearly the high water mark for Mean Green fans. What made it so special was that Drew was so happy and proud of the program. He didn't have unbelievable passing statistics in that game, or that season. But he did what he needed to do to win. He knew that by unselfishly doing his part, good things would happen.

His teammates remember Drew as a fierce competitor that you wanted on your side. But more than that, he was a friend, someone that you could count on when the chips were down. Although Scott Hall returned from injury to reclaim the starting QB role in 2003, Andrew never quit and did his best to push Scott and better the team. The fact that he and Scott remained so close through all of their competition speaks volumes about Drew and his character. He set a very important example for the program and his teammates by his unselfish actions.

Just prior to the accident, Drew made his way down to Bay City to spend time with his family and a younger brother who plays QB for the Black Cats. I understand that he was working with his brother after practice on improving his passing technique. He loved his family and they loved him dearly. I can't begin to think or even comprehend their sorrow. His father and mother were dedicated Mean Green fans and wonderful people that were at every game cheering on the team.

We will all miss his bright smile, infectious laughter and big heart. Rumor has it that his jersey (#12) will be retired and that the team plans on dedicating this season in his honor. This is a fitting tribute and just illustrates how special this young man was to all of us.

The collective hearts of the Mean Green Nation of fans go out to the Smith family, his friends, coaches and teammates. We will fondly remember his ability, leadership and accolades on the field of play. But his determination, work ethic and willingness to put the team before his own personal interests will remain his lasting legacy.

Comments - Post Comment

The comments are owned by the poster. We are not responsible for its content.

Threshold:Display -1 : 80 : 81 : 02 : 03 : 04 : 05 : 0 NO Comments Nested Threaded Flat Oldest First Newest First Lowest Scores First Highest Scores First

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post your memories and thoughts of Andrew here | (Score: 0)

by: on: Monday 09 August @ 10:20:09

Mean Green Nation, friends and family, feel free to post your thoughts, memories of Andrew as well as your condolences to his family here.

[ Reply ]

DallasGreen | (Score: 0)

by: on: Monday 09 August @ 10:35:17

The outpouring of support and prayers has been overwhelming on this board and especially those from other universities all across the nation. Drew may be gone, but he will always be remembered as the first NT QB to lead his team to a bowl win in 50+ years. He will always have that noteable legacy. We must each live each day one at a time as this tradgedy shows us that it could be our last. Goodbye Drew-- the Mean Green Nation will never forget you!

[ Reply ]

Eagle-96 | (Score: 0)

by: on: Monday 09 August @ 11:12:00

When I saw the news on Sunday morning my jaw dropped and I couldn\'t beleive my eyes. I had to read the headline on dallasnews.com a few times before I beleived it. My fiance cried and I felt like I was having a bad dream. Andrew stepped in as a redshirt when the odds were stacked against him, he led the Mean green to an undefeated run through conference, he led us to our first bowl win in 50 years, he held his head high when he was demoted to 2nd team, he stepped back to let Hiram take some snaps in his last game against ASU, he stuck with the team when he could have transferred. He was a fine example of taking what is given to you and making the most of it, even when what is given to you is not what you wanted. He will be missed by his family, his friends, his team, and by the entire Mean Green Nation.

GMG

[ Reply ]

My heart goes out to the Mean Green | (Score: 0)

by: on: Monday 09 August @ 11:25:31

God must have needed a quarterback.

--An Aggie Friend

[ Reply ]

Prayers | (Score: 0)

by: on: Monday 09 August @ 17:44:05

Prayers are with this family at such a tragic time. May God Bless this team also as they grieve this great loss.

Concerned LSU fan

[ Reply ]

RE:Prayers | (Score: 0)

by: on: Monday 09 August @ 23:08:04

Having learned through experience that my leadership skills are not built to quarterback or manage a team, let me say how proud I am of Andrew...this guy was a leader. When the opportunity wasn\'t there to lead on the field, he led by his actions on the sidelines.

I did not know Andrew. I admired him from the stands. Every team needs a back up quarterback. NT was fortunate to have two starters that cared deeply about the program, led when called to.

Andrew, even in death, impacts people across the country. God Bless the Smith family.

Even having lost two children myself, I can\'t pretend to understand your pain. Prayers to you and thank you for sharing your son\'s many talents with the Mean Green Nation.

Scott

Flower Mound

[ Reply ]

Thinking of the Mean Green | (Score: 0)

by: on: Thursday 12 August @ 10:36:56

Well, if I remember correctly, I had the opportunity to meet Andrew on one occasion, and was quite impressed by the young man. While my move to Jonesboro has taken me away from the day to day happenings of Mean Green football, I was greatly saddened by his death.

Thinking of the Mean Green,

Mitch Maher

[ Reply ]

A Winner All the Way | (Score: 0)

by: on: Saturday 14 August @ 17:57:33

When I first saw Andrew Smith play football, it was easy to see that he was a winner. The state championship game pitted Andrew\\\'s Bay City Blackcats versus the Ryan Raiders. I rooted hard for Ryan that day at Texas Stadium. But, one couldn\\\'t help but notice the cool customer and leader that Andrew was for Bay City in leading them to the state title. A few months later, I was ecstatic to learn that he was going to be coming to UNT.

Just a few years after leading Bay City to the state title, Andrew showed his leadership skills in leading the Mean Green through a turn around season and to the New Orleans Bowl win. Yes, Andrew was definitely a winner on the field.

Mean Green fans - we can even be prouder of all the great things we heard about Andrew\\\'s off the field character. He was a good man, a family man, and a person his teammates rallied around. He was a leader not just on the field, but also in life.

During this tough time, let\\\'s all celebrate the fact that we were lucky enough to have Andrew Smith at UNT. I liked the statement that heaven must have needed a quarterback. But, heaven also now has another winner who made an impact on many on this earth.

Thank you Andrew for dawning the Green and for making us so proud of on and off the field.

Dan Leal

[ Reply ]

Guest JohnDenver

user posted image

Wow. Time certainly flies. I remember the first home game last year ... and the strange feeling I had all day. The grim reminder or mortality and the emperical evidence of our decisions. I know I am guilty of making poor decisions -- just like Drew. I certainly can't judge. I can only learn.

I never did get one of those #12 t-shirts. But that day is printed in my mind.

Drew, this was going to be *your* year. sad.gif