Quinn at Subway

You're forgetting late signee Matt Phillips who was signed to play quarterback. Not saying that he is the answer but I believe that he has better stats than Warren. And, Washington better than either and went deeper into the playoffs.

Soooo......we haven't heard anything official yet but if Byerly can't go it appears that Meager will be healed by August 8, or thereabouts. Meager is supposed to have pretty good speed so he could also be something of a running threat also. If Meager can't go, then I'd feel more comfortable with Washington. He's extremely fast and appears to be an adequate rollout passer. That means that his height won't be as much of a disadvantage. I'd wager that our receivers are a cut above his Timberwolf group as well. Dang, I believe I'd run the Air Force offense if it were me.

Warren and Phillips both came from bi-district participants so they've got some ability. It's hard to feel really sorry for us at quarterback.

Washington, who set school records for rushing yards and total yards in a single-season, chose the Mean Green over Tarleton State, Angelo State, SMU, Rice and Texas State.

He was offered a "ship" at Rice?

Hmmmm, I'm just guessing here, but I don't think we should have any eligibility concerns with this young man.

You're forgetting late signee Matt Phillips who was signed to play quarterback.  Not saying that he is the answer but I believe that he has better stats than Warren.  And, Washington better than either and went deeper into the playoffs.

Soooo......we haven't heard anything official yet but if Byerly can't go it appears that Meager will be healed by August 8, or thereabouts.  Meager is supposed to have pretty good speed so he could also be something of a running threat also.  If Meager can't go, then I'd feel more comfortable with Washington.  He's extremely fast and appears to be an adequate rollout passer.  That means that his height won't be as much of a disadvantage.  I'd wager that our receivers are a cut above his Timberwolf group as well.  Dang, I believe I'd run the Air Force offense if it were me. 

Warren and Phillips both came from bi-district participants so they've got some ability.  It's hard to feel really sorry for us at quarterback.

I am not sure Scott Hall was as tall as listed, and for sure we all know he didn't run a 4.4 forty as Korey Washington does; but Scott has been a special player in the history of Mean Green football and played a huge part in helping resurrect this program. He did play in 3 bowl games as I recall. He will be in the NT Athletic Hall of Fame soon IMO.

I agree, Jack, it should really be hard for us to feel sorry about ourselves at QB, especially with our offense which depends moreso on who your RB's are. You, I and others on this board have been around the Mean Green scene when there was absolutely no talent at QB, so today we look QB rich compared to those days.

If we have plans to take the RS off of Korey Washington this Fall if I were Dickey, I would put in a few wishbone formation plays. Talk about something that could confuse some defenses out there. rolleyes.gif

And now you have a QB that runs a 4.4?!?!?smile.gif

Passing can be a developed talent as that was the case with even Byerly. Yet one or two of you have told me a healthy Meager would be hard to put on the bench. I am sorry if Byerly is inelgible and wonder how one who was awarded a starting QB role could have ever let himself get in that predicament.

To say the least, we have a most intriguing season ahead. One that could really be fun for us spectators as we watch some of these kids develop.

I still say we will have the best team in the Sun Belt toward season's end, but the first part of the season concerns me a bit now (as I know it does many of you).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

We all know that we don't need a real QB to run this system...just a good athlete and a good leader. If you can hit the wide open man on a roll out about 10 times a game, you can pass well enough for this offense. Surely Washington could do that!

I say we go with Washington (I like the sound of the 4.4 40) and have so much speed behind the line that it makes defenses heads' spin. Can you imagine the fakes and roll outs...the sheer speed to get to the corner that we would have in that offense? It boggles the mind. To have three ligitimate threats in the backfield...in which each one could take it to the house at any given moment must make DD salivate. I can think of a lot that he could do with that offense.

We all know that we don't need a real QB to run this system...just a good athlete and a good leader. If you can hit the wide open man on a roll out about 10 times a game, you can pass well enough for this offense. Surely Washington could do that!

I say we go with Washington (I like the sound of the 4.4 40) and have so much speed behind the line that it makes defenses heads' spin. Can you imagine the fakes and roll outs...the sheer speed to get to the corner that we would have in that offense? It boggles the mind. To have three ligitimate threats in the backfield...in which each one could take it to the house at any given moment must make DD salivate. I can think of a lot that he could do with that offense.

Ditto! smile.gif

And throw a few wishbone plays in there to boot! rolleyes.gif Minnie-miney-minnie-moe-which of our 3 speedsters gets the ball! laugh.gif

A most interesting Fall ahead to say the least.

Seriously yall are all jumping the gun a little early dont you think? Lets just say that Byerly is not with us next year, so who does that leave us with. DANIEL MEAGER!!! He will be fine by the time camp opens up, he has already been working out with the team durning summer workouts. And for those of you so high on Washington because of his speed, you forget a few things. Meager has amazing speed also, I think he runs around a 4.6. As a junior he was an Elite 11 nominee, he was being looked at by schools such as Va. Tech, and Cal just to name a few, was one of the top 5 qbs in TX., and has been in our system for a year already. So lets all take a step off the Korey Washington for qb bandwagon and step back into reality for a second.

If we have plans to take the RS off of Korey Washington this Fall if I were Dickey, I would put in a few wishbone formation plays.  Talk about something that could confuse some defenses out there. rolleyes.gif 

And now you have a QB that runs a 4.4?!?!?smile.gif

I knew that idea was going to come up in this thread sooner or later.

If we don't want defenses to load the box and prevent the run, we'd better come up with more creative offensive schemes than the wishbone or the option. Until opposing defenses respect the pass, they won't have much of a problem focusing on the run. We'll have that problem no matter who starts at QB because he will be a virtual unknown. Hell, we even had this problem, to a certain degree, with Scott Hall last year.

Washington's speed could be beneficial in QB draws as well but, once again, the respect for the pass has to exist.

If it is true that Byerly is ineligible, I am extremely disappointed because I was looking forward to seeing what he could do on the field. However, I don't think he's head and shoulders (figuratively, because he is literally) above the rest of the QBs. I definitely feel that we have viable options to be successful this year, but someone's going to have to get the ball to Johnny and Zach every now and then.

Seriously yall are all jumping the gun a little early dont you think?  Lets just say that Byerly is not with us next year, so who does that leave us with.  DANIEL MEAGER!!!  He will be fine by the time camp opens up, he has already been working out with the team durning summer workouts. And for those of you so high on Washington because of his speed, you forget a few things.  Meager has amazing speed also, I think he runs around a 4.6.  As a junior he was an Elite 11 nominee, he was being looked at by schools such as Va. Tech, and Cal just to name a few, was one of the top 5 qbs in TX., and has been in our system for a year already.  So lets all take a step off the Korey Washington for qb bandwagon and step back into reality for a second.

H-towngreen, I think we are all mostly just speculating with all this on Korey Washington.

I think we all feel Dan Meager would be next in line if Byerly is not elgible (and would IMHO have given Byerly a run for the starting job this Fall as it is).

I do think we will need a #2 QB behind Dan Meager, though, and that is probably where Korey Washington comes into all this discussion. I think NT needs to have 2 QB's who are both ready to play no matter what the scenario is.

** Concerning the Wishbone offense and passing: One of the most exciting pass plays many of us have seen in a college football game was when UT QB James Street hit Longhorn receiver Randy Peschel (?) on a long pass play that set up a Longhorn TD that beat the Razorbacks for a NCAA National Championship (as I recall).

There can be a real nice passing game from the Wishbone offense. Now do I think Coach Dickey installs the wishbone on even just a few plays this Fall: No. rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Again, last time we had a QB thrown into the fire, we had someone (a freshmen, matter of fact) take us to a bowl game that we actually won and that QB did not have near the backfield that this Fall's starting NT QB will have. 

That year we had a good backfield (Galbreath and Cobbs) and a top 10 defense.........and we started the season 1-5. Somehow that doesn't restore my confidence going into this season.

Other thoughts/opinions/BS:

-I'm not completely convinced on the Byerly rumors, but I'm not ordering a #5 jersey just yet either. I think that if he is eligible, he will be the starter.

-Meager might be as good a runner as Byerly (I think his listed 40 speed is better), but I wouldn't look for a guy with his injury history to be running the ball too much with Jamario and Patrick around. Plus, if he gets hurt AGAIN, we're back to Mills, Kellen Haynes (seems like he had some good moments in the spring game, or one of the Freshmen.

-Even after our disastrous offseason last year, and the horrid first few games of the season that it brought about, some of you guys are STILL putting on the green-tinted goggles. If we are without Byerly, it is not good. Sure, the high school stats and the scouting reports on our new guys are great, but that doesn't mean much come game time.

Byerly may not be Vince Young, but at least he's played a few downs in college, got a bunch of reps in the spring, and won't break in half the first time he gets hit.

Byerly may not be Vince Young, but at least he's played a few downs in college, got a bunch of reps in the spring, and won't break in half the first time he gets hit.

I think that is the biggest asset Byerly has/had going for him...he's a load to bring down. In the only game I've seen him play (the 65-0 drubbing at UT), the defense had a hard time tackling him and he slipped out of a sure sack once or twice.

I don't recall seeing him in the open field, but I'd bet he'd be a scary sight to some poor SBC secondaries. I certainly wasn't worried about him getting hurt in the OOC schedule like Scott Hall did two years ago.

I, too, am worried about Byerly or any other inexperienced QB this team has to start. A QB can make or break any game with his decision making ability. A little pressure and a hurried throw can result in an interception for a TD and can totally change the game strategy in a matter of a few seconds. I know I am thinking way ahead right now, but any opposing D coordinator would be crazy not to key on the run and force the inexperienced QB to beat you.