NT Collegiate License Plate UPDATE

I went in to pick up the new plates for the GREENBACKERS MEAN GREEN SMOKE PIT this morning and asked the woman at the counter if she had any way of finding out when/if/what the new U of North Texas collegiate plates would look like. She said "yes, I have the latest updated book right here". I told her about the new logos that came out in April and all. While looking through the book she showed me the new Baylor and UTEP plates. After not finding anything and looking puzzled she excused herself to go back to her supervisors office to call Austin. After about 10 minutes she came back and said: "They are telling me that as far as they know there is not going to be any new North Texas plate", she then said " for now you will have to order the current one". She then gave me this information to call to keep checking:

512-374-5010, push option #4 and speak to someone at that office.

How flipping typical is this? And while I'm asking questions, where in hell is that branding kickoff that was to happen this summmer that they announced at the debut in April? The 4th of July is in 3 days, someone call Lee Jackson over at the Country Club and get some answers!

I don't know why I'm suprised?

Rick

Why would any of us be so surprised about this? Seems like we should have done more pre-planning before we had the official unveiling of all this branding business.

I am still curious to see if our Mean Green football team's new green is anywhere close to the Green Brigade marching band uniforms new green. I hope we are all pleasantly surprised on that.

Still.......really much more good than negative going on in Mean Green Country and one only has to look out at those 200 acres of prime interstate real estate located between the 2 Texas interstates adjacent to our campus to remind one's self of that. cool.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I emailed TXDOT about 4 weeks ago. They told me that the university had sent in the paper work to have the tags changed. They did not  know when the change would take place.

UNT is going to release license plate wordmarks for fans to vote on first, then hire a consultant, then do a study, then form a committee, then ask L. J. what he wants. I figure about 2009 we'll see it. <_<

I emailed TXDOT about 4 weeks ago. They told me that the university had sent in the paper work to have the tags changed. They did not know when the change would take place.

Regardless, it's not going to happen this summer as promised back on April 27th. By the way, just got the new North Texan and they were sucked into believing the summer kickoff campaign was going to occur too with coverage of the new Branding within this issue throughout.

Also, to those employees on campus who are working very hard for us trying their best. I didn't take the time to say back in April that we all understand your plight and realize the boundaries you have to work within. I can only imagine the frustrations you have gone through. Thank you for your efforts and don't pull all your hair out in one season.

Rick

Aside from the plates not being updated for the new logo, thought you all might be interested in this article regarding collegiate plates I found on Killerfrogs.com. Looks like our plates will continue to be available for now, but we need more people to order them...............SUPRISE, SURPRISE!

State puts brakes on college plates

07:05 AM CDT on Tuesday, June 28, 2005

By TONY HARTZEL / The Dallas Morning News

Many Texas colleges and universities simply don't make the grade when it comes to specialty alumni license plates.

Dwindling support for the program at some colleges and universities has led the Texas Department of Transportation to phase out 24 of the 49 higher education specialty plates.

Texas Woman's University will be gone. So will be the University of Texas at Dallas. And the one person each who currently sports Brookhaven College or Richland College license plates should be prepared to turn them in at their mandatory replacement age.

"We haven't heard from the universities yet," said Christina Flores of the Transportation Department's vehicle titles and registration division. "We may be hearing from some alumni soon."

Specialty plates, which tout and support things like universities, organizations and veterans with special logos directly on them, have taken off. In May, more than 356,000 of almost 19 million Texas vehicles had some type of specialty license tag, up from 342,000 a year earlier.

Statewide in May, 16,647 cars and trucks sported collegiate plates. They and most other plates require an annual fee of $30, generally with $8 going to defray production costs and $22 going toward programs associated with the plate's theme.

Faced with $15,000 in production costs for every new plate issued, the Legislature passed a law several years ago that established criteria for eliminating many low-performing plates. And though stricter criteria went into effect in September, the state is now beginning to look at the plates issue.

According to the state transportation code, specialty plates should be allowed only if:

•3,500 sets of plates have been issued during the plate's life span;

•the Transportation Department has made $15,000 from the issuance of the license plates;

•a university or other sponsoring group deposits $15,000 to start a new plate, keep existing plates available or restart a plate in the future. That money would be returned once the minimum number of plates, including annual renewals, had been issued.

The rules, which the agency is not required to enforce, eventually could affect other plates, such as the United States Olympic Committee plates (195 in use statewide). The state has no plans to discontinue any noncollegiate plates, said David Pyndus, a spokesman for the vehicle titles and registration division.

For universities, the $15,000 requirement is the same, but the threshold for plates issued during its lifetime was lowered to 1,500 sets.

"Quite a few of the smaller colleges and universities didn't even come close," Mr. Pyndus said.

It wasn't a difficult decision to eliminate the program at TWU, where 78 university supporters have a specialty license plate.

"It just wasn't economically feasible," said university spokeswoman Amanda Simpson. "There wasn't enough demand to warrant the cost. We're a public university, and our No. 1 priority is to our students."

On the opposite end of the spectrum stands Texas A&M University, which outpaces all other colleges and universities in specialty plate registrations. With 6,346 plates in May, Aggie pride easily outdistanced its closest license plate competitor, the University of Texas, which has 3,121 plates. Taking the bronze medal in the competition is Texas Tech University, with 2,764 registrations.

Texas Christian University (472) has the most specialty plates of any North Texas school, and the University of North Texas (320) draws the second-highest local support.

Although the bumper-based measure of school pride is sure to warm the hearts of Aggies everywhere and frustrate Longhorn supporters, the money raised goes to a good cause. This year, the plate helped raise enough for $156,000 in need-based scholarships, said Mike Huddleston, the university's executive director for contract administration.

"We're very thankful for the program, and we're very proud of the success we've had with it," he said, adding that it does give College Station a certain measure of bragging rights. "That's always fun. This is the friendly part of the rivalry."

A&M doesn't do much special with its license plate programs, placing brochures at spots including the university visitors' center and the parking garages.

"Most of it is the camaraderie our students feel to each other," Mr. Huddleston said. "They like to be associated with the university, and they like to show pride."

E-mail thartzel@dallasnews.com

PHASING OUT

Universities whose license plates are being phased out by the Texas Department of Transportation, and the number of vehicles registered with those plates in May:

St. Mary's University – 101

Texas Woman's University – 78

Tarleton State University – 61

Lamar University – 39

Abilene Christian University – 36

Texas Lutheran University – 36

University of Texas at San Antonio – 32

University of Texas at Dallas – 30

Texas A&M University-Kingsville – 23

Midwestern State University – 22

Texas Wesleyan University – 22

Howard Payne University – 21

Houston Baptist University – 18

McMurry University – 18

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi – 16

Incarnate Word College – 15

University of Texas at Brownsville – 12

Huston-Tillotson University – 10

East Texas Baptist University – 8

Texas Chiropractic College – 7

North Central Texas College – 4

Brookhaven College – 1

Richland College – 1

Parker College of Chiropractic – 0

PLATES IN

1. Texas A&M, 6,346

2. University of Texas, 3,121

3. Texas Tech, 2,764

4. University of Houston, 571

5. Texas Christian, 472

6. Baylor, 446

7. University of North Texas, 320

8. Rice, 269

9. Prairie View A&M, 253

10. Texas State, 228

It's time the alumni start holding the administration accountable for their [in-]actions. I can't imagine getting to keep your job while doing nothing but make empty promises. mad.gif <_< mad.gif <_

Don't you guys have anything better to do than complain about not having the new UNT logo on the license plates, or is this just another excuse to take shots at the administration. It obviously takes time to change the logo on the plates......And of all of you that are here complainiing, how many actually have UNT plates?

Don't you guys have anything better to do than complain about not having the new UNT logo on the license plates, or is this just another excuse to take shots at the administration. It obviously takes time to change the logo on the plates......And of all of you that are here complainiing, how many actually have UNT plates?

That's the point!

We have more than 40,000 alum in the state and we only have 320 people who are willing to shell out an additional $30 for a NT plate.

No wonder we can't find NT merchandise anywhere!

0.008 percent saturation. Boy if I was a manufacturer, I'd be beating down the door to produce something with that type of market penetration.

I'm tired of complaining. I guess I just should face the fact that our administation, alumni and fan base are second tier, at best.

Oh well!!!

That's the point!

We have more than 40,000 alum in the state and we only have 320 people who are willing to shell out an additional $30 for a NT plate.

No wonder we can't find NT merchandise anywhere!

0.008 percent saturation. Boy if I was a manufacturer, I'd be beating down the door to produce something with that type of market penetration.

I'm tired of complaining. I guess I just should face the fact that our administation, alumni and fan base are second tier, at best.

Oh well!!!

GreenBat, NT has close to 100,000 (give or take) NT Exes living in the 6 county Metroplex alone according to campus officials awhile back.

My bad!!! I hard the number 40,000 somewhere! But 100,000 in the six county Metroplex make's it even more embarrassing. That's a 0.0032 percent market penetration.

That is embarrassing!!!!

My bad!!! I hard the number 40,000 somewhere! But 100,000 in the six county Metroplex make's it even more embarrassing. That's a  0.0032 percent market penetration.

That is embarrassing!!!!

I don't think NT has really ever put an intense blitz on this NT Texas license plate project except I think I recall something about it in the NORTH TEXAN alumnus magazine a few years ago. (BTW, I received that magazine at my Post Office near the UNT Health Science Center just this morning).

On our alumnus numbers, I don't think officials on our campus even know how many living alums we have since we didn't start keeping such records until (believe this or not) the early 1970's blink.gif

For the last 10 years, though, if we count how many annual NT graduates we have and multiply that number by 10, it will give us a pretty big clue of just how many alums we have produced in that 10 year period of time.

We have a helluva' whole bunch of alums is what I think we could all agree. cool.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

• 1 month later...

I don't think NT has really ever put an intense blitz on this NT Texas license plate project except I think I recall something about it in the NORTH TEXAN alumnus magazine a few years ago.

It was called "Eagle Pride" scholarship that the license plate sales funded; I actually received one of those scholarships back then. Whoever bought plates back then, I appreciate it. When the new plates come out, I will buy one myself and "pass it on"

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I've waited over 6 years for something that doesn't have the Blue and Orange UNT on it.  Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer.  Baylor and UTEP got theirs out in less than 4 months, not sure what the hold up is for ours?

It's because someone over at the administration doesn't think this kind of thing is important. That manifests itself in either (1) they don't want to bother with it, or (2) the people who are directly responsible for it don't know what to do, and again that is because the people who hired them didn't think it was important enough to get someone who knows what to do.

Edited by Aquila_Viridis

I don't think it's bad if you don't get your college plates in TX.

I wouldn't get an SMU one (if I was living in tX), and I love my alma mater and will support them no matter what.

You can't see the logo on y'alls plates in TX for the colleges unless your riding the person in front of you's @$$. The SMU one has a tiny red mustang and then in block lettering underneath it says Southern Methodist University.

Y'all should make plates like the Florida schools do. Those are "collegiate" license plates. You could make a UNT license plate by just buying a sticker-decal from your bookstore and just slapping it on the left-side of your license plate #. The decale sticker would probably show up better anyways.

---Texas recently withdrew the offer for several colleges due to lack of "sales" or interest. Interesting to note on the professional list there isn't one for the Spurs (NBA Champs) or Rockets and no baseball ones for Astros or Rangers.

--and yes I have a UNT one.

Stang----I realize you aren't really a native Texan but putting anything extra on a license plate is considered illegal (especially if it is something to alter a "number"). I do see a few small longhorn stickers on them but if you get stopped you can are likely to get ticketed.... besides it provides another excuse for them to stop you.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Stang----I realize you aren't really a  native Texan but putting anything extra on a license plate is considered illegal (especially if it is something to alter a "number").  I do see a few small longhorn stickers on them but if you get stopped you can are likely to get ticketed.... besides it provides another excuse for them to stop you.

Sorry, I meant that if you DID put a sticker on it -- it would look the same as the license plates that they already make. Sorry for the confusion, I worded that

poorly.

If you look at other states, they whole license plate incorporate the school's colors and has a larger logo. More people have those, too. I think you'd get the same response if you did that in TX.

Ahh but didnt you notice in your years of going to school in Texas that this is how we drive?

Haha ... So true. I remember having to pick up some dry cleaning, I think picking up my suit before a formal, and having to take it somewhere in (y)Up(pie)town.

Some "$30k/year millionaire" 20-something Dallasite guy was tailgating me in his little Jaguar-coupe acting all impatient. God forbid I only go 5-7 mph over the speed limit in Dallas on a regular street. I wanted to break so bad, and just see how little damage his little import could do to my American Chevy 'Hoe. I could probably replace my engine for what it would've cost him to readjust his bumper. But I decided it was best to just find it slightly annoying to be followed like that, than it would've been had I had to actually make conversation with him if I'd let him run into me.

If there's no way to pass, I don't understand the concept of trying to push the person in front of you by tailgating. Especially if the person is driving the speed limit or slightly above. And sometimes on the highway, they'd tailgate you even if they could get around. I never could figure out Dallas-driving etiquette, but I think it's impossible to figure it out b/c the drivers in Big D clearly have none.

laugh.gif It's all those Yankees from up north who've ruined the driving. If you visit some of the smaller, less Yankee-fied towns, you'll find the folks are much more friendly, and much more likely to be going 10-15 miles BELOW the speed limit.