Zook vs. DD

shaft

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a Dickey basher, but I would take Ron Zook over him. I live in St. Augustine, Florida, and hear about Gators football all day long. Zook was an average SEC coach, one of the best recruiters in I-A, and a tireless advocate for the program.

Zook would immediately be the biggest name in the Sun Belt and draw a lot of national attention to the program. He recruited more Parade All-Americans than Spurrier did at Florida. Obviously, he wouldn't have that kind of success at UNT, but I believe he could outrecruit the rest of the Belt.

As a public face for your program, Zook would completely outclass Dickey. Zook was all over the place here, speaking to alumni groups and the sports media.

Though he was at best an average in-game coach and coordinator in the SEC, with a penchant for losing games in the fourth quarter, I think average coaching in that conference would probably be above average in the Belt.

You know, Zook probably wouldn't come here or Neuhausal for that matter, but the point is that unless we make some changes, this team will never move on...we will just keep winning the Belt in most years and continue to lose OOC games. Does it not hack you guys off that everytime these confereces expand, UNT is always left out? Does it not hack you guys off that teams like Boise St, UTEP and TCU are better than us? I appreciate what DD has done. He was a great coach to bring us to where we are now, but it time to move on if we expect to move up. Besides, I am not a huge fan of the way DD treats our university.

The difference between Boise, TCU, and us is that they have been winning for more than just the past three years. And Boise is still in the WAC, which wasn't even good enough for us. So much for that argument, huh? laugh.gif

The difference between Boise, TCU, and us is that they have been winning for more than just the past three years. And Boise is still in the WAC, which wasn't even good enough for us. So much for that argument, huh?  laugh.gif

Keep in mind though, that Hawaii, Nevada, and BSU (sorry, thats just funny) will be jumping ship at the first chance.

"Zook would immediately be the biggest name in the Sun Belt and draw a lot of national attention to the program. He recruited more Parade All-Americans than Spurrier did at Florida. Obviously, he wouldn't have that kind of success at UNT, but I believe he could outrecruit the rest of the Belt."

I think we're already outrecruiting the rest of the belt.

That was pure STUPIDness on our part if that is true.

Please explain how it is stupid.

Is it because we want to keep down travel costs.

Is it because we want to play against teams from Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc... instead of Hawaii, California, Nevada

Is it because the WAC will fall apart when San Jose and Idaho drop to 1-AA

Is it because the WAC will fail when Fresno and Boise jump to a better conference.

GMG!!!

Beat LaMo!!!

You just answered your own question. We want to keep down travel costs. The teams we would play in the WAC are the same, for the most part, that we played in the big West. Remember how much our program was struggling? Those schools will probably drop to 1-AA. Nevada, Boise, Fresno, and Hawaii ahve all pretty much said that they want to go. That will leave maybe 3 schools left. NMSU, LA Tech, and maybe one or two more. Where do you think they will go? The SBC. Look at it this way too, to join the WAC, we would have to pay, then when the WAC folds, we will have to pay AGAIN to rejoin the SBC. Do you think WW would let us rejoin for a decent price, or do you think he would up the price knowing that we made a bad decision and left, and there is no other place for us to go? The SBC is gaining momentum, the WAC is not.