Florida Atlantic (3/15/24)

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

I thought for sure, slugging it out night after night with FAU, we could get at least one to swing in our favor.  But they kept coming out on top.

Frustrating to never get over that hump.  Not once in two seasons/5 tries.

I think Dusty is a top name at Ohio State Louisville, right? He'll be gone, Davis will leave with him (maybe go somewhere else, though), and I won't miss them.

Or Michigan.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

We need defensive minded guards. If Ross is going to be our dude, then defensive minded guards are a must. We also HAVE TO GET BACK TO MCCASLAND PACE OF PLAY. We played faster on offense this year and sucked worse. Slap the floor, bow your neck, whip ya dick out, and DEFEND. That's the bread and butter of this program. I'll high five you over a step back 3, but I'll fall in love with you over smothering, suffocating defense. 

You do realize we were in the top 5 in scoring defense most of the season?

Where was Tech?

Only one consistent.

13 hours ago, L Ron Studdard said:

We were the third-slowest team in the nation.

And top 5 most of the season.

13 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don't see it. Guy is a defensive nightmare and turnover prone as the 1, and too small to be the 2 at a major. But if he goes I absolutely do not wish him well. I wish him defeat. 

See my other thread where you have downed JE. As a Sophmore who came from JUCO, I think his progress is actually very promising. College is not only about learning from books....

12 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Yet, NT was much more effective when they were much slower under McCasland

This is more related to the players than the system.

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

We have an All-AAC 1st teamer that decides with < 10 seconds left, when we are down 6+, that he wants to drive for layups.

So there's that. 😢

I think he needs to learn from this. I agree, I was telling @Big Z we needed to take 3s and we took 1 in that last stretch and when we did drive we would turn it over.

12 hours ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

I think they wanted the guy to be Aaron and that may have been why he stayed but that’s not his game.  He is a great complementary player but not Tyler perry.

The Aaron ISO was used entirely too many times down the stretch. I THINK Hodge was trying to get him deep so it would free up 3 pt shooters when they brought the help, but it didn't work out.

12 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Sort of a wishy washy comment. They are generally better than us across the board. Davis exceintuated that, bit they were often better across the board. 

I think you need to watch the game again. This game went back and forth and we had the lead for some of the 2nd half also. It literally came down to the last 2 mins. If you would say that they are a better closing team than us, I would 100% agree.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

You do realize we were in the top 5 in scoring defense most of the season?

Where was Tech?

Only one consistent.

And top 5 most of the season.

See my other thread where you have downed JE. As a Sophmore who came from JUCO, I think his progress is actually very promising. College is not only about learning from books....

This is more related to the players than the system.

I think he needs to learn from this. I agree, I was telling @Big Z we needed to take 3s and we took 1 in that last stretch and when we did drive we would turn it over.

The Aaron ISO was used entirely too many times down the stretch. I THINK Hodge was trying to get him deep so it would free up 3 pt shooters when they brought the help, but it didn't work out.

I think you need to watch the game again. This game went back and forth and we had the lead for some of the 2nd half also. It literally came down to the last 2 mins. If you would say that they are a better closing team than us, I would 100% agree.

Edwards is clearly a very good basketball player and dynamic scorer, but if we’re building next season’s roster around him as the clear #1 I think we’re still a middle-of-the-pack AAC team. 

if instead he is our sixth man (as I think was always Hodge’s intention) and our second-third leading scorer I think were in a title hunt (assuming some roster continuity)

give me JE averaging 12-15pts on around 10 shots a night than 20ppg on 15-20 (or 22 like last night)

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Edwards is clearly a very good basketball player and dynamic scorer, but if we’re building next season’s roster around him as the clear #1 I think we’re still a middle-of-the-pack AAC team. 

if instead he is our sixth man (as I think was always Hodge’s intention) and our second-third leading scorer I think were in a title hunt (assuming some roster continuity)

give me JE averaging 12-15pts on around 10 shots a night than 20ppg on 15-20 (or 22 like last night)

Agree. Too many nights Edwards is a volume shooter to get his points. Look at the box from last night. Edwards 8-22 to get his 26 vs Davis 8-11 to get his 18. Then Goldin 7-12 for his 21. Scoring efficiency matters in these really close games against good teams. We wasted lots of good looks/possessions throughout this season - including last night.

He would be incredible in the scoring firepower off the bench as a 6th man. He probably doesn’t want that role though, which I also understand.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

This makes a ton of sense to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, UNT Family Man said:

Or Michigan.

For sure! Read last night about the Michigan opening.  And, Dusty May had a stint at Eastern Michigan FWIW.

I think most likely destinations are Ohio State/Louisville, with Michigan a distant third.

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Yes, I wasn't trying to advocate he be the leader. I mentioned to @Big Z a ton of times where I thought him and TP as a duo would be top of the conference.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

For sure! Read last night about the Michigan opening.  And, Dusty May had a stint at Eastern Michigan FWIW.

I think most likely destinations are Ohio State/Louisville, with Michigan a distant third.

Out of curiosity and my laziness, did any schools try and money whip him last season?

If they did and he didn't leave, and with Davis and Goldin being Jr's, it seems very likely (depending on NCAA run) he turns down any opportunity.

• Upvote 1

Layne Taylor will be the best pure point guard/play maker on the team. He's also a very good shooter. My only question is does he have the quickness necessary at the next level. Seemed to struggle against bigger and faster guys. Defense is adequate. Certainly a rotation guy from day 1. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Cooley said:

Layne Taylor will be the best pure point guard/play maker on the team. He's also a very good shooter. My only question is does he have the quickness necessary at the next level. Seemed to struggle against bigger and faster guys. Defense is adequate. Certainly a rotation guy from day 1. 

I was pondering this last night, if Taylor would be a great compliment to RJ and Scott (assuming RJ comes back, which I don't know).

Appreciate any insight on Taylor.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

He would be incredible in the scoring firepower off the bench as a 6th man. He probably doesn’t want that role though, which I also understand.

It makes no sense for a point producer, or top rebounder etc to come off the bench.  Why limit their minutes or allow the opponent to get early leads because our best players are sitting?  You will never convince me Tylor Perry was better off the bench only available 35 minutes instead of 40.  He's not starting on the bench at KSU.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

20 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

CJ is the key to everything next year. Hope Rubin wants to stick around,  figure Scott will see out his career here and Walker has no more transfers.

Everyone else is replaceable. 

CJ should be a lock starter next season. If Rubin and Aaron stay, I see 2 starting spots that need to be filled this offseason. I’d like to see a PF and C brought in so Aaron could play his natural position of SF. Jason and Dello off the bench. The framework is there but we’ll see. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NT80 said:

It makes no sense for a point producer, or top rebounder etc to come off the bench.  Why limit their minutes or allow the opponent to get early leads because our best players are sitting?  You will never convince me Tylor Perry was better off the bench only available 35 minutes instead of 40.  He's not starting on the bench at KSU.

the entire history of basketball

@NT80, “nah”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Cooley said:

Have you had a chance to see Mason play?

Can he contribute early (next year)?

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Out of curiosity and my laziness, did any schools try and money whip him last season?

If they did and he didn't leave, and with Davis and Goldin being Jr's, it seems very likely (depending on NCAA run) he turns down any opportunity.

Davis is a lock to play in NBA but maybe also Goldin

20 hours ago, Cooley said:

From what I’ve read, he definitely has a nice skill set and a winning pedigree. But, I’m a little concerned about the size. Sub 6’. Maybe Hodge will utilize an offense to effectively showcase his skills instead of just throwing the ball to Aaron down low to operate or going iso. 

46 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

From what I’ve read, he definitely has a nice skill set and a winning pedigree. But, I’m a little concerned about the size. Sub 6’. Maybe Hodge will utilize an offense to effectively showcase his skills instead of just throwing the ball to Aaron down low to operate or going iso. 

If someone wants some homework, I’d like to see what the stats are behind the Aaron iso back down for 15 seconds of the shot clock. I can’t imagine it was successful more than 20% of the time. 

5 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

If someone wants some homework, I’d like to see what the stats are behind the Aaron iso back down for 15 seconds of the shot clock. I can’t imagine it was successful more than 20% of the time. 

As much as I hated it too, it still seemed to be our most consistent post scoring threat.

Since we have to replace Robert Allen this offseason, not only do I want to find a big man in the portal who is used to scoring, but I'd love to find an assistant coach who was a big man in the NBA, or even just D-I in the past who can work on our guys' post moves. If we can have reasonable threats inside from our bigs, that'll open up our good shooters even more.