Band?

15 minutes ago, Ibleedgreen said:

I’m not hearing the basketball band this year. Are they there? Are they playing less this season? Is it the telecast?

The sound quality of the telecast is poor on my end. Got to really turn up the volume to hear the announcers, then get blown out by commercials. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Ibleedgreen said:

I’m not hearing the basketball band this year. Are they there? Are they playing less this season? Is it the telecast?

There are about 40 of them…. They can only play at certain times so it’s mostly the DJ like at most arenas. Which is still fine. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

UNT has one. There were over 40 members at the game. My coworkers husband who is a higher up in the universities music program was playing in today….

Then I miss them actually being used.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Then I miss them actually being used.  

When I was younger they were positioned over the tunnel (where the DJ is now) and we’re able to play all the time. Same tunes over and over but I loved the team entering to Fly Like and Eagle. Now I guess it’s our fight song. Somebody (I’m assuming who was/is in the band) posted this and my friends husband said the same….. but there are only select times the band is allowed to play versus the DJ and speaker system. Granted I cannot find this “rule” mentioned by the NCAA anywhere but that’s what they have said. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

When I was younger they were positioned over the tunnel (where the DJ is now) and we’re able to play all the time. Same tunes over and over but I loved the team entering to Fly Like and Eagle. Now I guess it’s our fight song. Somebody (I’m assuming who was/is in the band) posted this and my friends husband said the same….. but there are only select times the band is allowed to play versus the DJ and speaker system. Granted I cannot find this “rule” mentioned by the NCAA anywhere but that’s what they have said. 

I'm not criticizing our band.  I feel like just about all of them are less visible/audible than they used to be and I miss it.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I'm not criticizing our band.  I feel like just about all of them are less visible/audible than they used to be and I miss it.

It may be due to the changing of the rules though. Write the NCAA 😕 

I miss the old pep band days as well. Granted the UNT DJ is pretty good too. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CMJ said:

Maybe it's because they can be drowned out easier because of the Maniacs, unlike my days as a student during Benford, but it seems like they used to talk more (and better) shit to the opponents back then.

But at least they weren't robbed of their seats and shoved in the tunnel like UTA's band..PXL_20240223_012824095.thumb.jpg.81364b086252c2815cb55f1e714c76ca.jpg

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Maybe it's because they can be drowned out easier because of the Maniacs, unlike my days as a student during Benford, but it seems like they used to talk more (and better) shit to the opponents back then.

But at least they weren't robbed of their seats and shoved in the tunnel like UTA's band..PXL_20240223_012824095.thumb.jpg.81364b086252c2815cb55f1e714c76ca.jpg

So the poor UTA pep band is in a tunnel surrounded by about 300-400 empty seats?   

That seems like an upper management decision if I've ever seen one! 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NTXDJ said:

So the poor UTA pep band is in a tunnel surrounded by about 300-400 empty seats?   

That seems like an upper management decision if I've ever seen one! 

It must have changed this school year because it was not like that last year when we played them. I wonder if having a "professional" team (WNBA) there had any influence in creating a party zone area in favor of a true student section.

The band has always been in their current location. I sat in the single seats by the tunnel as a kid in the 70’s. and remember them being good and playing during all of the down time. I prefer them over the DJ. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1