South Florida (2/3/24)

CMJ

What we need:

1. A healthy Noland. 
2. A healthy Allen. 
3. A more aggressive Sissoko around the rim. 
4. Moore and Cotton crash course prepared to play. 
5. Forget his name right now, but the JUCO from Kilgore to do something. These wasted scholarships are ridiculous. 
5.  Play our defense the entire game. 
6. Buggs to rediscover his stroke. 
7.  A healthy Noland and Allen. 

• Upvote 5

28 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

Sunday will be tough.  If we don't learn how to break a press consistently, the season will be over because teams will just start pressing us all game long.

Did you mean Saturday? 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

What we need:

1. A healthy Noland. 
2. A healthy Allen. 
5. Forget his name right now, but the JUCO from Kilgore to do something. These wasted scholarships are ridiculous. 

1. would be shocked if he plays. he looked in a ton of pain. if he did his groin significantly, we might be hoping he's ready for the conference tourney
2. he might keep the mask another game, but I expect he'll be feeling more himself
3. a duck is a duck is a duck
4. I wish, but I doubt it. we're gonna get 40 minutes of Edwards trying to run point solo and 20-25 minutes of Stone before the kids get thrown in. I hate it b/c the flashes we saw, more last year than this, impressed me, but I'm guessing Moore is done here. when you're a second year PG and your starter goes out and you can't sniff the court while a shooting guard and mini-point-forward manage the ball-handling, it's not a good sign
5. Dixon? he's a walk-on. Morgan on the other hand has taken a scholarship for near 3 seasons now and has scored a whole 6 points in that time. 
6. his heater was unsustainable and he's a streaky shooter. law of averages says he was due an 0-fer. that said, he's probably back in the starting line-up and should get more opportunities 
7. fingers crossed, I guess

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

Bad scouting?

Maybe, but don't jump to conclusions.  

Most HS kids are signed with the assumption - in any sport - that they are going to grow/fill out/whatever.  It's just not going to happen for 100% of them.  Every now and then you have a misfire: a kid that is already maxed out, or doesn't want to put in the work, or something else.

not sure what the case is with Morgan.  His dad was a Mean Green great in the late 1980s.  The genes are there.

• Upvote 1

I’m confused as to why anyone thinks Dixon is a walk on….  I don’t believe so and when I tried to find out for sure, only Allo was mentioned as a walk on. 

Sources have confirmed to gomeangreen.com that North Texas MBB is using last scholarship to add 6’8 Forward transfer Terrance Dixon from Kilgore. Dixon averaged 8 PPG and 4 Rebs. North Texas was looking to add a lengthy 4 to the roster. It looks like they have found their guy. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

What we need:

1. A healthy Noland. 
2. A healthy Allen. 

I agree with all of these but this one. Rediscover? Before this game he hit 8 straight 3s. If that's what you mean, I am sorry. It just makes it sound like he hasn't shot well in a while.

Also, 8. A healthy RUBIN JONES!

Edited by BigWillie
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CMJ said:

Buggs is a streaky shooter.  He's the kind of guy who is gonna miss 15 in a row and then hit the next ten.  Those kind of shooters can be frustrating, but when they're on they're world beaters.

We need to help Buggs get his confidence back again.

40 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

We need to help Buggs get his confidence back again.

That comes from continuing to shoot.   Sometimes giving a shooter the "green light" means he explodes for a big game...sometimes it means they put up bricks that take you out of a game.  

• Upvote 1

I can't tell if this talk of Buggs is a joke or ignorance. even stretching it back to his 0-fer against Boise, he's 19-41, or about 46% from three (and a kinda funny 1-5 from 2). that's fantastic. 

his 16-23 before the FAU miss isn't sustainable and this is why we use percentages. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I can't tell if this talk of Buggs is a joke or ignorance. even stretching it back to his 0-fer against Boise, he's 19-41, or about 46% from three (and a kinda funny 1-5 from 2). that's fantastic. 

his 16-23 before the FAU miss isn't sustainable and this is why we use percentages. 

This was kinda my point. I have no idea why Buggs has one bad game and people pile on him and he is in a slump.

Our fanbase is weird. What is this? Austin?

It's not much different than other team messageboards.  If Duke loses to Carolina tonight their fans will likely be trashing Filipowski and if UNC does Heels will do the same to RJ Davis if they are perceived at having "less than" games.

On 2/1/2024 at 4:22 PM, greenminer said:

Maybe, but don't jump to conclusions.  

Most HS kids are signed with the assumption - in any sport - that they are going to grow/fill out/whatever.  It's just not going to happen for 100% of them.  Every now and then you have a misfire: a kid that is already maxed out, or doesn't want to put in the work, or something else.

not sure what the case is with Morgan.  His dad was a Mean Green great in the late 1980s.  The genes are there.

His dad was all conference in 1988, and I think played only one year. The 1988 team included Tony Worell [sic?] and went to Utah for NCAA Sub -Regional's as a 16th seed where we were matched against North Carolina. My 8th grade son and I flew with the team and had a great time. The Mavericks were in town and we saw them play the Jazz.

• Upvote 3