Top 10 Super Pit Crowds of All Time per Zac Babb

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

What was DFW sports and entertainment like? I know Cowboys had already won a couple SBs.  I imagine there were not as many options like there are today.

Cowboys and Rangers. Minor league hockey briefly and no NBA. 

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

What was DFW sports and entertainment like? I know Cowboys had already won a couple SBs.  I imagine there were not as many options like there are today.

The biggest difference was no internet, no fan message boards, no ESPN, and no live video streaming of every game.

Your choices to learn about an NT game live was to listen on radio or attend in person.  Otherwise you had to wait until the next day to read the scores in the newspaper.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Cowboys and Rangers. Minor league hockey briefly and no NBA. 

The Mavericks first season was 80-81. During the DePaul game, there was a lot of talk about how Mark Aguirre was likely coming to the Mavericks with the first pick. 

The biggest difference was MUCH less sports on TV. ESPN has started, but didn't have any college football or basketball yet. The first lacrosse game I ever saw was on ESPN around that time. There weren't many cable TV options yet either - you had local DFW TV of 4, 5, 8, 11 (an independent at the time), 13, and 39. Channels 21, 27 and 33 had just signed on in 1979 but were Pay Per View scrambled signals after 7pm.

No Fox network yet. CNN started June 1, 1980. MTV started Aug 1, 1981. There weren't even any dedicated All-sports radio stations. 

I was living in the dorms Fall 76 thru Spring 78. Going to the game was just what you did - it was the default evening activity if you lived in a dorm. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/29/2024 at 9:38 PM, VideoEagle said:

The Mavericks first season was 80-81. During the DePaul game, there was a lot of talk about how Mark Aguirre was likely coming to the Mavericks with the first pick. 

The biggest difference was MUCH less sports on TV. ESPN has started, but didn't have any college football or basketball yet. The first lacrosse game I ever saw was on ESPN around that time. There weren't many cable TV options yet either - you had local DFW TV of 4, 5, 8, 11 (an independent at the time), 13, and 39. Channels 21, 27 and 33 had just signed on in 1979 but were Pay Per View scrambled signals after 7pm.

No Fox network yet. CNN started June 1, 1980. MTV started Aug 1, 1981. There weren't even any dedicated All-sports radio stations. 

I was living in the dorms Fall 76 thru Spring 78. Going to the game was just what you did - it was the default evening activity if you lived in a dorm. 

True, but his comment that I responded to said 70’s-80. I was thinking mainly the 70’s  

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1