A question for the "We should only recruit through the portal" crowd

emmitt01

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

If your philosophy on supporting teams is based on salary then you must not support any professional teams. That was my response to the highlight. You can find a 1,000 reasons not to support UNT, and now the reason is an item they have no control over. 

I watch pro games and your point makes no sense at all. 

Where did I said I won't support NT sports?  I said I do not support NIL, that means I will contribute nothing to NIL.  

Notice you again neglected to answer the highlighted question because you have no logical answer. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

a couple things. 

1) I think going straight portal recruiting would be career suicide for Morris in Texas. Spavital learnt that the hard way at TX ST. I think recruiting should be 50/50 half hs kids and half a combo of portal and juco. 

2) You don't have to have a million dollar NIL to compete. Alot of schools are grabbing talent without having to pay an arm and leg. It all comes down to evaluations. Outside of SMU, USF and Memphis there wasn't a ton of nil money being thrown around in the american confernce. 

Schools like us are going to have to be able to find diamonds in the rough. Not everyone is going to be offered big NIL deals. Between transfers, JCs and HS players, that's a lot of athletes. Some really good ones will fly under the radar. In the pros, think late round picks like Brock Purdy and undrafted free agents. Talent evaluation will be the key.

• Upvote 2

On 12/9/2023 at 8:34 AM, emmitt01 said:

I've noticed quite a few comments saying something along the lines of "we shouldn't even bother recruiting high school athletes, let's just hit the portal hard."   Here is my question to you:  How much are you willing to contribute to our NIL collectives???

I assume everyone understands that getting the impact transfers, in this new world of moving to the highest bidder, requires our university to be able to bid with the rest of college football.   I mean, surely nobody would come on this board to complain about how we are losing players to schools that have strong NIL collectives while simultaneously refusing to contribute to the solution....because that would just make you look kinda ridiculous.  

I think fans should do whatever is financially viable for them.  END OF STORY.  What we have now is so far from amateur operation the FBS was when UNT opted to go to FCS/I-AA it isn’t the same sport.   My purchasing of a tickets, subscribing to a media source that airs UNT sports, donating to the scholarship fund, buying merchandise are all in part meant to support the student athletes.  The NIL thing is more about the greed and irresponsibility of everyone involved in revenue generating college athletic events except the athletes.  The massive hypocrisy has generated a titanic karmic wave that is destroying everything.

22 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Do you really think the average student needs to be contributing to the education of players that are making more money than most of the fans? 

That is clearly the next big question that is going to be addressed.  Cooler heads have never prevailed in the progression of the corporatization of college sports.  If the top programs weren’t so greedy they could have created a league with about 80-120 teams.  With rules on budgets, staff salaries and robust revenue sharing.  But now that Pandora’s box is open it is up to the top 20-30 revenue programs save a FBS that isn’t just an NFL minor league.   Their track isn’t great so if we have compelling regular season college football come 2030 I will be very surprised.  

23 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

If your philosophy on supporting teams is based on salary then you must not support any professional teams. That was my response to the highlight. You can find a 1,000 reasons not to support UNT, and now the reason is an item they have no control over. 

The Dallas Cowboys aren’t asking me to make donations for their player compensation, coach salaries and facilities. 

I do not buy tickets to Cowboys games. Every few years I might buy a $25 Cowboys t-shirt. I do watch their games on TV, which helps them derive sponsorship money. 

For North Texas, I buy multiple football and men’s basketball season tickets and attend most games where we also spend plenty on concessions, donate to MGSF, have a recurring monthly NIL bank draft, watch the games on TV and get my ears on the ball with Hank and Dave and spend $100s on Mean Green gear every season.

It is way more of a commitment to be a college sports fan than a pro sports fan. I just don’t know if we can compete in football anymore with NIL without MULTIPLE big money (million $) boosters. But I am willing to be one of the smaller NIL boosters and see if we can get enough of us to make a difference. 

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 3

There was something romantic about college sports when it was: Can the kids who go to my school beat the kids who go to your school?

Now that it is just which school booster collective can throw the most money at the best professional football roster, it is way less fun. That is just math. Compare bank statements. You win. Who cares? 

• Upvote 6

On 12/9/2023 at 1:54 PM, GrandGreen said:

Absolutely nothing

Even if I had money to burn, I am not hypocritical enough to contribute to something I think is ruining sports

I agree.  If I give to NIL, I’m contributing to the demise of college athletics.  Rest assured, there will be unintended negative consequences above and beyond what we are seeing now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dodgefan said:

If you guy's hated SMU for their NIL program, you better not look at Charlotte. It is shocking, what these guys are doing in the portal.

Smart move to hire a businessman with deep pockets and lots of connections as head coach I guess.  

• Puking Eagle 1

8 hours ago, dodgefan said:

If you guy's hated SMU for their NIL program, you better not look at Charlotte. It is shocking, what these guys are doing in the portal.

That is an impressive haul....so far.  5 of 6 portal additions are from P5 schools.  Who knows if it pays off on in wins, but the size of these players alone tells you all you need to know why we always seem to look small on the field.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, NT93 said:

I agree.  If I give to NIL, I’m contributing to the demise of college athletics.  Rest assured, there will be unintended negative consequences above and beyond what we are seeing now.

I agree with a post that someone had earlier about supporting your school by buying season tickets, UNT mech. ect. I don't mind joining booster clubs and alumni associations but I'm not giving money to buy players. I love this school. I graduated and sent 3 daughters to UNT. I buy football and basketball season tickets. That should be enough. Get guys who want to be here and get a great education, live in a great city like Denton, enjoy everything UNT has to offer. I don't care if they are a 5 star athlete, just get kids that will play hard and love the Mean Green like I do. EX. Think JJ Murray and DJ Draper in basketball. Seems like Landon Sides from Guyer is in that group as well. I know there are many others. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1