NIT Changes Favor Power 6

MCMLXXX

On 10/28/2023 at 8:59 AM, NT80 said:

We defeated a Big12 and Big10 "brand" on our way to the trophy!

We did. And UNT + UAB + Utah Valley are THE reasons these changes are happening. They want ratings. That is 3 teams in a NIT Final 4 that do not draw widespread ratings. They're trying to ensure that scenario never happens again. When 1 makes it. It's a cute story. Let's pat them on the head. When low rating brands dominate the slots then it's problematic in their eyes. I wish more coaches would put them on blast for this obvious money grab. But coaches this effects most don't want to burn bridges because they're hoping to leave their current address and get paid 1 day. Same type stuff in football. Spineless men. 

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

They have never strictly followed the NET.  IIRC, when they waiver from it, 99% of the time it Is to satisfy a major brand and screw a smaller school out of a bid.

Also, I always suggest not using P5/P6 nomenclature in bball.  That is lingo that originated in BCS contracts and, thus, football only.  Lazy media mouths have hypnotized the casual fan into using it across all of college sports.   To my knowledge, it originally was never intended for bball.

It doesn't drive me crazy when people use it for MBB, it just makes one look less knowledgeable.

Well, the NIT is using it to give out auto-bids, so I think its relevant to this discussion. 

On 11/2/2023 at 8:07 PM, greenminer said:

They have never strictly followed the NET.  IIRC, when they waiver from it, 99% of the time it Is to satisfy a major brand and screw a smaller school out of a bid.

Also, I always suggest not using P5/P6 nomenclature in bball.  That is lingo that originated in BCS contracts and, thus, football only.  Lazy media mouths have hypnotized the casual fan into using it across all of college sports.   To my knowledge, it originally was never intended for bball.

It doesn't drive me crazy when people use it for MBB, it just makes one look less knowledgeable.

I agree with you on the terminology, however that was the language used by the NCAA in the official release.  Which was obviously used to appeal to the sponsors and advertisers.  I have always preferred using the traditional terms "high major" and "mid major."

• Upvote 1