Temple game to be on ESPNU 10/14 @ 11 a.m.

Matt from A700

1 hour ago, meanJewGreen said:

My only complaint is that we have a habit of embarrassing ourselves (football) when we play for a national audience (Arkansas aside). 

See: the past 6 bowl games other than last year's

Cal this year 

SMU and UTSA last year (CBSSN)

Marshall in 2021 (CBSSN)

Charlotte and SMU in 2020 (ESPNU and CBSSN)

Houston in 2019 (CBSSN)

Any national game in 2015

LATech (CBSSN) and UTEP (FSN) in 2014

You're right. One of the reasons our school moved on from SL was exactly this, correct? We're about to find out if Morris can get the team playing its best for important, televised matchups. Our next two games are winnable conference matchups on CBS Sports Network and ESPN U. I'd say those are two pretty big games. Time to crank it up and get these guys playing their best, coach Morris.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You're right. One of the reasons our school moved on from SL was exactly this, correct? We're about to find out if Morris can get the team playing its best for important, televised matchups. Our next two games are winnable conference matchups on CBS Sports Network and ESPN U. I'd say those are two pretty big games. Time to crank it up and get these guys playing their best, coach Morris.

I mean it would've been nice had they played their best at FIU too 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

Absolutely. I'm just saying, this is the start of conference play in the AAC with back-to-back nationally televised games against a team that's 1-3 and a team that's 2-3. The season is not lost. Conference play starts. Most teams have scheme weaknesses and personnel holes. Now is when we see if this staff has what it takes to put up a competitive fight and steal some wins. Couldn't have a better scheduling start to AAC play.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Absolutely. I'm just saying, this is the start of conference play in the AAC with back-to-back nationally televised games against a team that's 1-3 and a team that's 2-3. The season is not lost. Conference play starts. Most teams have scheme weaknesses and personnel holes. Now is when we see if this staff has what it takes to put up a competitive fight and steal some wins. Couldn't have a better scheduling start to AAC play.

yep. believe there was a similar situation of sorts in 2013 when we ripped off a 5 game winning streak to open CUSA play

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

23 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

We made a huge improvement from the Cal game to the FIU game.  There were like 7 lead changes in the FIU game and we could/should have won that game.  FIU's freshman QB hit some tough long passes and we made them look better, but they are not as bad a team (as usual) this year.  

First year coach sees first year staff and team in real games, makes adjustments, and sees where they need either scheme changes or more replacements in recruiting.  It's a process that should get better with experience with the team.  

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

17 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

Yeah…most of the guys haven’t showered, $hit and shaved yet

Thats why you shower and shave the night before a game.  NEVER shave on game day.  That's been bad juju since I was in high school.  Anytime I shave before game...loss.  

I'm just saying, I shaved Friday evening, and we beat ACU....

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I just looked up our record playing on national TV(CBSSN or ESPNU/2/ESPN) and we are 0-9 from 2020-2023, I don't know if you count it or not but we did beat UTEP on the NFL Network in 2019. Either way, let's hope that changes.

we beat Ball St. on a Thursday night in 2009 when we were the first game of the college football season... that was pretty kick ass

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Is there really a sentiment of "Since we might lose, we shouldn't ever play on national TV?" If that were really the case, we should shut down the program! 

As for starting at 11am, there will always be some scheduling conflicts for some people. I don't know any current UNT students, but I know a bunch of guys at other schools who love to stay up all night playing video games and still manage to do anything they actually want to do on Saturday morning. If they want to go to the game they will adjust or (more likely) just stay up all night and go without sleep. If they don't want to go, game time simply doesn't matter! 

There will always be youth sports conflicts on Saturdays. I live in Coppell and there are games for pre-K through 8th grade with start times from 8 am (requiring a 7 am arrival) through start times of 5 pm (lasting 90 minutes till 6:30 pm!). Most parents of I know of elementary kids are in two sports which gets even more complicated. If you are a fan and a parent, you have to make choices. It is called being an adult. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2023 at 11:02 PM, meaniegreenie said:

This is really cool considering that we're located in a significant zone and it will be happening during the game.
To your question, I don't recall any major sports activity experiencing a > 80% eclipse.  I'm sure it's happened, but probably pretty rare.

Note: This is the last annular solar eclipse that will be visible from the United States until June 21, 2039.

Here's an animation of the affects/times for the entire Earth.

https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/future-eclipses/eclipse-2023/

Badass. They'll certainly pause the game for this, there's no way you want a receiver or a punt returner looking up for the ball when this happens. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

I'm going to go bonkers for about one minute here...it's on fan abuse...I'm trying to find out because I'm traveling that day what time the kick off is on UNT/Temple. that game is one and a half weeks away...ummm, TV doesn't have a time for it yet...uhh, the websites don't have a time for it yet...I just called the University of North Texas and said "do YOU know when it's going to start?" and I was told they have not set up a time for it yet. I called DATCU and talked to their ticket office, and I was told, quite honestly, they don't know what time it is.

THIS IS TELEVISION! this is television doing this. make up your minds and set a time. this is fan abuse! these people have the right to know, to schedule their day one and a half weeks early. these are the flat-bleeping idiots on television who will not set a time. this is the type of abuse that goes on all the time as television changes start times, changes everything on the fans. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! what are you waiting for? one of these teams to lose four in a row so you can make it a 9.30a start on CSTV?! this is flat ridiculous! and it happens every year to people all over the country. this is ludicrous! the people at ESPNU should be ashamed of themselves. ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES! set the time for the game and get it over with. this is a meh game where people might travel 12 miles...and there will be 10, 20, 30, 50 games all over the country this year where television will move it around...they'll move it an hour...they'll move it three hours...they'll move it four hours...they'll make it a night game instead of a day game...

DO THEY NOT REALIZE HUMAN BEINGS HAVE TO SCHEDULE THEIR DAYS WHEN THEY WANNA GO TO THE FOOTBALL?!?!

no. they sit around with their thumb hidden from daylight, quite honestly. get it done. get it done. do they know, do they not realize these people are not born sitting in a stadium seat? that people (cough, cough) that people actually have to figure out a schedule for their games? this is ludicrous. have a little consideration for your fans. have just the tiniest bit of consideration for your fans. this is ridiculous. and college football should be ashamed of it. and the people at UNT/Temple should be ashamed of letting themselves be pushed around like this. this is an ok game and they're trying to figure out "well, when do we wanna start it? do we wanna start at 11? or 12? or 2.30? or..." this is just (cough, cough) this is just utterly ridiculous. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I'm going to go bonkers for about one minute here...it's on fan abuse...I'm trying to find out because I'm traveling that day what time the kick off is on UNT/Temple. that game is one and a half weeks away...ummm, TV doesn't have a time for it yet...uhh, the websites don't have a time for it yet...I just called the University of North Texas and said "do YOU know when it's going to start?" and I was told they have not set up a time for it yet. I called DATCU and talked to their ticket office, and I was told, quite honestly, they don't know what time it is.

THIS IS TELEVISION! this is television doing this. make up your minds and set a time. this is fan abuse! these people have the right to know, to schedule their day one and a half weeks early. these are the flat-bleeping idiots on television who will not set a time. this is the type of abuse that goes on all the time as television changes start times, changes everything on the fans. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! what are you waiting for? one of these teams to lose four in a row so you can make it a 9.30a start on CSTV?! this is flat ridiculous! and it happens every year to people all over the country. this is ludicrous! the people at ESPNU should be ashamed of themselves. ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES! set the time for the game and get it over with. this is a meh game where people might travel 12 miles...and there will be 10, 20, 30, 50 games all over the country this year where television will move it around...they'll move it an hour...they'll move it three hours...they'll move it four hours...they'll make it a night game instead of a day game...

DO THEY NOT REALIZE HUMAN BEINGS HAVE TO SCHEDULE THEIR DAYS WHEN THEY WANNA GO TO THE FOOTBALL?!?!

no. they sit around with their thumb hidden from daylight, quite honestly. get it done. get it done. do they know, do they not realize these people are not born sitting in a stadium seat? that people (cough, cough) that people actually have to figure out a schedule for their games? this is ludicrous. have a little consideration for your fans. have just the tiniest bit of consideration for your fans. this is ridiculous. and college football should be ashamed of it. and the people at UNT/Temple should be ashamed of letting themselves be pushed around like this. this is an ok game and they're trying to figure out "well, when do we wanna start it? do we wanna start at 11? or 12? or 2.30? or..." this is just (cough, cough) this is just utterly ridiculous. 

DAN!!! YOU MAKE A DAMN JOKE OUT OF EVERYTHING!!!

• Haha 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

norm-hitzges-i-find-it-shameful.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/2/2023 at 2:11 PM, UNTcrazy727 said:

ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU all broadcast games on Saturday and every game is nationally televised. Here's how last weekend looked.

image.png.d17ff9c4d1127154380311995e637431.png 

ESPNU also has the lowest ratings of all linear networks typically, unfortunately but still better than ESPN+

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

48 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

ESPNU also has the lowest ratings of all linear networks typically, unfortunately but still better than ESPN+

Is it? 

I wonder.

I keep reading that live TV bundles, whether cable, satellite, or YouTube TV, ratings are dropping like rocks and that  Baby Boomers are the generation watching the most of this. I heard this is what spawned the Golden Bachelor. 

The younger the generation, the less amount of "Live TV/Cable TV like" there is and the more on-demand streaming there is. More of an à la carte choice seems to be the most common. I have the ESPN package app that works on my ROKU and, in most cases, pretty great resolution. Now, some broadcasts need much better announcers and better camera work. I turn the ESPN subscription off for months when I am not watching any sports they offer. 

• Upvote 2