Breaking News: New Commits after Huge OV Weekend

TheReal_jayD

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Interestingly enough, he is listed as a DT on his 247 profile.

https://247sports.com/player/cameron-lewis-46114782/

Good video.  I didn't watch until the end, but the majority of his snaps are at the LG position.  Almost comical how how he manhandles some of his opponents.  Warning; take caution watching if you suffer from motion sickness.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/15111828/Cameron-Lewis

I only watched the first couple of minutes, but a lot of the snaps were against MUCH smaller players.  Hope he can do the same to D1 linemen.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Maybe I'm reading into this wrong but are we depending on a UTSA coaching change to regularly beat them in recruiting battles instead of having the better staff to begin with?

Don't worry guys. Once the better staff UTSA has gets hired away, we'll beat them in head to head battles until their next staff is in place. Very reassuring.

How I read it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

28 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

They have 2 conference championships at the moment... that is some weight in recruiting.. But this staff has already beat UTSA multiple times since arriving in Dec. 

For sure and if I knew nothing of our staff, I wouldn't expect them to flat out beat UTSA in most battles from the get go. It's just a tad frustrating to be told we have a staff of top notch recruiters who will give us excellent classes and now to be told "well UTSA does have 2 conference championships so it's hard to beat." Are they top notch recruiters loaded with connections who can close important recruiting battles or no?

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Plus we keep hearing how high school players are getting less attention bc of the portal. Shouldn’t we be able to bring in higher level recruits if the P5s are signing fewer high school recruits? Even G5s like SMUt are signing fewer high school kids, right? Shouldn’t there be a trickle down effect that benefits us?

I think schools can put kids on NIL and not on scholarship, which is dumb.  NIL has basically negated the NCAA scholarship limit.

A school can have an NIL program in place to recruit players that you can put on NIL, not on scholarship, and still recruit whomever you want for scholarships.  They can all be on the roster, and then suit up your best players for gameday.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think schools can put kids on NIL and not on scholarship, which is dumb.  NIL has basically negated the NCAA scholarship limit.

A school can have an NIL program in place to recruit players that you can put on NIL, not on scholarship, and still recruit whomever you want for scholarships.  They can all be on the roster, and then suit up your best players for gameday.

This is 100% started to happen. And will become widespread for the well to do. 

It will start to look like the 70s and 80s before the scholarship limit. The haves will basically start stacking talent for the sake of having it. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I see both of y'alls points. On one hand, there's always hidden gems to be found. On the other hand, we're told on this board that Morris has put together a staff that will elevate recruiting at North Texas yet we're still going after hidden gems... a hidden gem here and there is fine. Many programs have an under recruited guy or two starting, however, it seems we're already resetting expectations on multiple fronts with this new staff. Recruiting is the one area we've been told this staff will thrive in and now we're being told hidden gems will be necessary until we have a run of success. What's changed?

Bump.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This is 100% started to happen. And will become widespread for the well to do. 

It will start to look like the 70s and 80s before the scholarship limit. The haves will basically start stacking talent for the sake of having it. 

I think I heard someone say after week 1 that we have numbers saying that upsets are dwindling, suggesting the talent is being funneled to the top.

so, that was only one week but, yeah. Will be interesting to see those kind of statistics as the next season or two unfolds.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I never said any of that. 

the first statement I said about Traylor leaving was meaning that come December it could be a free for all for UTSA recruits. So don’t be counting recruits they have committed now as for sure signings. 

the second statement about 2 conference championship was stating that for fans to think Morris should win every battle against Utsa right out of the gate is idiotic. Morris and company have already won several battles. But to equate losing one battle here and there to them not being good recruiters is dumb.

You're missing the point on Traylor leaving and how that reflects on this staff. Commits being back on the market doesn't change the fact that we lost the battle to begin with. If you're depending on other coaches being hired away to get their better recruits there's a problem.

Morris and Co have won a few recruiting battles, sure. Between this past class and this current class, I don't see many highly recruited linemen outside of Keith Smith. This program is going to need a few marquee recruits on the defensive line if we're to take the next step and that's not happening enough so far. That's concerning. Is it early? Maybe. I don't know. Guess we can look at another AAC school with a new coach like FAU who has 5 OL/DL committed for this class. One is from Germany with 5 offers. The other 4 have between 9 and 19 officers each with multiple P5 offers. The lines is where games are won and recruiting in those positions isn't looking great early on.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

I think I heard someone say after week 1 that we have numbers saying that upsets are dwindling, suggesting the talent is being funneled to the top.

so, that was only one week but, yeah. Will be interesting to see those kind of statistics as the next season or two unfolds.

I think there's going to be a couple rocky years and that it'll balance out after that. Right now, all kids want that NIL money. Give it a couple years of riding the pine and those HS recruits that chased money will be looking to transfer for playing time. They'll swap places with G5 players looking for NIL paydays. That's essentially how I see things playing out in general. Could be wrong though and this all ends up sinking deeper.

40 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You're missing the point on Traylor leaving and how that reflects on this staff. Commits being back on the market doesn't change the fact that we lost the battle to begin with. If you're depending on other coaches being hired away to get their better recruits there's a problem.

Morris and Co have won a few recruiting battles, sure. Between this past class and this current class, I don't see many highly recruited linemen outside of Keith Smith. This program is going to need a few marquee recruits on the defensive line if we're to take the next step and that's not happening enough so far. That's concerning. Is it early? Maybe. I don't know. Guess we can look at another AAC school with a new coach like FAU who has 5 OL/DL committed for this class. One is from Germany with 5 offers. The other 4 have between 9 and 19 officers each with multiple P5 offers. The lines is where games are won and recruiting in those positions isn't looking great early on.

The positions that we don’t have a lot committed currently I think we will see more ready to play (juco/portal) added. I wouldn’t be surprised us adding 5-7 on the lines if not more. We obviously know we need ready to play DL not projects. I think OL maybe same. Definitely some guys on that OL we will have to work to keep this off season. Get the two hs dl that was in this weekend and one other HS OL. 

• Upvote 5

27 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The positions that we don’t have a lot committed currently I think we will see more ready to play (juco/portal) added. I wouldn’t be surprised us adding 5-7 on the lines if not more. We obviously know we need ready to play DL not projects. I think OL maybe same. Definitely some guys on that OL we will have to work to keep this off season. Get the two hs dl that was in this weekend and one other HS OL. 

I certainly expect they'll go transfer/juco heavy on the DL due to needing game ready guys like you said. Obviously none of this can be called a complete failure yet. We just really need to start getting some talent on the DL. If we have a surplus and guys have to sit for a couple years, that's fine. I'd rather have too many than not enough.

With the amount of TEs we have committed, are there any you see as candidates to move to DL or putting on weight for OL?

4 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

I've heard coaches in the past say that you make your money recruiting OL, DL, QBs and corners.  

If you're a G5 coach and you can consistently get top tier talent/performance from OT and DT, you will BANK.  Hardest positions to fill at our level.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, greenminer said:

If you're a G5 coach and you can consistently get top tier talent/performance from OT and DT, you will BANK.  Hardest positions to fill at our level.

Hate to suggest this but isn't this why previous UNT coaches went after good, experienced OT and DT from the Junior College ranks?  We've had some good ones in years past under Dickey and yes, even Coach Dan McCarney.

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

We have done ok at the OL position. For me the D line and QB position have been the struggle since Mason. With the limited amount of NIL dollars this is were the pay for play needs to be spent. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Might have been just a lot of hot air to land the UNT job.

Watch the Twitter interaction when Coach O simply requests for highlight videos.  He doesn't even tag anyone and the engagement is pretty good.  The example below has over 125,000 views, 630+ "likes", and - as of this post - 196 comments/replies.  That's high school kids submitting links, taking him directly to their HUDL highlights.

I think he is connected across the state, through social medial and his prior recruiting business/effort, on a level that you won't get with anyone else.

Now, the other half of the equation? I guy who can seal the deal.  I don't know who that is on our staff, or if we have one.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Watch the Twitter interaction when Coach O simply requests for highlight videos.  He doesn't even tag anyone and the engagement is pretty good.  The example below has over 125,000 views, 630+ "likes", and - as of this post - 196 comments/replies.  That's high school kids submitting links, taking him directly to their HUDL highlights.

I think he is connected across the state, through social medial and his prior recruiting business/effort, on a level that you won't get with anyone else.

Now, the other half of the equation? I guy who can seal the deal.  I don't know who that is on our staff, or if we have one.

Follow recruiting enough on Twitter and you'll see players are always posting their HUDL links trying to get noticed. This is nothing new. Not even for UNT.

• Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 1