Breaking News: New Commits after Huge OV Weekend

TheReal_jayD

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm not buying. Not really concerned about what other staffs brought in. THIS staff was supposed to be a recruiting staff. THIS staff was supposed to elevate the brand, not do business as usual. 

I see both of y'alls points. On one hand, there's always hidden gems to be found. On the other hand, we're told on this board that Morris has put together a staff that will elevate recruiting at North Texas yet we're still going after hidden gems... a hidden gem here and there is fine. Many programs have an under recruited guy or two starting, however, it seems we're already resetting expectations on multiple fronts with this new staff. Recruiting is the one area we've been told this staff will thrive in and now we're being told hidden gems will be necessary until we have a run of success. What's changed?

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I see both of y'alls points. On one hand, there's always hidden gems to be found. On the other hand, we're told on this board that Morris has put together a staff that will elevate recruiting at North Texas yet we're still going after hidden gems... a hidden gem here and there is fine. Many programs have an under recruited guy or two starting, however, it seems we're already resetting expectations on multiple fronts with this new staff. Recruiting is the one area we've been told this start will thrive in and now we're being told hidden gems will be necessary until we have a run of success. What's changed?

Still a lot of slots to be filled. But we have certainly entered into the show me what you can do stage becuase telling me is getting old. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 5

I am fine with this addition. He has the frame to add more weight. It is a little concerning he doesn't have other offers, however are we expecting him to play right away? No, look at the current depth chart. Our interior OL will be Srs by the time he steps on campus.

Current Depth:

LG- both Jr's

C- Jr and Sr

RG- So and Jr

We should hope he continues to develop and get ready to block FBS DL. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

I am fine with this addition. He has the frame to add more weight. It is a little concerning he doesn't have other offers, however are we expecting him to play right away? No, look at the current depth chart. Our interior OL will be Srs by the time he steps on campus.

Current Depth:

LG- both Jr's

C- Jr and Sr

RG- So and Jr

We should hope he continues to develop and get ready to block FBS DL. 

Sure, no doubt. Very well can learn from the upperclassmen and very well could develop into a nice player. Could. He's our 16th commit of this class and our 1st linemen in the entire class, OL/DL. If we were shored up well with rostered and committed players then he would be a nice addition as a developmental player. We aren't. In the 2 classes that this staff has worked on we have 3 OL committed/signed. 2 FBS offers. 

Our direct competitor, UTSA, has 8 OL signed from last class and/or committed to this class. 36 FBS offers not including the UTSA offers. Looks like 6 of them are the real deal with lots of offers and 2 with 0 FBS offers much like Mr. Lewis here. And I don't even want to think about doing a side-by-side comparison of the DL. It would probably be ridiculously ugly. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

Interestingly enough, he is listed as a DT on his 247 profile.

https://247sports.com/player/cameron-lewis-46114782/

Good video.  I didn't watch until the end, but the majority of his snaps are at the LG position.  Almost comical how how he manhandles some of his opponents.  Warning; take caution watching if you suffer from motion sickness.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/15111828/Cameron-Lewis

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Still a lot of slots to be filled. But we have certainly entered into the show me what you can do stage becuase telling me is getting old. 

Yes lots of slots to be filled but it seems weird to not be getting commitments from well recruited players this early in the cycle. This is starting to feel like the same old cycles where we get under recruited "gems" and then see who's left at the 11th hour. That doesn't look like strong recruiting but I don't know. I'm just some guy.

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Plus we keep hearing how high school players are getting less attention bc of the portal. Shouldn’t we be able to bring in higher level recruits if the P5s are signing fewer high school recruits? Even G5s like SMUt are signing fewer high school kids, right? Shouldn’t there be a trickle down effect that benefits us?

Exactly this. There should be plenty of good HS recruits needing attention yet this feels like we'll be snatching left overs the day before signing day.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Players with future aspirations are going to wait and see whether any offer come from BIg12 and ACC schools.  They are weighing their options and observing the playing time they will get.  As the season goes on, if opportunities arise they will take advantage of those and they do not have to put the dreaded “Please respect my decision” in their profile.

I have every hope we will pick up some gems on down the line and we will see the trickle down effect come into play.

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Sure, no doubt. Very well can learn from the upperclassmen and very well could develop into a nice player. Could. He's our 16th commit of this class and our 1st linemen in the entire class, OL/DL. If we were shored up well with rostered and committed players then he would be a nice addition as a developmental player. We aren't. In the 2 classes that this staff has worked on we have 3 OL committed/signed. 2 FBS offers. 

Our direct competitor, UTSA, has 8 OL signed from last class and/or committed to this class. 36 FBS offers not including the UTSA offers. Looks like 6 of them are the real deal with lots of offers and 2 with 0 FBS offers much like Mr. Lewis here. And I don't even want to think about doing a side-by-side comparison of the DL. It would probably be ridiculously ugly. 

I hear Alabama and Notre Dame are also slightly ahead of the Mean Green in recruiting.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • RV 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I hear Alabama and Notre Dame are also slightly ahead of the Mean Green in recruiting.

Ohhhhhh.....

Alabama = UTSA = Notre Dame

Got it. 

We are one ostrich in the sand fanbase. It's miraculous how neverending this place is. The more things change, the more identical it looks. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Ohhhhhh.....

Alabama = UTSA = Notre Dame

Got it. 

We are one ostrich in the sand fanbase. It's miraculous how neverending this place is. The more things change, the more identical it looks. 

Lets see how this season plays out. Good chance Jeff Traylor is coaching another team come early signing period

Mark Wahlberg Chill GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1