Why?

Cr1028

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

The only thing that keeps me from going to quit football is the naive notion that college football here gives young men a chance at a free education to hopefully better themselves with in the future. Literally, it’s the only thing. But it’s a damn big one.

Sure. Field the team. Hand out 85 scholarships. Do the bare minimum similar to the program that beat us tonight. Off the top, I believe FIU has a 4m operating football budget. We have almost 10m. Drop us to fiu levels in football and push the rest into basketball. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, keith said:

Unfortunately I don’t get a vote.  However, I think they were undefeated at the time and “ranked” somewhere around that.  Why the revisionist history?  We beat them.  

🤦🏽‍♂️ There is nothing revisionist looking at the role weather played in our victory against UTSA.   It wasn't our pass defense that stop their passing game, it was the rain, wind and cold.   That victory was a fluke far more so than the top 15 rating.   At worse you couldn't logically have them outside the top 25.  So we need to put that to bed.  Because as much as Seth proved we weren't as good as them in 2022 they earn another conference championship.  And the second game wasn't close.

8 hours ago, keith said:

Yes.  People should quit  making excuses why we beat the sh!t out of UTSA that day. 

It isn't excuses, it is an honest evaluation of what we saw.  Was awesome pass coverage that shut UTSA pass game down that day?  You know that wasn't the case.  Was it our pass game that ran up the score?  Look at the stats.  Seth was brought here as a passing game guru.   And no way should that  fluke victory have earned Seth an additional season just to be mediocre again.  Thankfully is last 2 seasons he pivoted to leaning on the run game because his QB rarely hit 60% completion mark for games.  That pivot made games competitive and watchable when we could stabilize the offense when Aune was off.

7 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Sure. Field the team. Hand out 85 scholarships. Do the bare minimum similar to the program that beat us tonight. Off the top, I believe FIU has a 4m operating football budget. We have almost 10m. Drop us to fiu levels in football and push the rest into basketball. 

Can't argue with that.  Let's make a young hungry coach turn this football program around and then adjust the budget to back around 10 million.  Overpaying for mediocre is just stupid.  10 million is not putting buts in seats.  The 18k average in attendance shows us that.

This was not a rebuilding year. Seth couldn’t get NT out of being an average program. Eric Morris was supposed to help this program take the next step.  Instead, Eazy E has done nothing but tanked the program. The AD should be demanding answers this morning. 😡

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Some of you were so certain that Seth Littrell was holding us back that just about anyone could improve over him. Well, we are now worse. I hope things improve but right now it looks like we are headed from conference runnerup to cellar dwellar again. Hope it was fun.

Just because we wanted Littrell gone doesnt mean we thought Morris was the answer. I wanted Carthel, Keeler or someone else who had proven that they can have success as a HC. Thing is, not a single person on here has any say and it all came down to what Mosley wanted to do. Mosley is another person that shouldn’t have been hired

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Just because we wanted Littrell gone doesnt mean we thought Morris was the answer. I wanted Carthel, Keeler or someone else who had proven that they can have success as a HC. Thing is, not a single person on here has any say and it all came down to what Mosley wanted to do. Mosley is another person that shouldn’t have been hired

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you about Mosley. From my reading about his professional history, he appeared to be the best AD candidate because he had (or should have had) the best perspective about North Texas and how to go about turning things around here. 

I was disappointed that he didn't hire Carthel. Carthel is another fellow West Texan who came from a very hard-working family with a long history of coaching.......in West Texas. In fact I wanted his dad (Don) to be hired to replace DD instead of Todd Dodge.  Don Carthel would have gotten out in the community and sold his program.....Hayden Fry style. Instead, we hired the (somewhat) brilliant but aloof Todd Dodge.

When Dodge was finally fired I still wanted them to hire Don Carthel instead of McCarney. Don Carthel was no spring chicken at that time, but he would have been a much better selection than that old worn out war horse of a coach. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you about Mosley. From my reading about his professional history, he appeared to be the best AD candidate because he had (or should have had) the best perspective about North Texas and how to go about turning things around here. 

I was disappointed that he didn't hire Carthel. Carthel is another fellow West Texan who came from a very hard-working family with a long history of coaching.......in West Texas. In fact I wanted his dad (Don) to be hired to replace DD instead of Todd Dodge.  Don Carthel would have gotten out in the community and sold his program.....Hayden Fry style. Instead, we hired the (somewhat) brilliant but aloof Todd Dodge.

When Dodge was finally fired I still wanted them to hire Don Carthel instead of McCarney. Don Carthel was no spring chicken at that time, but he would have been a much better selection than that old worn out war horse of a coach. 

Didn’t know that about his father! Colby Carthel was my HS kickers HC at Commerce and recruited me as a LS out of HS but I was more interested in Tech and UNT as they were interested in me. I like McCarney simply because he and his staff were very interested in me but my Official visit was the UNT vs Portland St game..so that was over afterwards and I was told once Littrell became HC that they weren’t interested anymore as I’d blown out my knee again. Colby Carthel though was my top pick to be the next HC as I trusted what he’d done at Commerce which was a perfect example of what we needed as well as him getting SFA even slightly respectable was impressive as hell.

It’d be nice to get someone like Don Carthel who would go out in the community and get involved as thats what UNT needs in a HC. Maybe Colby would do the same thing if he were here and his dad is the ST coach ive seen so you’d get some old wisdom and a defensive minded coaching staff.

14 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Some of you were so certain that Seth Littrell was holding us back that just about anyone could improve over him. Well, we are now worse. I hope things improve but right now it looks like we are headed from conference runnerup to cellar dwellar again. Hope it was fun.

Never thought I would say this… I would take Seth right now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

14 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

What's the intent here? Did you want to keep Seth? He hit his peak. We needed to keep moving up. Morris apparently isn't the answer. But neither was keeping Seth. So... just... What is the point?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mgfan said:

Never thought I would say this… I would take Seth right now. 

I would too.

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

What's the intent here? Did you want to keep Seth? He hit his peak. We needed to keep moving up. Morris apparently isn't the answer. But neither was keeping Seth. So... just... What is the point?

Yes, I was one of the very few that thought he earned another year. We were really bad in ‘19. Better in ‘20 than ‘19. Better in ‘21 than ‘20 and better ‘22 than ‘21. As long as he didn’t have another fall off like ‘19 I was willing to let him continue the incremental improvement.

Edited by Cr1028

15 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Yup what was that big important win game Seth won. I must of missed it. But he did let SMU come in here last year and trounce us. Did he ever beat them at home? 

Arkansas was his big win. That was it. When he failed to get his P5 gig at K State, he was crush d and never recovered. 

6 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I would too.

Yes, I was one of the very few that thought he earned another year. We were really bad in ‘19. Better in ‘20 than ‘19. Better in ‘21 than ‘20 and better ‘22 than ‘21. As long as he didn’t have another fall off like ‘19 I was willing to let him continue the incremental improvement.

Yes, you were.

The UAB game last year was personally my last straw. I thought he absolutely had to go at that point. Now, looks like we'll get about 10 UABs this season. That still doesn't mean SL needed to not go. It just shows UNT dragged its feet through the process and made what is looking like a poor hire. 

• Upvote 1