Don’t Blame it All on the 3-3-5 Defense

MeanGreenGlory

The defense was bad all around yesterday. There’s no arguing that, and I also question if the scheme is right for North Texas…

But to be fair, our offense didn’t do them any favors because our offense didn’t get any first downs in the last 40 MINUTES of the game.

In other words, for 2/3rds of the game, our offense was on and off the field in mere minutes, giving our defense no time to recover and make adjustments with in-game feedback. 

Effectively, our offense allowed Cal’s offense to wear our defense down in the Texas heat the way we all hoped our offense was going to wear Cal’s defense down in the Texas heat.

We have to improve all around this week. 

Edited by MeanGreenGlory
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

The defense was bad all around yesterday. There’s no arguing that, and I also question if the scheme is right for North Texas…

But to be fair, our offense didn’t do them any favors because our offense didn’t get any first downs in the last 40 MINUTES of the game.

In other words, for 2/3rds of the game, our offense was on and off the field in mere minutes, giving our defense no time to recover and make adjustments with in-game feedback. 

Effectively, our offense allowed Cal’s offense to wear our defense down in the Texas heat the way we all hoped our offense was going to wear Cal’s defense down in the Texas heat.

We have to improve all around this week. 

That Ott guy had like 150yds by the end of the 1st half.  We were going toe-to-toe with them offensively in the 1st half.

While I agree 1 1st down in the 2nd half made it even worse, the defense is certainly a problem.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That Ott guy had like 150yds by the end of the 1st half.  We were going toe-to-toe with them offensively in the 1st half.

While I agree 1 1st down in the 2nd half made it even worse, the defense is certainly a problem.

I’m not saying our defense isn’t a problem—it clearly is.

I’m just saying that our offense was also bad yesterday and didn’t do our defense any favors. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

I’m not saying our defense isn’t a problem—it clearly is.

I’m just saying that our offense was also bad yesterday and didn’t do our defense any favors. 

We definitely saw this in the Dodge era and some of Seth's early years. The under talented/sized D that was doing OK was gassed and doing terrible by the time the band took the field at half. This is a problem with the quick offense scheme. It goes sideways real quick when it isn't working. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

We definitely saw this in the Dodge era and some of Seth's early years. The under talented/sized D that was doing OK was gassed and doing terrible by the time the band took the field at half. This is a problem with the quick offense scheme. It goes sideways real quick when it isn't working. 

I really wish a coach that runs a quick scheme offense would stop and adjust when the defense is struggling and try to use up the clock. This is something Seth refused to do and we had our defense stay on the field way too long in many games. I guess it's just part of the air raid mentality that won't go away

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I really wish a coach that runs a quick scheme offense would stop and adjust when the defense is struggling and try to use up the clock. This is something Seth refused to do and we had our defense stay on the field way too long in many games. I guess it's just part of the air raid mentality that won't go away

Did we have a game plan?  What was it?  Or were we counting exclusively on Texas heat?

• Upvote 3