Gameday Presentation

Green Otaku

There's not really much else I can say about the game that hasn't already been said, but is it just me or is our gameday presentation as bad as how we played yesterday?

Why did our field make the white numbers/letters/logos look muddy/dirty? Our shade of green turf looks very drab on TV. 

Screenshot2023-09-03at9_33_13AM.png.f090ecc3d2500eb418ec7d70b58e98e2.png

Screenshot2023-09-03at9_34_42AM.png.acea9e64a8003b4d7e3dd1e346e87a7a.png

Screenshot2023-09-03at9_48_17AM.png.defe7ab4bbb62fc262febbbcafe892a2.png

Compare that to how crisp and clean Tulane's field looked.

Screenshot2023-09-03at9_38_29AM.png.f6586ae9e7626d289e6453b4ca9b20ab.png

Screenshot2023-09-03at9_38_50AM.png.a7747de5e92fe7a713f21938ac3b4fe0.png

Screenshot2023-09-03at9_52_19AM.png.cbc9096175c9d33edb8af18a2b1e2cf4.png

Also what is with those patches behind the American logo? Did we just cut out the CUSA one? 

Screenshot2023-09-03at9_36_50AM.png.3a05c8e650ba073e35c381b4ec2de2b2.png

Outside of the visuals there is just a very casual unfocused air around UNT games. The band didn't play on 3rd downs, or played after a Cal 1st down. The stadium announcer is very bland. It's like we don't know what to do. 

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

There's not really much else I can say about the game that hasn't already been said, but is it just me or is our gameday presentation as bad as how we played yesterday?

Why did our field make the white numbers/letters/logos look muddy/dirty? Our shade of green turf looks very drab on TV. 

Screenshot2023-09-03at9_33_13AM.png.f090ecc3d2500eb418ec7d70b58e98e2.png

Screenshot2023-09-03at9_34_42AM.png.acea9e64a8003b4d7e3dd1e346e87a7a.png

Screenshot2023-09-03at9_48_17AM.png.defe7ab4bbb62fc262febbbcafe892a2.png

Compare that to how crisp and clean Tulane's field looked.

Screenshot2023-09-03at9_38_29AM.png.f6586ae9e7626d289e6453b4ca9b20ab.png

Screenshot2023-09-03at9_38_50AM.png.a7747de5e92fe7a713f21938ac3b4fe0.png

Screenshot2023-09-03at9_52_19AM.png.cbc9096175c9d33edb8af18a2b1e2cf4.png

Also what is with those patches behind the American logo? Did we just cut out the CUSA one? 

Screenshot2023-09-03at9_36_50AM.png.3a05c8e650ba073e35c381b4ec2de2b2.png

Outside of the visuals there is just a very casual unfocused air around UNT games. The band didn't play on 3rd downs, or played after a Cal 1st down. The stadium announcer is very bland. It's like we don't know what to do. 

The look you speak of is caused by the little black rubber pellets that are rubbed into the turf as part of the type of artificial turf used at DATCU.  I noticed the same at Tulane.  Not sure if they use a different kind of turf or what.  

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

The look you speak of is caused by the little black rubber pellets that are rubbed into the turf as part of the type of artificial turf used at DATCU.  I noticed the same at Tulane.  Not sure if they use a different kind of turf or what.  

Did they re-pellet the field before this game or something? Off the top of my head I think there are different types of turf with some more expensive options. I'd have to look it up though. 

Culture matters and the culture within our program is half ass effort.  It took the last 3 years to beat that into me but I have finally accepted it.  I think I will try to stay away from football all together after watching the FIU game.  My job is going to require weekend travel this season and that maybe fortuitous for me.  

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

59 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Did they re-pellet the field before this game or something? Off the top of my head I think there are different types of turf with some more expensive options. I'd have to look it up though. 

They redid the center logo and added the DATCU logos and American logos, all of which required cutting out turf and adding new turf.  They would have re-pelleted after that. 

2 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

They redid the center logo and added the DATCU logos and American logos, all of which required cutting out turf and adding new turf.  They would have re-pelleted after that. 

Are you sure they didn't paint over the horizontal CUSA logos and then paint the AAC "A" over it?  I've seen them paint the field before, I assume they have some mechanism to rake the pellets loose after.

They should have painted the DATCU logos over the horizontal CUSA logos (similar shape and size) and put the AAC A on the left side (if you're sitting on the home shade side.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Are you sure they didn't paint over the horizontal CUSA logos and then paint the AAC "A" over it?  I've seen them paint the field before, I assume they have some mechanism to rake the pellets loose after.

They should have painted the DATCU logos over the horizontal CUSA logos (similar shape and size) and put the AAC A on the left side (if you're sitting on the home shade side.

Yes.  I was at the kickoff event when they had the new turf sitting on top of the old.  Notice how much more the white popped before adding the pellets. 

image.png.72acfae694b5801564fb74cb633a1bd4.png

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

16 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Yes.  I was at the kickoff event when they had the new turf sitting on top of the old.  Notice how much more the white popped before adding the pellets. 

image.png.72acfae694b5801564fb74cb633a1bd4.png

Thanks for the info. I always thought those logos were painted on. I looked at the other AAC newbies that had home games and none of their "A" logos had the black/dark turf. I'm assuming that turf will fade in the sun to the right color over time, did we just put the logos on really late? 

Yes, the white on the field looks much better in your pic then it did on gameday. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

The DATCU logo replaced where UNT used to be on the field and the DATCU naming rights didn’t come around until after they’d already started replacing CUSA with the A on the turf.  

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

On 9/3/2023 at 7:27 PM, vpackrats said:

Put in grass and the field will look fantastic all the time.  And have a better home-field advantage to boot since grass fields are pretty rare these days.  Call me old school but grass is better ... especially for the players.

Yeah that would look awesome but that’s a lot of maintenance/money we don’t have clearly if we can’t even get our AC up.

But I will say this bouncing off of what the main topic is about. That’s not very different than what it looks like in real life. The actual green color on the field is way more “worn” looking than Tulane who I think replaced their turf like the last 1-2 years, we did it in 2018. And not to mention they had their lights on because it was a 6:00 kick and that makes even our turf look a bit brighter.

The TV presentation was much better, and looking at what UTEP had to deal with yesterday, we are blessed beyond belief. Scoreboards were working, it was probably the best game day operations in a while.

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, NT80 said:

An artificial turf field should pop with color and crispness. 

Ours used to, but now looks awful.  How old is it?

unt-stadium-1.jpg

That pic is from before the pellets were applied (as well as before the corner scoreboard, before Spiriki, etc.).  Plus, the field has been completely redone since then (removing the thick black boarder and adding the building champions or whatever it says).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

That pic is from before the pellets were applied (as well as before the corner scoreboard, before Spiriki, etc.).  Plus, the field has been completely redone since then (removing the thick black boarder and adding the building champions or whatever it says).

The border, endzone lettering and numbers on that field seemed sharp looking vs Houston after they added the pellets.  

Yes, that original turf has been changed since, but I don't recall how old it is.  I think they last 5-7 years?  Whatever we are doing now with the pellets makes the whole field like dirty.   I seem to recall they settle eventually and bond together so maybe that will help.  It's just not a clean look now.  Not a problem for many other fields, why does our look so dingy?

September 2011 – Mean Green Nation

Edited by NT80

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

The border, endzone lettering and numbers on that field seemed sharp looking vs Houston after they added the pellets.  

Yes, that original turf has been changed since, but I don't recall how old it is.  I think they last 5-7 years?  Whatever we are doing now with the pellets makes the whole field like dirty.   I seem to recall they settle eventually and bond together so maybe that will help.  It's just not a clean look now.  Not a problem for many other fields, why does our look so dingy?

September 2011 – Mean Green Nation

You want to know why? You really want to know why? 
I’ll tell you why. Because we are North Texas. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1