A funny irony

emmitt01

For years now we have lamented that sportscasters can’t get our name right when they call us “North Texas State”, and hate when SMU calls us “NTSU”.  

But we sell this t-shirt (pictured below) at the stadium shop and love this design when we see it our head coach in an interview.  

🤔 🤔 

C52320EF-D10E-4995-AFEE-579E972C3320.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

For years now we have lamented that sportscasters can’t get our name right when they call us “North Texas State”, and hate when SMU calls us “NTSU”.  

But we sell this t-shirt (pictured below) at the stadium shop and love this design when we see it our head coach in an interview.  

🤔 🤔 

No different from other schools selling retro clothing.   I like it....

UTEP Men's Basketball on Twitter: "🏀TEXAS WESTERN NIGHT🏀 First 4️⃣0️⃣0️⃣  fans will receive this Texas Western Basketball commemorative t-shirt‼️ 🆚  @FAU_Hoops | 7pm #TWC66 ⛏ #BlueCollarMentality https://t.co/I9TuXLfMhy" /  Twitter

MPHS-T-007-VAULT_1800x1800.png?v=1625848854

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

🤔 🤔 

I graduated from North Texas State. I wish we were still North Texas State. I think it looks good (better) and was more recognized then people want to admit. Hence the years it has taken to distance ourselves from the name and not all of those past references over the years were negative or meant to degrade the university. We should have stayed with NTSU! 
But not a big fan of the flying worm. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 2

17 hours ago, greenminer said:

No, we are okay honoring our past.  Especially one that, IMO, is really really unique and cool.

If you're concerned or frustrating that this throwback will only perpetuate that misunderstanding, I totally get it.  My takeaway from this: we need to make these uninformed groups feel pretty guilty (and they should be) about confusing us with a name that is so long-gone, it is on a throwback/vintage line of clothing.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, greenminer said:
17 hours ago, greenminer said:

No, we are okay honoring our past.  Especially one that, IMO, is really really unique and cool.

If you're concerned or frustrating that this throwback will only perpetuate that misunderstanding, I totally get it.  My takeaway from this: we need to make these uninformed groups feel pretty guilty (and they should be) about confusing us with a name that is so long-gone, it is on a throwback/vintage line of clothing.

No, I just think we can’t have it both ways.  Either we “embrace our history” or don’t get mad when people refer to us by a name we literally wear across our chests

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

I graduated from North Texas State. I wish we were still North Texas State. I think it looks good (better) and was more recognized then people want to admit. Hence the years it has taken to distance ourselves from the name and not all of those past references over the years were negative or meant to degrade the university. We should have stayed with NTSU! 
But not a big fan of the flying worm. 

I remember the state club, beer and burger.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

I graduated NTSU. I like the retro NTSU. Do I want to change the name back....no.

I have two older brothers who graduated NTSU..they lettered....and many friends who went here. We all just refer to UNT/NTSU as NORTH TEXAS. Never had a problem when discussing universities and college atheltics with others.

Edited by RBP79
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

No, I just think we can’t have it both ways.  Either we “embrace our history” or don’t get mad when people refer to us by a name we literally wear across our chests

Sometimes, we can have things both ways*.  Celebrate our past.  Wear the throw backs.  AND let people know they are throwbacks.  IMO, this is a big one on the sports information staff.  They should be on top of this, better than previous generations.

Maybe show them tape of previous (recent) broadcasts where the color/pxp referred to us as NTSU.

*Who deals in absolutes?

anakin GIF

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I love when my Titans wear the Oilers throwback jerseys. No one in the Titans organization is concerned that media will confuse using a throwback name with desire to use that previous name in the present. Humans are capable of understanding nuance, of which this only requires the slightest bit.

The change happened 35 years ago. Only people who still get it wrong are 50+ people who refuse to make even the slightest effort to correctly associate the name we’ve been using since the Reagan administration.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I love when my Titans wear the Oilers throwback jerseys. No one in the Titans organization is concerned that media will confuse using a throwback name with desire to use that previous name in the present. Humans are capable of understanding nuance, of which this only requires the slightest bit.

The change happened 35 years ago. Only people who still get it wrong are 50+ people who refuse to make even the slightest effort to correctly associate the name we’ve been using since the Reagan administration.

Yes absolutely!  Love the oil derrick in the helmet.

• Lovely Take 1

22 hours ago, NT80 said:

No different from other schools selling retro clothing.   I like it....

UTEP Men's Basketball on Twitter: "🏀TEXAS WESTERN NIGHT🏀 First 4️⃣0️⃣0️⃣  fans will receive this Texas Western Basketball commemorative t-shirt‼️ 🆚  @FAU_Hoops | 7pm #TWC66 ⛏ #BlueCollarMentality https://t.co/I9TuXLfMhy" /  Twitter

MPHS-T-007-VAULT_1800x1800.png?v=1625848854

But announcers and other schools don’t still refer to them as those schools. They call them UTEP and Memphis.  Us, on the other hand….

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

But announcers and other schools don’t still refer to them as those schools. They call them UTEP and Memphis.  Us, on the other hand….

I have heard announcers say Memphis State.  
I just always think it reflects poorly on the announcer’s ability for the job.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

On 8/12/2023 at 1:00 PM, emmitt01 said:

🤔 🤔 

The shirt above, minus the "State" and the "flying worm" perched on the nickname......like this one below.

carousel image 0

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

On 8/12/2023 at 11:53 PM, BillySee58 said:

The NFL is a bit different of an animal than a G5 college in Texas that hasnt had a whole lot of national success. I say this as an alum who hates it when people screw up our name 

Still of the belief that the titans should renounce their claim to the Oilers logo/jersey and we should rename the Texans accordingly. 

Edited by meanJewGreen
  • Upvote 6

10 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

Still of the belief that the titans should renounce their claim to the Oilers logo/jersey and we should rename the Texans accordingly. 

Nah. Titans were the Oilers, even in Tennessee. Texans never were. Very glad they will be wearing the Oilers throwbacks against the team that has only ever been the Houston Texans.

• Upvote 1