Rebuild or Revolution? UNT Mean Green 2023 Season Preview and Predictions

15 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

2 or 3?! We should cover that in OOC. 

We will likely be favored or only a 1 score underdog vs FIU, La Tech, ACU, Navy, Temple, Tulsa, UAB, and probably Memphis. IMO, there's little reason we shouldn't win at least 5 games. 

Based on what???   new coaches, new players, new system... every aspect of the game is seeing major changes. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

Based on what???   new coaches, new players, new system... every aspect of the game is seeing major changes. 

Many of the CUSA teams moving up to the AAC face the same issues: new head coaches, new playbooks, and many new players.   I will settle for 6-6 as respectful this first year.

• Upvote 7

17 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Cal, Navy, Tulsa, and UAB are in the same situation as us. And I don't think its a big stretch to say we have better talent than ACU, FIU, La Tech, and Temple. 

So your entire basis is that some of the other teams might be just as bad?  I'm not trying to be negative, I'm being realistic that this is a rebuild. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

So your entire basis is that some of the other teams might be just as bad?  I'm not trying to be negative, I'm being realistic that this is a rebuild. 

Yes, exactly. How good your opponents are is a big factor in how many games you'll win. There are 4 teams on our schedule also going through "rebuilds" and there are 4 teams most would say we are better than.  I don't think we'll be great this year, but we have 8 very winnable games. To think we are only capable of winning 2-3 of those games is very pessimistic, IMO. 

• Upvote 6

We have more talent than LaTech, ACU, FIU, Temple, and Navy (although they generally compensate through scheme). Probably Tulsa also now that I think about it.  That doesn’t guarantee wins but it’s a pretty good foundation for optimism. 

• Upvote 5

A win against Cal gives us a shot at 4-0 in non-conference games, otherwise expect 3-1.

A 4-4 conference record is doable with key being win at Navy. Predict other wins against Temple, UAB, and Tulsa.

These are based on the various rankings that are out so far. The 2024 season looks even better as we drop Tulane and Memphis from schedule, and pick up ECU, Rice, South Florida, and Charlotte.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1