UNT Game Themes for 2023

I love the idea of making Homecoming against an opponent people might actually care about and/or have actually heard about. This program has to start to capitalize on these opportunities if we want any sustained fan support. Homecoming is always a good crowd, and a win over Memphis will carry more weight than a win over Temple. We have to quit thinking so small and always wanting to schedule patsies we think we can beat for these types of games and schedule good programs and still expect to win.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

You don’t schedule Homecoming against good teams. And Homecoming is going to have a good crowd regardless. 

A crowd against Memphis is more important to the outcome of the game than a crowd for Temple.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I love the idea of making Homecoming against an opponent people might actually care about and/or have actually heard about. This program has to start to capitalize on these opportunities if we want any sustained fan support. Homecoming is always a good crowd, and a win over Memphis will carry more weight than a win over Temple. We have to quit thinking so small and always wanting to schedule patsies we think we can beat for these types of games and schedule good programs and still expect to win.

Homecoming is the game that has the most casuals fans. You don't want to schedule a game you a likely to lose. You want to send those casuals home with a winning experiencing. They won't really care who the game is against. 

We have to quit thinking so small and always wanting to schedule patsies

This is what literally EVERY program does. It has nothing to do with thinking small. It's just smart marketing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

11 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Isn’t Oktoberfest celebrated in September?

Yeah, traditionally it's the last 2 weeks of September. For example, Addison is having their Oktoberfest Sept 14-17 this year. You'll see celebrations bleed into October, but October 14th is really late. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

You don't want to schedule a game you a likely to lose.

This is exactly my point. We have always walked into games like Memphis expecting to lose. We shouldn’t be expecting to lose to a team that was middle of the road in the AAC last year. Hell, we only lost by 10 to these jokers last year with a coach who got fired at the end of the year.

11 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

It's just smart marketing.

I could not disagree more with this. I think it’s lazy marketing and doesn’t put much faith in our own team. I want this team to win the Homecoming game over an opponent that casual fans might know about. We need to not focus on what “every program does” and get creative to find what works for UNT. I want those casual fans to come back. Winning a game that we “should win” just doesn’t move the needle as much for fans coming back, in my opinion.

• Upvote 2