Rosters for Saturday

El Paso Eagle

I am surprised they even have spring games anymore.

It seems to me it could be a good way to create some early interest in the program and give the players a little something to look forward to.   

Now the spring games have morphed into a glorified mostly uninteresting scrimmage. 

The coaches apparently don't want to give even a hint to the public about the quality of the players or what formations they are planning to run.   The possibility of injury that has always been there, is now cited as a rationale to curtailing much of what would go on in a normal game (ie: punt and kickoff returns, tackling the quarterback, evenly matched teams, etc.)

• Skeptical Eagle 1

I think these games probably had the fans in mind years ago, but I think they have morphed into a practice to get the players a little bit of love from some fans and end spring ball with a practice that’s not “just like yesterday.”

That said, I like the things the athletic department is doing to make it more fan friendly like the youth clinic, the reception on the club level, discounts at concessions and team store, making it an athletic village wide event with the other sports having stuff going on.

Should be a fun time to get your Mean Green fix.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Now the spring games have morphed into a glorified mostly uninteresting scrimmage. 

News flash..... they have always been glorified, uninteresting scrimmages. They have already put in all the work and this is just for show.  And yes, it will be boring.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, UNT86 said:

News flash..... they have always been glorified, uninteresting scrimmages. They have already put in all the work and this is just for show.  And yes, it will be boring.

I’ve seen a couple posts about what would make it more interesting. How much effort should be made by the team/staff to entertain the fans?

If this is really an event for fans, then you appeal to them. If this meant strictly for spring preparations/team needs, then you don’t do much besides let’s them (fans) watch.

I wish that I could be there.

I want to see outstanding players on offense and defense.  I want to hear who has impressed on both sides of the ball.  I'd like to see which quarterback  can lead the team most effectively.  Outstanding plays on both sides of the ball. 

I'd like to hear from anyone there...their opinion, Bret's opinion and especially Coach 24's analysis.   

Might be able to attend today. I love watching Horton with the ball in his hands on offense, not just special teams. I hope the new staff still calls his number a decent amount of times this year on jets, screens, handoffs. Not sure he can be a pure wr but his speed and quickness remind me a lot of Darden, exciting to watch

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, Coltonw83 said:

Might be able to attend today. I love watching Horton with the ball in his hands on offense, not just special teams. I hope the new staff still calls his number a decent amount of times this year on jets, screens, handoffs. Not sure he can be a pure wr but his speed and quickness remind me a lot of Darden, exciting to watch

I get what you are saying hut hebis a little small and much too valuable on special teams to risk injury.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

On 4/21/2023 at 11:28 PM, UNT86 said:

According to Coach Morris, he put more weight on the QBs' performance in the spring game than on any other practice or scrimmage (yes, I'm paraphrasing).

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1