Spring games against other schools?

No way G5 AD's go for an arrangement of playing "money" spring games. If nothing else, the spring game is prime opportunity to get fans/boosters on campus so necessary hands can be shaken and greetings made, etc. Of course, in Freeze's world, Auburn and Alabama benefit and Troy and UAB lose out.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jdennis82 said:

Of course, in Freeze's world, Auburn and Alabama benefit and Troy and UAB lose out.

I tend to agree with you. I’d love to hear more about the scenario he is pitching. My guess is you’re onto something. He’s not suggesting he would load his guys up and take them to play at UAB or that Saban is loading his guys up and taking them to play at Troy. He wants the little ole UAB’s and Troy’s of the world to come play his guys at Auburn.

• Upvote 2

If a rule were set that is was a 1 for 1 exchange with no exceptions, I would be all for it.  Also transfers of players between the schools without a mandatory sit out year (that doesn't take away an eligible year) should be implemented.  In conference scrimmages should be prohibited also.  I would love to see Houston scrimmage here or vice versa. Hell what would really be cool imo is exclusively FCS vs FBS scrimmage with all the rules I mentioned in place.  You could even stipulate that FCS players can opt out of the scrimmage and preserve their eligibility to transfer to that FBS school without sitting out the mandatory sit out year.  I think that would be a great way to help support FCS programs as regular season games between FCS and FBS diminish

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

34 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

If a rule were set that is was a 1 for 1 exchange with no exceptions, I would be all for it.  Also transfers of players between the schools without a mandatory sit out year (that doesn't take away an eligible year) should be implemented.  In conference scrimmages should be prohibited also.  I would love to see Houston scrimmage here or vice versa. Hell what would really be cool imo is exclusively FCS vs FBS scrimmage with all the rules I mentioned in place.  You could even stipulate that FCS players can opt out of the scrimmage and preserve their eligibility to transfer to that FBS school without sitting out the mandatory sit out year.  I think that would be a great way to help support FCS programs as regular season games between FCS and FBS diminish

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Haha 5

Why can't the SEC schools just scrimmage each other? I don't see why G5 schools have to be a part of his plan.

What is our gain for scrimmaging a BIG 12 school or Texas, aside from them maybe sending us money? 

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

Sounds like an opportunity for illegal tampering by the big guys to start even earlier in the year than normal.

There is so much tampering already; would this make a difference?

It could go both ways - Several backups on the "power" teams, knowing they might not get playing time, could take this opportunity to look at their options.