Matthew Stone Apology Form

Jonnyeagle

43 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Stone hits double digits for one game this season. Now is a legend? 

Yes, he also had the best +/- for the game I’m pretty sure. That alone deserves an apology from myself because of how hard I’ve been on him LOL

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

56 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Yes, he also had the best +/- for the game I’m pretty sure. That alone deserves an apology from myself because of how hard I’ve been on him LOL

I've been hard on him the most and got down voted for it, but averaging 3.0 points a game for a guy we recruited as a shooter? 

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 5

54 minutes ago, Big Z said:

I've been hard on him the most and got down voted for it, but averaging 3.0 points a game for a guy we recruited as a shooter? 

Stats don't paint the whole picture. Many of his shots early in the season were 3s at the end of the shot clock because everybody plays hot potato and nobody would take the shot until it got to him and he had no choice. Those are low percentage shots. Since the starters have been healthy, he's the 5th option pretty much any time he's on the court. Unless it's a lay-up or an open 3, his light is about as red as it gets. I don't think it's a question of being capable, I think it's just not the way they want the offense flowing. He's in for defense. He's one of our best perimeter defenders and anybody who's just now seeing his value hasn't been paying attention.

Back to scoring, we all know we play a slow pace. Points per game are low on our team because of it. Eady is averaging 7ppg less than last year and Martinez is averaging 10 less ppg. Looking at points per game, regardless of why we believe a guy was recruited, is not going to be a good indicator of their performance in this system.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Big Z said:

We didn’t recruit him as a shooter, where did you gather that from. In HS he was better from inside than outside 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

We didn’t recruit him as a shooter, where did you gather that from. In HS he was better from inside than outside 

Grant himself, he scored a 1,000 points at his HS and also Rivals has him listed as a shooting guard. 

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Grant himself, he scored a 1,000 points at his HS and also Rivals has him listed as a shooting guard. 

So there's never once been a shooting guard who was in for defense and not scoring? Tony Allen (3 time NBA all defensive first team, 3 time second team) was listed as a shooting guard and was not a scorer. DeShawn Stevenson was another low scoring defensive shooting guard. Patrick Beverley is listed as a point guard but that doesn't mean he's in to be a distributor either.

If we're being real, Stone may be listed as a guard but in a traditional 1-5, he'd occupy the 3 spot. At times he was even the 4 against UTEP.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

We were at risk of him being the 5, too when Sissoko picked up his fourth foul.

I wonder if Morgan would have been called in but with limited experience, that would have been rough to bring him in cold into OT. Hopefully Martinez gets healthy. We've got much more depth that last season but that gets dicey if Martinez is hurt.

• Upvote 3

Can’t believe the hype on a kid that wouldn’t be getting any PT for most  programs in the country. His only job is to not hurt the team. Never in my life have I seen a worse box out; when the entire arena knew an intentional missed Free throw was the only hope the opposing team had. 

In his defense, he does start and play significant minutes. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

34 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Can’t believe the hype on a kid that wouldn’t be getting any PT for most  programs in the country. His only job is to not hurt the team. Never in my life have I seen a worse box out; when the entire arena knew an intentional missed Free throw was the only hope the opposing team had. 

A guy playing 16 minutes per game for a team that's 23-5 and the second best defensive team in the country couldn't get any playing time for most programs in the country? This is one of the worst takes I've seen on this board. Good job.

We love to tear down our own no matter how good the team is doing. Grant is a great coach who's got the program rolling. If he's playing a guy, there's a reason why.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Cooley said:

His hustle is inspiring, and he has had some great minutes lately.

Might be worth looking at one of those websites that provides advanced analytics, specifically +/- numbers when Stone is on the floor.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

His hustle is inspiring, and he has had some great minutes lately.

Might be worth looking at one of those websites that provides advanced analytics, specifically +/- numbers when Stone is on the floor.

Agreed.  If he could ever find his shot he could be superb, possibly even all conference caliber.