Attendance Sucks. What to do about it!!

KeithLee

On 2/14/2023 at 2:03 PM, Dannymacfan said:

I hear you but I still think winning consistently is the key.  After that and perhaps as important is winning key "opportunity" games.  Littrell was horrible at that.  An example would be the Mean Joe HOF game against La. Tech and of course the many openers as well as home games with SMU that were basically over in the first half.  You cannot do that and build any type of consistent attendance. 

How long would that take?  And what criteria?  Three straight conference championships and bowl wins?  Three nine win seasons within five years?  Of course, consistent would no doubt boost attendance but I believe that the time frame would be at minimum three consecutive years.  We need to strike now while the iron is hot.  New athletic conference.  New coaching staff.  Some great recruiters for the next few years.  If we are ever going to be successful, now is the time.  We have to sell give us a try for a couple of years and see if we are more successful and entertaining.

• Upvote 1

There are many good suggestions to be found in this thread. Winning constantly will help but not completely cure the problem. There is also the issue of declining attendance across all of football, even the big boys. I can go to any UNT away game and see nothing but empty seats...MTSU, Charlotte, ODU, etc.

I will agree with NorthTexasWeLove on one thing, it seems that UNT almost has an open admission policy.  Last I saw, the admissions rate was about 85%.  When a decision to attend any given university is made due to convenience and ease, rather than desire and hard work, the student body is bound to be less than enthusiastic about campus life, no matter sports, cultural events, or whatever else.

My wife has worked at Duke for 25+ years and I sometimes enjoy attending one of their football games.  In years past, they would average paid attendance at around 15K. Actual attendance was much less. You may enjoy taking a look at what they did to increase attendance from 15K to 24.5K in one year.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2022/12/duke-football-mike-elko-wallace-wade-stadium-tailgate-marketing-culture#:~:text=Resoundingly%2C yes.,leaping to 24%2C505 from 15%2C424.

30 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

There are many good suggestions to be found in this thread. Winning constantly will help but not completely cure the problem. There is also the issue of declining attendance across all of football, even the big boys. I can go to any UNT away game and see nothing but empty seats...MTSU, Charlotte, ODU, etc.

I will agree with NorthTexasWeLove on one thing, it seems that UNT almost has an open admission policy.  Last I saw, the admissions rate was about 85%.  When a decision to attend any given university is made due to convenience and ease, rather than desire and hard work, the student body is bound to be less than enthusiastic about campus life, no matter sports, cultural events, or whatever else.

My wife has worked at Duke for 25+ years and I sometimes enjoy attending one of their football games.  In years past, they would average paid attendance at around 15K. Actual attendance was much less. You may enjoy taking a look at what they did to increase attendance from 15K to 24.5K in one year.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2022/12/duke-football-mike-elko-wallace-wade-stadium-tailgate-marketing-culture#:~:text=Resoundingly%2C yes.,leaping to 24%2C505 from 15%2C424.

I like the jersey given out to the freshman class each year.

• Upvote 4

I still like the idea of promoting Social Media presence.  Pay-for promotions that get our presence onto the eyes of everyone scrolling Insta/FB.  Especially people who don't normally follow athletics.  It's super cheap.  Pay < $50 and you tell the system(s) to promote your ad on tons of devices within a 10+ mile radius.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I still like the idea of promoting Social Media presence.  Pay-for promotions that get our presence onto the eyes of everyone scrolling Insta/FB.  Especially people who don't normally follow athletics.  It's super cheap.  Pay < $50 and you tell the system(s) to promote your ad on tons of devices within a 10+ mile radius.

I think the football staff has improved their presence immensely with what coach O is doing.

• Upvote 4

On 2/14/2023 at 11:06 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

1. Significantly limit transfer students. Transfers are dopes that have or care to have zero connection to UNT. Why even let them on campus? 

I transferred to UNT after attending SFA, Richland College and UT-Arlington. UNT became my forever school.

• Upvote 3

On 2/16/2023 at 3:55 PM, letsgiveacheer said:

I'm not sure what this has to do with attendance but let's talk about the acceptance rate.  First, UNT is considered a selective university; based on the required SAT or ACT.  Last year the acceptance rate was 71%.  This year, without lowering any standard, the acceptance rate is 85.1%.  In other words we had higher qualifiers taking the tests than before.   It's not Duke but it's not a glorified junior college either.  We have become a Carnegie Category 1 university.  We have hired some highly qualified professors to tenured chairs at some pretty substantial bucks.  UNT is gaining stature each year and more people want to attend.  If you haven't seen the campus lately, I suggest you make a trip back.  

• Upvote 3

On 2/14/2023 at 3:54 PM, Matt from A700 said:

Although we have over 40,000 students, the sad truth is that too many kids who actually aspire to go to UNT when applying for colleges are attending for programs in art, music, film, etc. -- I don't what to stereotype, but most of these kids aren't interested in sports.

We need to raise our profile around the area and state. Winning will help that. Make more high school kids see UNT as more than a cheap back-up. Too many P5 school gear on UNT's campus.

Here’s some ideas.  Maybe a student could approach the President’s office to solicit funds for: 

1) 1,000 generic North Texas shirts, and then set up a table in front of the union to exchange those shirts for shirts from other universities.  Maybe call it something catchy like “campus cleanup”.
2) Yard signs to distribute put up around campus encouraging kids to wear green on Fridays.  Maybe call it Friday Pride Day or something.  Perhaps even get Voertman’s to give a discount on Fridays for students wearing North Texas gear.  
3) Start a “mini bonfire” where student organizations build their own small versions of the bonfire and then have them judged at the real event.  Hell, maybe even throw some of those T-shirts from other schools on the bonfire to burn them.

Heck, maybe the school’s administration could even ask said student to take these ideas and run with them after the kid graduates, after seeing how successful they were in year one.  

I personally feel like it could work…and maybe already did way back in 2000-2001.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2

I'd like to see a committee consisting of four or so from student government, the same amount from the Athletic Department including the Assistant Athletic Director and several alumni and/or athlete's parents.  If possible have the first meeting at or near the time of the spring scrimmage.  If more are needed get them from new students, Invite Dr. Smatresk if he would care to attend.  I'd have the Assistant Athletic Director as the chairman since he is an officer of the university. Of course, AD Jared Mosley would also be welcome to attend.  I personally wish that there could be four scholarships for the spring semester drawn at each home game.  Maybe a BOGO for the Wing Zone.  There are endless possibilities for promotions.  Maybe some of them won't work but eliminate them and try another.  

Woops!!! I just saw Jared Moseley's post about a stakeholder.  Not sure what it is but I don't want to usurp his plans for improved attendance.  Put this in the back of your mind for possibly something for the future.

Edited by GrayEagle