Morris’ assistants

Cr1028

2 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Joel Filani should be a top candidate to come with Morris. 

Cobbs, Mayes, and Clements could all be retained, especially to assist with the run game side. 

I think it would be wise to keep the 3 you named for what they did with the OL, RB, TEs… also it would hopefully keep guys those position groups from losing guys to the portal potentially.

1 minute ago, p_phelps said:

So how have we upgraded 

The question about how would it be an upgrade… the 3 coaches names are the 3 spots on offense that produced solid to productive players for this position groups. We need to see improvements at QB and WR and just overall play calling. 

i feel like depending on the staff, Morris is likely the one to call plays, which I think will ne an improvement over our past.

• Upvote 4

I think it's a given that Clements will be gone to a P5 job, he did a great job here. Him, Ryan Walters, Filani and the ex Cowboys RB now at Georgia Tech were probably the best position coach hires SL made in my opinion.

But I would love if we brought back Filani or hired Emmett Jones as OC.

Edited by ntmeangreen11

3 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I think it's a given that Clements will be gone to a P5 job, he did a great job here. Him, Ryan Walters, Filani and the ex Cowboys RB now at Georgia Tech were probably the best position coach hires SL made in my opinion.

You’re thinking of Tashard Choice.

also, Walters was a McCarney hire.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

No doubt someone like Morris, would call the plays I assume… 

but I was asking if Jones has had call them players before, because if he has not that would likely force someone like Morris to do it, or hire another offensive coach to do it. 

Is this what we want?    Don't we want a legit OC to call plays?

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

And Carthel as DC

Honestly, I have no idea Carthel leaning in terms of Offensive/defensive HC but I would be fine with something like this. Carthel with his connections and track record at HC would be a solid help to Morris, and Carthel is also someone who if Morris has success and is gone in 2-3 years that could step in and continue what the program is potentially doing

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Is this what we want?    Don't we want a legit OC to call plays?

I would want a proven play caller at OC to allow Morris to focus on HC roles, but with that being said… I would be fine with Morris calling plays if it allowed for someone like E Jones to come from TT to UNT, because his recruiting connections are that good.