Big 12… this

Wag Tag

I definitely agree w/ the flex scheduling option. Create a larger conference, maybe have your first 6 or 8 games be hard-scheduled, then go with a soft-schedule that allows the top teams to play each other and improve their strength of schedule. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of this actually being considered in our conference or any G5 conference for that matter.... It would be great to create an alliance between the remaining G5 conferences to have this flex/soft scheduling.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Snowy said:

I definitely agree w/ the flex scheduling option. Create a larger conference, maybe have your first 6 or 8 games be hard-scheduled, then go with a soft-schedule that allows the top teams to play each other and improve their strength of schedule. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of this actually being considered in our conference or any G5 conference for that matter.... It would be great to create an alliance between the remaining G5 conferences to have this flex/soft scheduling.

Most of the G5 schools will not be smart enough to work together until the P5 schools break away and then they have to

• Upvote 1

I certainly disagree with a lot of assumptions in the article.  Even at its height the Big 12 was always bottom of the P5 in brand recognition or tied with the ACC at the bottom at best.  [The formation of the ACC network solidified that last place position which hugely factored into Oklahoma and Texas leaving.  Timeline: ACC Network goes online Fall 2019, Texas & Oklahoma start clandestine talks to join SEC late 2020 or early 2021 is not a coincidence imo] Of the teams mentioned only Cincinnati & BYU really   have 1st or 2nd place College Football market share in their respective markets.  You can’t logically downgrade North Texas and Houston citing the in state presence of the Sooners Texas A&M and UT Austin without doing the same for any school in the state of Florida without acknowledging the Gators, Seminoles and Hurricanes.  Those 3 teams dominate the the college football eyeballs in Florida.  Also in northern Florida their are a ton of Georgia Bulldog fans just like we have Sooner  fans around here.  I think the only way the Big 12 considers something like this is,  if and only if the PAC 12 enters the state of Texas without grabbing anyone that is in the Big 12 right now.  And even if they did make this move I think PAC 12 seriously considers Houston and North Texas.  That is assuming there is an iron clad conference contract with the new Big 12 (16) that penalizes teams from leaving for the next decade at a level similar to what UT and OU MIGHT end up paying now.  With all that said, I think (maybe in delusional way) that if the PAC 12 decides to expand they add us and Houston around the time UT and the Sooners actually start playing in the SEC if they don’t add OSU and Tech.

[The writer in the article pointed it out the mascots carrying guns.  I don’t think the PAC 12 likes the idea of adding two hicktowns that love guns to their conference.] 

Edited by Mike Jackson
Mistakes with conference names and grammar
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1