CUSA West Tiebreaker

MGNation92

So right now we sit at first in the West with a 4-1 record, with wins over UAB, Southern Miss, and UT San Antonio, all of whom have two losses.

If LaTech beats us, they'll be 3-2 in conference, and we'll be in 4-2 so they would technically be in first due to head to head(assuming they win out). LaTech has UTSA, UTEP and FAU while we have Rice and UTEP

I like our chances of winning the west even if we don't win this game. If LaTech beats us, they'll have to win out in conference(unlikely) to win the west. 

Of course if we win this we're pretty much in the drivers seat and would only need to win 1 out of UTEP and Rice to clinch the West, since we would have a head to head win over all the other contenders.

Just some thoughts as we get closer to game day.

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

That UAB loss to Charlotte looms huge. Also, La Tech plays FAU next week

I'm rooting for everyone else in the west to lose and so yes, I am rooting for FAU next week.

Assuming we win, I will amend this to root for FAU. We want them to have two losses in conference so we could host the title game here in Denton.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

If LaTech beats us, they'll be 3-2 in conference, and we'll be in 4-2 so they would technically be in first due to head to head(assuming they win out). LaTech has UTSA, UTEP and FAU while we have Rice and UTEP

LA Tech would take precedence over UNT following the Army game, assuming both teams win out.  Until then UNT would remainin first place based on in conference winning percentage. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

LA Tech would take precedence over UNT following the Army game, assuming both teams win out.  Until then UNT would remainin first place based on in conference winning percentage. 

You're right. Luckily, if it comes to it, I don't see them beating both UTSA and FAU, so I like our chances of beating UTEP and Rice more than I like theirs.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

So right now we sit at first in the West with a 4-1 record, with wins over UAB, Southern Miss, and UT San Antonio, all of whom have two losses.

I like our chances of winning the west even if we don't win this game. If LaTech beats us, they'll have to win out in conference(unlikely) to win the west.

That is all well and good, but what will happen if UNT loses to LaTech but then everybody (UAB, USM, UNT and LaTech) wins out and finishes 6-2 or some threesome (UNT, LaTech and one of UAB/USM)?

Edited by outoftown
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, outoftown said:

That is all well and good, but what will happen if we lose to LaTech but then everybody (UAB, USM, UNT and LaTech) wins out and finishes 6-2 or some threesome (UNT, LaTech and one of UAB/USM)?

I believe we would win the West, because we had a better record against in division opponents, since we would only lose to 1 west team, whereas LaTech has lost against USM and UAB where we beat them. 

• Lovely Take 1

28 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I believe we would win the West, because we had a better record against in division opponents, since we would only lose to 1 west team, whereas LaTech has lost against USM and UAB where we beat them. 

So what you are saying is, that not only does LaTech need to beat UNT, they also need both UAB and USM to lose once more, in order to have a shot at the division.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

From WIKI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conference_USA_Football_Championship_Game#Three_or_more-team_procedure

Two-team tie-breaker procedure

1. Highest regular season winning percentage based on overall Conference USA play.
  2. If tied, head to head between tied teams.
  3. If still tied, team with highest CFP ranking.

Three or more-team procedure

(Once the tie has been reduced to two teams, go to the two-team tie-breaker format.)

1. Highest regular season winning percentage based on overall CUSA play.
  2. If tied, head to head between tied teams.
  3. If still tied, highest winning percentage within division.
  4. If still tied, compare records against divisional opponents in descending order of finish.
  5. If still tied, compare records with common cross-divisional opponents.
  6. If still tied, compare records against cross-divisional opponents in descending order of finish.
  7. If still tied, team with highest CFP ranking.
  8. If still tied, the representative will be the team that has not participated in the championship game most recently.
  9. If at any point the tie is broken in a multiple team tie, the remaining teams will begin the process again at #2.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming an NT Loss vs LT and everyone wins out from then on (UTSA excluded since they are on LT's and UAB's schedule)

NT conf 6-2 , div 5-1
LT conf 6-2 , div 4-2
UAB conf 6-2 , div 4-2

So at this point NT would go to the CUSA title game based on the third tiebreaker -- highest winning percentage within division.

Edited by aztecskin
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1