UNT receives largest gift bequest, recognizes top donors

Harry

Paul Voertman standing in his namesake concert hall.

The University of North Texas announced today that it will receive the largest bequest in its history from the estate of Paul R. Voertman, the former owner of Denton’s iconic Voertman’s Bookstore and a local patron of art and music. Voertman died June 21, 2017, at the age of 88.

View Full Article

Voertman and Richard Ardoin, his partner of 48 years, were extremely generous to UNT during their lifetimes. Ardoin, who died in 2002, made a significant estate gift to UNT that includes a charitable trust. With Voertman’s bequest, the couple’s combined giving to UNT totals more than $15 million, making them UNT’s top donors.

18 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

What a generous man with a lasting legacy.  I have GOT to remember to start buying things at Voertmans again (assuming the family is still involved).  I’ve so rarely gotten to that side of campus the last couple years.  

They are not involved.  The store sucks so bad they should be forced to remove the name.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

They are not involved.  The store sucks so bad they should be forced to remove the name.

Yeah but I’d imagine that’s a result of Amazon/Barnes & Noble/etc.  Hard to survive when you’re a mom and Pop bookstore.  Last time I was in there the inventory was sparse and mostly made up of spiral journals and bags of peanut m&m’s.  Would be nice to see it become relevant again...it’d be nice to have a staple store (instead of literally it being a “staple” store like it is right now) down there.   

Edited by tmjerm

Just now, tmjerm said:

Yeah but I’d imagine that’s a result of Amazon/Barnes & Noble/etc.  Hard to survive when you’re a mom and Pop bookstore.  Last time I was in there the inventory was sparse and mostly made up of spiral journals and bags of peanut m&m’s.  Would be nice to see it become relevant again...it’d be nice to have a staple store (instead of literally it being a “staple” store like it is right now) down there.   

I think it is more a result of a big corporation taking it over and not caring.  They ran the place in the ground and that is too bad.

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Paul Voertman standing in his namesake concert hall.

The University of North Texas announced today that it will receive the largest bequest in its history from the estate of Paul R. Voertman, the former owner of Denton’s iconic Voertman’s Bookstore and a local patron of art and music. Voertman died June 21, 2017, at the age of 88.

View Full Article

Was this not announced years ago?  Anyway, great gift from Mr. Voertman.