Week 8 Bowl Projections

AustinFromUNT

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I want whatever gives UNT the most money... I could be wrong, but don't the schools get reimbursed for travel expenses?

I think the teams turn the bowl games funds over to the conference, who then disperses the monies equal shares (with the bowl teams getting bigger shares, but still equal to each other).  So it doesn't really matter which bowl game you get to, you're getting the same payout as the other bowl teams in CUSA.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think the teams turn the bowl games funds over to the conference, who then disperses the monies equal shares (with the bowl teams getting bigger shares, but still equal to each other).  So it doesn't really matter which bowl game you get to, you're getting the same payout as the other bowl teams in CUSA.

That's what I thought.. 

When I meant more money for UNT, I want to see CUSA get the largest total bowl game payouts - the lowest possible travel costs.. Yes that doesn't mean UNT gets more money compared to other schools, I meant it as UNT gets more $...

Yes in a perfect world I would like to see someone like UTSA go to Hawaii or outside of the country, but Show me the money!

20 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

That's what I thought.. 

When I meant more money for UNT, I want to see CUSA get the largest total bowl game payouts - the lowest possible travel costs.. Yes that doesn't mean UNT gets more money compared to other schools, I meant it as UNT gets more $...

Yes in a perfect world I would like to see someone like UTSA go to Hawaii or outside of the country, but Show me the money!

How about we root for UTSA to lose another 4 games?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Honestly, with the trajectory we're on, I think something would have to go wrong for either of those bowls.  C-USA is not going to send a champ or runner-up to play the SBC champ in NO.   And I think the NM Bowl is down in the CUSA bowl pecking order, playing a mid-range MWC team.    But, we'll see.  I know I'd be at either game.

Why do you think CUSA would not send a 1 or 2 to play the Belt camp in probably the best bowl location available?  We talk about the P5 getting all the attention and than opt for a game against a 6-6 P5 instead of G5 champion.   Also I am not sure the conference has a lot of input in the bowls anymore.  

More publicity playing Nebraska for example vs the number 1 Belt although; Appalachian State is currently rated higher on the Massey Composite than Nebraska.  Nebraska also would probably bring a bigger crowd.   So there is rationale to pick the bigger name school, but the reality is is that either game would be a heck of a match.  

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

How about we just worry about winning and hoping CUSA has success? The more success in CUSA the better.. even if it means UTSA gets into a bowl

I hate UTSA enough to not want them in a bowl. You can wish for that but I’ll keep my furry against them with me. I want what’s best for UNT and that means having local Texas CUSA teams in the dumpster like Rice and UTEP already are. More recruits on the table for us, meaning more bowl games for us and less for them. If the conference goes to 9 bowl games, we get 1/9 of the “prestige” pot anyways. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I believe there is no way they would send us to HoD for the second year in a row, especially since it's not a CUSA bowl this year. And I can't imagine we'd play Army for the 4th time in 2 years; it was ridiculous enough that they had us play them in last year's bowl. If we win the conference, I think they would choose New Orleans to bring back those '01-'04 days. Otherwise, my money is on New Mexico. Us and UTSA are going to be the only texas schools in CUSA to be bowl-eligible, so one of us is likely to go out there for geographical reasons (the furthest west schools in CUSA). UTSA went there last year, they would probably go to Armed Forces and play Army; while we would go out to Albuquerque. For mid major conferences they try to send schools to places that make geographic sense.

I'd be happy either way, we'd get a good crowd in both places. But yeah I would love UTSA to be as far away from Texas as possible.

GMG

• Thanks 1