Starters to Play Special Teams

KRAM1

During the Kickoff Luncheon yesterday, Coach Littrell stated that starters will be playing on special teams this season aka Frank Beamer! He stated that you have to win two of the three phases of a game to have a good chance of winning and that Special Teams is one of those phases.

For me, even given the injury risk, I really like this decision. To me, it says the Mean Green are serious about winning the Special Teams battle.  Lots of games won or loss by special teams play. Will be interesting to watch how this turns out.  Been working out pretty well for the Beamer. Let's go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is not new. Tommy Perry used starters on special teams often. That's how we were so good in '13 on special teams. Trice was out there blocking kicks like crazy.

Orr, Akunne, Jackson, Trice, and Pegram are a few starters I saw playing special teams in the '13 season.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Yeah people are concerned about starters getting hurt, like Guyton returning kicks. Southern Miss has Allenzae Staggers, arguably their best WR, as the number one guy for returns. If he can do it and do it better than anyone else, then go for it.

Exactly. We have starters go down in practice. You never know when an injury is going to occur so you can't coach with fear of injury in mind (unless the score is incredibly lopsided).

1 minute ago, DT 90 said:

Breland Chancellor NEVER returned a kickoff or punt......

Already covered.
Brelan = Amazing game-changer on special teams.  No one was anywhere even remotely close to him in effectiveness while he was here.  The risk/reward is off the charts.
This year = lets throw a whole bunch of guys out there (including Kishawn McClain, a Thorpe Award finalist Safety who is not used to having the ball offensively) and see what sticks.  No one setting themselves apart.  The risk/reward is very low.