DRC: New special teams coordinator Biagi has pick of litter

Brett Vito

Just now, BillySee58 said:

When was the last time one of our return men was injured returning kicks (or punts)? I think it's a relatively low injury-risk position, across the board. If he's our best returner then I want him returning kicks. 

I dunno,  but when was the last time a guy NOT fielding punts/kickoffs was injured fielding punts/kickoffs?
Also, not necessarily in a Mean Green uniform, but here's a valid answer for you:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000550115/Cowboys-Lance-Dunbar-hurt-on-kick-return

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I dunno,  but when was the last time a guy NOT fielding punts/kickoffs was injured fielding punts/kickoffs?
Also, not necessarily in a Mean Green uniform, but here's a valid answer for you:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000550115/Cowboys-Lance-Dunbar-hurt-on-kick-return

I get that, but I don't think his risk of injury becomes significantly higher by playing a full season of safety plus returning 40 or so kicks than it would be just from playing a full season of safety. Lance Dunbar hasn't been able to stay healthy at any position in the NFL, and we both know that. If he is our best guy for the job then I hope he's our guy back there. I just don't see injuries at the kick returner position frequently enough, especially in college and at the CUSA level, for it to scare me about having our best player back there anymore than having him at safety a full season scares me in terms of injury. 

If we do not put our better players on special teams, we will continue to be in the bottom party the conference on returns.  Poor returns lead to poor field position which leads to less scoring.  On average, we would have been better off to take a touchback on any kick inside the five.  Just stand back and let it go into the end zone.  We must do better.  We worry about QBs and WRs.  We should also be concerned about giving them positive field position.

7 minutes ago, Graddean said:

If we do not put our better players on special teams, we will continue to be in the bottom party the conference on returns.  Poor returns lead to poor field position which leads to less scoring.  On average, we would have been better off to take a touchback on any kick inside the five.  Just stand back and let it go into the end zone.  We must do better.  We worry about QBs and WRs.  We should also be concerned about giving them positive field position.

I'm a little worried about Guyton.   I'm VERY worried about our very best player.   If that's the decision the coaches make, then that's the decision they make.

49 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm a little worried about Guyton.   I'm VERY worried about our very best player.   If that's the decision the coaches make, then that's the decision they make.

Were you as worried about Brelan Chancellor?

As memory serves me, that's a shady proposition these days, Chancellor was our main return man as a freshman and he went off on Kansas State.  Would one of our freshmen be good in this role?  Thinking Darden or Siggers.

Edited by UNTLifer

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Were you as worried about Brelan Chancellor?

No, because Brelan was a very obvious game-changing playmaker when returning.  
Right now, with all the guys they have in the mix, it doesn't seem like they have that kind of player... and they're just throwing guys out there to see who sticks.   If the margins are that close, may as well go with someone else instead of risking your very best player.  A guy who is not used to having the ball in his hands like a WR or RB is.

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No, because Brelan was a very obvious game-changing playmaker when returning.  
Right now, with all the guys they have in the mix, it doesn't seem like they have that kind of player... and they're just throwing guys out there to see who sticks.   If the margins are that close, may as well go with someone else instead of risking your very best player.  A guy who is not used to having the ball in his hands like a WR or RB is.

But we were talking about the speculation that this could lead to increased injuries.

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

But we were talking about the speculation that this could lead to increased injuries.

That may be what you're talking about.
I'm talking about RISK.   The RISK/REWARD with Brelan Chancellor was through the roof on the reward side.  No one was in the same neighborhood as him when it came to effectiveness returning kicks.
With no one clearly setting themselves apart as a returner this Fall, the RISK/REWARD is not nearly as high for any involved.

• Upvote 1

A lot of games are won by special teams.   Not putting your best players on those teams because of risk of injury is stupid.   KO returns are not anymore dangerous than just running the ball.   Punt returns are, but again it is generally worth the risk.    There are advantages to having fresh bodies on special teams, but they still have to perform at a level close to that of using your best athletes.  

18 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I hear you @MeanGreenTexan, but if you are not willing to put your best players on special teams, any claims to "making special teams a priority" is just lip service.  Good special teams versus mediocre special teams could easily make a 2-3 game difference in the "W" column.

For sure.    But IF Kishawn happens to go down with an injury returning a kick, I can't imagine what the gnashing of teeth around here would look like.
I think trotting Guyton out there to field kicks would be enough to say they're interested in making special teams a priority.   Just settling for Anthony Wyche would not.

I say let whoever gives you the best shot at a big return return kicks. Names like Devin Hester, Deion Sanders, and Desmond Howard all come to mind. Special teams can be a huge game-changer. You can't play the game of football worried about injuries all the time. Play guys who give you the best shot at winning at all times.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That may be what you're talking about.
I'm talking about RISK.   The RISK/REWARD with Brelan Chancellor was through the roof on the reward side.  No one was in the same neighborhood as him when it came to effectiveness returning kicks.
With no one clearly setting themselves apart as a returner this Fall, the RISK/REWARD is not nearly as high for any involved.

I'm with you this one MGTX.  The other examples had a high reward.  Ok, some may say, how will we know what the rewards are if we don't try.

Kishawn probably hasn't returned since high school.  He has put on more weight and muscle since then. The WRs and RBs that were mentioned played positions where they were used to carrying the ball, following blocks and stopping and starting, juking and cutting.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but muscle memory is important and shouldn't be taken for granted.  I don't think it's some thing you can just jump into.  Yes, I know there are lots of DBs that return, but a lot of them have had lots of reps and practice at it.  I'm more worried about something popping versus a contact injury.

I would think one major reason kishawn is even considering it is to raise his draft stock.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We've had Jeff Wilson fielding KRs in the past, our very best player. I'm more concerned about fatigue.