Tashard Choice Joins Mean Green Staff In Quality Control Role

Harry

57 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That's not really a fair question either, since no one from the 2017 class has even played a down of football yet.  How would anyone even know who's a bust from 2017?
But, from the 2016 class... Will Johnson, Raveon Hoston, Cody Hayes, Devin O'Hara, Anthony Wyche.... Those are just the JUCO guys.  As for the HS guys, it's too early to tell because several of them are still Freshmen.  
Heck, if you ask some people on here, they'd say Fine is also a bust since we've already got the best of him, and he's done nothing but regress while he's been here.

I mean, post Marshall and into the spring he didn't exactly look better. I think Marshall was his high point then it steadily got worse.

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Unbiased opinions ... is there really such a thing?

Sort of. It's not the popular opinion and many times I wish comments I post weren't reality. So it's not something I'm hoping for and I'm not trying to foreshadow anything. I hope that SL can continue to recruit to his forte and run roughshed on CUSA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I mean, post Marshall and into the spring he didn't exactly look better. I think Marshall was his high point then it steadily got worse.

Hmmm, did that timing line up with his injury?

I think we also forget that Fine came from a pretty small OK high school and 8 months after his last HS game he is playing D1 football.

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Hmmm, did that timing line up with his injury?

I think we also forget that Fine came from a pretty small OK high school and 8 months after his last HS game he is playing D1 football.

Well he didn't get hurt until WKU. All I'm saying is Fine caught the first few teams by surprise. As soon as teams had some game film on him, he started playing worse because they could play his tendencies, which largely remained the same throughout the season.

He might not have gotten worse per se, but the defenses read him like a book as the season progressed. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

not to argue with you here, but Tyler Wilson would be considered a bust right? Recruiting is still embarrassingly subpar. I mean I get finding diamonds in the rough, but we are relying on that strategy almost exclusively and that's scary. 

While we may think he is a bust, he should not be.... He came in and had 1 successful season... A bust would be someone like Morris that came in and didn't perform to what we expected. What did we expect from Wilson, not much before the season.. He went from an afterthought to start the year (in terms of success we thought he would have) to a luxury item that step up when the WR depth was lacked. 

I will say I was Team-Morris in terms of him getting pulled to fast, and then him preforming the last 3 games. 

Fine isn't a bust; he's just too small to play quarterback at this level on a consistently high level.  Same as Riley Dodge, he's a great athlete who would be a greater contributor at WR/Returner if we had another viable QB on the roster.

With Dodge, we did have another viable QB, but he walked away...or, saw the writing on the wall.  People will disagree about which it was.  I think it was a little a both, and have always been disappointed that Giovanni Vizza didn't just hang on and gut out his time here.  In my opinion, as things worked out, he'd have been the starter again due to Riley's injuries.

We don't run a complicated offense.  If our receivers can't get open, defenses simply will shadow Fine and continue to punish him when he pulls the ball down and runs.  And, like Dodge, he'll be beat up by year's end every season.  Dodge was so beaten that he only lasted three games at McNeese State once he transferred down to FCS.

We really need another QB to step up so Fine can be used in a position where he can use his athleticism to help the team.  During the C-USA media days, Littrell lamented the WRs not getting open enough.  My guess is, Fine would be a more disciplined and shifty route runner than the guys we had at WR in 2016.

I believe his former days as a QB would make him a smarter WR as well, more apt to understand the timing of a play and innately knowing when he might need to break off a route and get to a place where a pressured QB can be helped.  This is the type of little thing that can't really be taught.  A guy has it or he doesn't.  Fine seems to me like a gamer and student of the game who would bring that quality to WR that we haven't had, really, since JQ was confounding opponents over at Fouts.

• Downvote 1

So ben give us the solution for the problems at UNT.  We need solutions badly and if you can help please do.  The head coach has been here one season and had a decent season considering we were terrible the year before.   I will save judgement until the end of the 2nd season and see what direction the team is headed. I have no idea why any student would choose UTEP or UTSA over UNT.  I attended UTEP for a year and grew up in El Paso.  It is a great place to be from.  When I transferred to NTSU there was big difference in the school and the cities.  Denton is a college town, El Paso and SA not so much. We should beat those teams every time in recruiting but they both run a power offense and some players fit in that system better.  Why do you think we had great running backs in the past. I think Wilson is a great running back.   We were run 1st, 2nd and pass occasionally. We had fair quarterbacks because we not a passing team and the passing qb want to do just that.  The running backs wanted to run and where do go to do more of that.  I don't have any answers for the problems here and don't pretend to have any.  We should see a big improvement this year, I hope anyway.  We all know if our head coach has success he will be gone in a minute.  The same is true with Wilson.  If we win 7 this year I will say it was a really good season.

CUSA is just a rung on the coaching ladder.  If you could win here  you would have a job for life.  At the big schools 9-4 and you are on the hot seat.  Don Haskins had many offers to leave UTEP but stayed.  I went to high school with one of sons and I asked him why he won't leave UTEP.  Haskins knew he had a job for life and liked the security of it.  He was a great coach to watch but back in the day they could play basketball and there was no shot clock.  Haskins beat many teams by slowing the game down. Today basketball is more like girls basketball when they wore skirts lol. Sorry off topic.

We were 1-11 two years ago, he had somewhere around 67 scholarship players on his roster (not sure how many at the time of camp starting) went 5-8 two or three boneheaded plays away from being 6-7 and winning our bowl game.  I'm willing to see what he can do.  Maybe it's just me maybe it isn't, but he's earned my respect and I'll see how we perform this season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

We were 1-11 two years ago, he had somewhere around 67 scholarship players on his roster (not sure how many at the time of camp starting) went 5-8 two or three boneheaded plays away from being 6-7 and winning our bowl game.  I'm willing to see what he can do.  Maybe it's just me maybe it isn't, but he's earned my respect and I'll see how we perform this season. 

Add in the bonehead plays that they made vs SMU that is another regular season win...

Coulda been a totally different season if we had just focused on those 2 games.