Cam Echols-Luper Grad Transfer

49 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Can we give him a track scholie and let him walk on to the football team?  I know full track scholies are rare.  But, just asking.

I guess the threat there is that he's a head case, mistakenly believes he's an NFL talent, and, thus, never shows up for track once football season ends.

I may be wrong, but I think in the scenario above, he would have to be given a football scholarship and then run track.  It keeps "the big boys" from offering track scholarships to hide football players.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I may be wrong, but I think in the scenario above, he would have to be given a football scholarship and then run track.  It keeps "the big boys" from offering track scholarships to hide football players.

Ah, good to know.  That's likely why this kid is stuck in the situation he's in.

On 7/14/2017 at 6:07 PM, UNT86 said:

That is what happened to Marquise Goodwin at Texas.

He was signed to a track scholarship and Mack Brown offered him the opportunity to walk on for football.

When he made the football team, his scholarship became football.

Did you know Marquise Goodwins HS coaches threw him the ball as he backpedaled a bubble route instead of just running a bubble?? 🙄 (Heard via word of mouth trying to find video to confirm or deny) a coach familiar with the team says no they didn't.

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 7/14/2017 at 9:42 PM, GMG24 said:

Did you know Marquise Goodwins HS coaches threw him the ball as he backpedaled a bubble route instead of just running a bubble?? 🙄

Didn't happen.

And he is a quality young man, which is way more important. 

34 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

Didn't happen.

And he is a quality young man, which is way more important. 

Buddy of mine coached at NG, said that was the only way they stayed in game.  Anyway, you are right on second part.  He is also pretty fast.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Buddy of mine coached at NG, said that was the only way they stayed in game.  Anyway, you are right on second part.  He is also pretty fast.  

Did north garland rebrand themselves to hide the fact they are a directional school? ;)

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

Did north garland rebrand themselves to hide the fact they are a directional school? ;)

Lol NG rebranded cuz that was the worst team in TX for awhile and still may have a shot a two it.  Them and Greenville battling it out. 

I'm pretty sure that this scenario won't be happening regardless of how you feel about the seriousness of his "crime".  Remember, Seth is building team spirit and he may not want anyone who might not be a team player.  

As an aside, there are two slots available before fall practice in three weeks.  We are allowed 120 and we currently have 118.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I'm pretty sure that this scenario won't be happening regardless of how you feel about the seriousness of his "crime".  Remember, Seth is building team spirit and he may not want anyone who might not be a team player.  

As an aside, there are two slots available before fall practice in three weeks.  We are allowed 120 and we currently have 118.

Possibility of a current D1 OL transferring from west coast

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 3

Have we accounted for the BS that were given out?

Roberts the CB from OK,

Hall the JUCO CB,

Weatherspoon the OL from LD Bell,

JUCO K/P that we picked up after the Punter from NSD wasn't able to make it to campus.. 

That is 4 BS (from the top of my head) and we had 19 out of 20 from NSD make it to campus.. I'm assuming (from my understanding) we are still able to move a BS like Weatherspoon from the 2018 class to the 2017 to as well? So we can use all 20 of the scholarships and open up a slot/BS in the 2018 class. 

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Have we accounted for the BS that were given out?

Roberts the CB from OK,

Hall the JUCO CB,

Weatherspoon the OL from LD Bell,

JUCO K/P that we picked up after the Punter from NSD wasn't able to make it to campus.. 

That is 4 BS (from the top of my head) and we had 19 out of 20 from NSD make it to campus.. I'm assuming (from my understanding) we are still able to move a BS like Weatherspoon from the 2018 class to the 2017 to as well? So we can use all 20 of the scholarships and open up a slot/BS in the 2018 class. 

Three of the four that you listed are on the roster:

Roberts (#25) the CB from Ardmore OK

Weatherspoon (#66) OL from LD Bell

Kenworthy (#36) a P/K from Kilgore College (Rowlett)

There is no Hall on the roster so I assume that he didn't make it.

I'm not sure whether Roberts is a BS or PWO since he is a Freshman.  I believe that both Weatherspoon and Kenworthy will be on scholarship; probably in 2017.  Weatherspoon is a freshman also but it sounds as if he will be given a chance to compete for a starting/backup spot this fall.  At 6'4", 322 I don't believe he needs to grow.

So as it looks we have 1 or 2 possible open slots if we do the whole 5 BS shirt thing again. 1 if they can't back date the BS scholarship, or 2 if they can backdate the BS..

I'm not in favor of adding Echol as a scholarship guy because of off the field (even if its minor) plus the depth at WR and the possibly playing time as mostly a return man.

We need to find a grad-transfer or 2 that have more than 1 year of playing time left at OL and QB, maybe even LB and S to pair with McClain.

23 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Kemon Hall is the JUCO DB that is a blue shirt.  He will join the team in the fall.

Wow, Lifer. I don't get it.  247 says that he committed on April 11 and we don't list him on the roster yet?

I'd bet that all of the other BS candidates are listed.  My guess is that he has not yet attained his Associate Degree.  I've seen his video and he plays hard.  I hope that he does qualify but he's going to be so far behind that he will cost us three years to play two.  

Edited by GrayEagle

3 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Wow, Lifer. I don't get it.  247 says that he committed on April 11 and we don't list him on the roster yet?

I'd bet that all of the other BS candidates are listed.  My guess is that he has not yet attained his Apprentice Degree.  I've seen his video and he plays hard.  I hope that he does qualify but he's going to be so far behind that he will cost us three years to play two.  

He is already here on campus.. guessing he got here after the others? 

Solid CB, was one of the first by our LB coach

7 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I'd bet that all of the other BS candidates are listed.  My guess is that he has not yet attained his Apprentice Degree.  I've seen his video and he plays hard.  I hope that he does qualify but he's going to be so far behind that he will cost us three years to play two.  

I was just repeating what was written in the DRC when he announced he was coming to North Texas. 

9 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

No worries.  That was probably the situation anyway.  I had a good coach explain to me once that Spring ball is when you decide WHO is going to play.  Fall is when you get those kids game ready.  Since he missed Spring, he was looking at a backup role this year anyway.

But, if he plays as hard as you say, and is athletic enough for a scholarship in our secondary, there are lots of Special Teams where he can play and contribute.  You can NEVER have enough guys that can run, man cover, and open-field tackle.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, UNT86 said:

No worries.  That was probably the situation anyway.  I had a good coach explain to me once that Spring ball is when you decide WHO is going to play.  Fall is when you get those kids game ready.  Since he missed Spring, he was looking at a backup role this year anyway.

But, if he plays as hard as you say, and is athletic enough for a scholarship in our secondary, there are lots of Special Teams where he can play and contribute.  You can NEVER have enough guys that can run, man cover, and open-field tackle.

It worked out ok with Eric Jenkins.